Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood in the stool

You know this is really too bad. Some pet owners should educate themselves. Blood from ANYWHERE is NOT normal and could be a NUMBER of different things. If that cat did not see a doctor, than that makes me angry x10!!!
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

Would you go if this were happening to you?

Please take her, she can't take herself, she depends on you.

Could we get an update please? We're all worried.....

slick
    max & speckles

This is ridiculous and really makes me sad
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

acatsmeow. How much blood is there? If is quite a bit, then you should take her to the vet. If not, sometimes a change in their diet will cause this problem. Have you changed her food in the past month or so? When I lived in central Calif, I noticed that some of my cats had blood in their stool. But the vet told me that sometimes this willl happen when you change their diet especially when feeding them more meat/canned food.

..............wayne

Hello, there isn't alot of blood. When she goes, I don't see blood all the time, only sometimes. She is a really nervous cat, do you think that has something to do with it? and we do feed different kinds of moist and we do switch food now and then.

I love cats, personally, I wouldn't worry about it, if it is a small amount like you say. However, you might try to stabilize their diet, by not changing foods so much, and see if this helps the situation. Many of us here at Pet Talk do not feed our furkids exclusively on canned food, mostly because it does not clean their teeth, and will eventuallt build up tartar, causing eventual tooth loss. Usually I will mix a little canned food in with my kids dry food, and they really like it.

BTW, you are welcomed to Pet Talk. We are glad to have you here.

.........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 02-05-2003 at 12:51 PM.

I agree with Wayne. My cats don't like changes in diet. I would definitely stick to the same food and mix a bit of wet in with dry. Do this over the course of about a week, then gradually keep increasing the ratio of dry to wet until they are eating all dry. Then you can give a bit of wet food every now and again as a treat. Is there a reason you keep switching foods??

I'm wondering though, is the blood bright red or dark? I know that in humans if the blood is really dark (almost black) then it's a possible sign of internal problems. If it's bright red then it could just be a problem with maybe a tear in the anus??? It heals over then with a big BM, it tears again?? I do think a good diet with a substantial % of fibre might improve the situation. But I'm not saying you don't need to take her to a vet. I would watch carefully and if there is any change at all, rush Sabrina in, and in the meantime, I would still take in a stool sample for testing. Hope that helps.

slick
    max & speckles

I had a scare with Diamond last week; she passed a couple drops of bright red blood. But she had done a really big *business*. I kept an eye on her and no problems so far but if I see it again off to the white coats!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb