Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG protest coming up this Saturday

BIG protest coming up this Saturday

Here's the circumstances (in the words of Janis Comstock, rescuer):

"Today I spoke with "Father" Jose Mercado in the Frog Hollow section of Hartford, CT at 820 Park St., the new location of the convent of the Sisters Domenica of Fatima. This is a red house at the corner of Park St. at its intersection with Putnam St., at which location a docile, neutered and vaccinated homeless cat has resided for minimally eight or nine years. I'd been told yesterday that "they" (the nuns) didn't want him around there anymore and had told a long-time feeder and care-giver of this loving kitty to "get rid of him".

It was only by sheer coincidence I'd encountered the care-giver, who'd adopted two kittens from the former colony several years before. So, there appeared to be urgency in attempting to circumvent this uprooting of an established senior cat from the area where he'd ived innocuously for years. I showed Mercado the tipped ear and told him where the neutering/vaccinations had taken place and that it could be documented easily from the vet's office. His response?: he didn't know if I was telling the truth and that he would just bring Blackie" to the Humane Society.

This fellow Mercado (unpriestly in both demeanor and language) asked how I'd like 'a rat in my house'. I explained that a cat is certainly not a rat and that since all "Big Blackie" does is sun himself alongside the building or lay in the grass on the lawn, what possible imposition could he be to anyone. He told me that he knew his rights under the law, which allowed him to call the authorities and have the cat removed, which he planned to do today. I told him it would likely be euthanized. He doesn't work for the Humane Society, he said sarcastically. He just laughed, countered with a snotty retort, and told me to take the cat and get off the property."

I've organized a protest outside the property. It's set for this Saturday, 9/8 from 11-2. I've notified the media and the newspapers. This jerk is a "Man of God" who wanted one of God's creatures killed simply because the d-bag nuns didn't like poor Blackie sunning himself. Blackie is now safe at foster home until a forever home can be found.

I just want the public AND the church to be made aware of this man's disdain and crappy attitude towards one of God's creatures. I'll take pictures and let you know how I make out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

St Francis will be waiting for Mercardo to teach him a lesson! I dont think the nuns are exactly "Christians" either Good luck with the protest!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Hardly the spirit of St. Francis! Hope the protest brings that guy's ego - and a few others - in check!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Perhaps someone could hold a sign that reads:

Love all creatures great and small. The Lord God made them all.

Perhaps this "Father" and the nuns, don't think that cats fit in this saying. Sorry - but they are heartless jerks in my book and perhaps they should take a good hard look at their "profession", and what it means. Obviously, they have lost sight along the way.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

What damage is this cat doing to convent property? Who is he hurting? So he lays in the grass getting some sunshine and maybe catch a nap, I simply don't understand what the problem is here. One would think a priest and a religious community would take a kinder and more humane attitude towards one of God's creatures.

At the church I belonged to before it closed following our Pastor's passing, a group of feral cats was being fed by the owner of the funeral home across the street. The cats would then go to Pastor's back yard with a chain link fence to play and do what cats do. Pastor loved watching them especially when the mommie cats introduced their new babies. Pastor's husband built shelters for them in the yard where they had free access. Jeff always made sure there was food and fresh water for these most welcome visitors. Seeing all the kitties in the yard before and after service was a treat we all looked forward to. Maybe this is why I find this situation so incomprehensible.

Donna, if there's a petition or anyone we can write to in support of this kitty please pass it along? Groucho and I will be with you in spirit.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Definitely a letter to the editor as well, listing the benefits of having a cat around re: pest control, etc.

To others, I am sure these are not Franciscan nuns, likely a different order.
    I've Been Frosted

Kudos to you for taking the initiative and I hope that the protest is a huge success with a big turnout, media coverage and all. Some people have attitudes towards our furry friends that I will never understand. Makes me so angry, so thanks for doing your part to help change things.

There are no petitions. Just a bunch of people trying to make the public aware of this travesty. I just found out that I need a permit from the City of Hartford to do the protest. So, I'll be off to the City of Hartford tomorrow morning to get the permit needed. I'm just glad I called ahead of time! It could've been a disaster.

Will keep you posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

To others, I am sure these are not Franciscan nuns, likely a different order.
    Does it really matter what order that they are???? IMO - they are way out of order.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Does it really matter what order that they are???? IMO - they are way out of order.
    I just mentioned that because different orders of nuns have different priorities - the Franciscans are more noted for kindness to animals, children and the poor, the Dominicans for intellectual pursuits (learning and teaching), Benedictine for discipline and silences, etc., etc.
    I've Been Frosted

I couldn't find any religious order of nuns by the name mentioned, but this address is home of this church.

http://www.parishesonline.com/script...g.asp?ID=21825 I hope someone can get through to them about how cruel
    it would be to take this cat to any Shelter.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Here's the circumstances (in the words of Janis Comstock, rescuer):

I've organized a protest outside the property. It's set for this Saturday, 9/8 from 11-2. I've notified the media and the newspapers. This jerk is a "Man of God" who wanted one of God's creatures killed simply because the d-bag nuns didn't like poor Blackie sunning himself. Blackie is now safe at foster home until a forever home can be found.

I just want the public AND the church to be made aware of this man's disdain and crappy attitude towards one of God's creatures. I'll take pictures and let you know how I make out.
    Way to go for both of you.

Too often those that we place on a pedestal, fall off. Nothing wrong with that except when they don't realize that they've fallen. Perhaps this could be a good parable? Just throwing out suggestions. I'm not perfect either.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Here are a couple of phone numbers I found for the "Reverend" Jose Mercado:
    860-728-7745
    860-522-1129
    He is affiliated with the church of St Anne, Immaculate Conception and the St Augustine Rectory. I can't find any mention of a convent at that address.
    The archbishop of the diocese is Archbishop Henry Mansell. The number of the archbisop's office is:
    860-541-6491

Just in case anyone wants to make a phone call or two....
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

dehlers43,

THANK YOU!!!!! I'm going to get on it as soon as I get back from Hartford City Hall.

Good for you, Donna!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery