Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Freddie Peace *Happy update*

What a gorgeous boy! He certainly looks the picture of health! Hope the tests bear that out, or at least show something very treatable.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oof, today hurts.

Freddie is dying.

He only has about 25% kidney function left.

Due to his age, this is likely congenital. He needs to start on two medications, two supplements, prescription food, and subQ fluids. Odds are, he has less than a year left to live.

I went back and forth and around and around with myself all day, and I think that it would be in Freddie's best interest to spend his last months in the home he grew up in. I don't think it's fair to ask him to get used to four drugs, fluids, a new home, and a dog while he's on such a steep downward slope. I've emailed his foster mom and I'm waiting to hear back from her to make arrangements to get him home.

I feel just...awful. I really love him, and I am heartbroken at the turn this has taken. I know I am up to the task of caring for him and part of me is screaming to keep him, but I am genuinely trying to think of what is in Freddie's best interest.

Just my two cents.

Freddie's foster mom has many other cats. It's not her fault, but she never really noticed Freddie's litterbox habits because of the other kitties.

You would be able to give him one-on-one love and care. You'll develop more of a bond, so when Freddie leaves it might be harder for you. But he will have been loved by his very own person.

Let's hope he fools the vet and lives even longer than predicted.

{{{hugs}}}

There are others here who have gone through this, and a couple of them know some really good websites.

I found a couple. There's good info out there.

http://www.felinecrf.com/

http://www.felinecrf.org/

I wanted to add this quote from a page on the second site:

http://www.felinecrf.org/how_bad_is_it.htm
    You may well panic if your vet tells you that your cat has lost two thirds or more of his/her kidney function. I regularly hear from people who say things like "my vet told me my cat has lost 75% of kidney function and it's looking really bad".
    Take a deep breath. It is probably not as awful as you fear because it is actually normal for CKD not to be diagnosed until a cat has lost at least 66% of kidney function. The What Happens in CKD? page has more information on why this is the case.

What you need to focus on is the fact that cats with CKD can often manage quite well on limited kidney function - for some cats, things only become critical when they have lost as much as 90% of function, and there are some cats who cope astonishingly well with even less function. So the goal is, not to worry about the function that has already been lost, but to try to help your cat manage with whatever function remains for as long as possible.

This is very sad news but like Candace said maybe he'll beat the odds and live much longer. I hope that whatever happens is the best place for Freddie to be. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Oof, today hurts.

Freddie is dying.

He only has about 25% kidney function left.

Due to his age, this is likely congenital. He needs to start on two medications, two supplements, prescription food, and subQ fluids. Odds are, he has less than a year left to live.

I went back and forth and around and around with myself all day, and I think that it would be in Freddie's best interest to spend his last months in the home he grew up in. I don't think it's fair to ask him to get used to four drugs, fluids, a new home, and a dog while he's on such a steep downward slope. I've emailed his foster mom and I'm waiting to hear back from her to make arrangements to get him home.

I feel just...awful. I really love him, and I am heartbroken at the turn this has taken. I know I am up to the task of caring for him and part of me is screaming to keep him, but I am genuinely trying to think of what is in Freddie's best interest.
    Please consider keeping him. He's already started adjusting to his new home. And you and he are already bonding and developing a love for each other that I'm sure the foster mom can't match with all the animals she looks after. And as Candace said, kidney cats often last a lot longer than predicted, with good medical care and lots of love and comfort.

Loads of love to you and Freddie Peace,
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm going to add my two cents worth, too.

He's better off with you. It's easy to miss illness when you have too many.

You can give him the time and attention he deserves. Investigate holistic organic treatments for CRF to supplement his treatment. I'm am sure lots of love will help bolster his system.

and they sure can surprise us with their resiliency.

Best wishes for you and Freddie.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Please consider keeping him. He's already started adjusting to his new home. And you and he are already bonding and developing a love for each other that I'm sure the foster mom can't match with all the animals she looks after. And as Candace said, kidney cats often last a lot longer than predicted, with good medical care and lots of love and comfort.

Loads of love to you and Freddie Peace,
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I'm going to add my two cents worth, too.

He's better off with you. It's easy to miss illness when you have too many.

You can give him the time and attention he deserves. Investigate holistic organic treatments for CRF to supplement his treatment. I'm am sure lots of love will help bolster his system.

and they sure can surprise us with their resiliency.

Best wishes for you and Freddie.

Agree agree agree! It might be more confusing for him to have been with you for awhile and then to be back to his previous home. I read in another PT post that dogs live in the moment. I don't know if that is also true of cats -- but if it is, I believe he is best off with you. I'll keep praying.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Please keep Freddie. The foster Mom just doesn't have the time for him.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Folks, she feels bad enough about this. Let her make the decision she feels is best for him, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

You're right, Karen. I know we all care, but right now it will feel like heavy pressure and that's the last thing she needs.

snakemama and Freddie {{{hugs}}}

Snakemama,
    Please know that you and Freddie are very much in my prayers. Gentle lovies are sent for Freddie and comforting [[[[[HUGS]]]]] to you.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Snakemama, we are sending along prayers and love and comforting good wishes to you and Freddie. I am so sorry for adding to your distress.

God bless you both.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and
    Last edited by phesina; 09-02-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Folks, she feels bad enough about this. Let her make the decision she feels is best for him, okay?
    Agreed. We will respect your decision.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Snakemama,
    Please know that you and Freddie are very much in my prayers. Gentle lovies are sent for Freddie and comforting [[[[[HUGS]]]]] to you.
    Same here. Caring thoughts and prayers from here too,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Freddie's foster mama wants him back, she has asked me to give her a few days to rearrange foster cats so Freddie can have his own space and get the one-on-one care he needs. He likes the canned K/D, and I'll pick him up dry K/D and some RenaCare gel tomorrow. I'll also be getting a copy of the lab results to send to their vet.

I think Freddie knows something is up; I haven't been able to get him out of his cat tree this evening, so I brought his food to him.