Thread: Introducing Freddie Peace *Happy update*

Hybrid View

Introducing Freddie Peace *Happy update*

Kyubey has been struggling with separation anxiety when my hubby is not around. Since hubby is hunting for a job, we decided that we needed a friend-cat NOW, before Kyubey has to learn to adjust to a new schedule. I was dearly hoping that my foster Celeste would work out well and be a keeper, but it became clear pretty quickly that our household was totally overwhelming for her. Over the five weeks I had her, she got progressively MORE upset by the comings and goings in the household, not less. Luckily the no-kill shelter I was fostering through is well aware of that and will find her a good, quiet home.

That left me still looking for a friend for Kyubey. I also hoped to find a cat who would bond to me as solidly as Kyubey has bonded to my hubby. Those two are inseparable...and while I know Kyubey loves me, if hubby is in the room I might as well not exist!! I have always known that the next time I got to choose a cat (as opposed to the cat choosing me) I would want to look for a black cat.

So I hit petfinder looking for a sociable black cat who might fit in well. I Somehow missed Freddie in my initial searches, but once I read his bio I couldn't stop coming back to look at him. His foster mom described him as being always underfoot and involved in everything she did. She said that she named him Freddie because she had to dance like Fred Astaire to keep from tripping over him because he's always underfoot.

After exchanging a few emails with his foster mom, there was no question in my head that he was exactly the kitty I was hoping for, so he came for a home visit. Freddie has an endearing habit of hiding beneath things when he's nervous. He spent the first hour of his home visit firmly planted beneath a pillow, but he did eventually venture out and heatbutt my face. In that moment, I was his.

Freddie spent FOUR YEARS in foster care because he is a black cat, and because he gets nervous at pet fairs and hides beneath his blanket. I'm sorry he had to wait so long, but delighted to welcome him home.

Freddie came home for good a few days ago. He is living in the spare room to start with, and Kyubey has been coming in for short visits. They seem to like each other; they take turns following each other around the room and they touch noses. The only hiss so far happened when Kyubey startled Freddie while Freddie was in the litterbox. Otherwise, Freddie is eating, drinking, playing, scratching, and only hiding a little bit...not bad for his second day home!

The final hurdle will be introducing Freddie to Jasper, which I am going to take S L O W L Y. Once Freddie is ready to be out in the rest of the house, I will start taking Jasper to work so Freddie can explore undisturbed during the day.

I know everyone is waiting for pictures, but I suck at taking pictures of black cats apparently...here's my best shot so far!
    Last edited by snakemama; 09-01-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Oh My! Freddie must think he is in heaven in his new home. What a good thing you did to adopt him. It sounds as if he is a sweet boy. I hope it works out good with Jasper. Keep showing in pictures, ok? I filled light your pic & then tried to upload it but alas my ^%$ computer wouldn't do it.

Oh, beautiful Freddie Peace, welcome HOME!!! What a wonderful story! We can't wait to hear more as you settle in.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Welcome to PT Freddie!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Freddie, my man, you hit the proverbial jackpot here. Not only did you get adopted, you now live in a PT home, the best there is for a kitty! Congratulations are in order. Oh, a great big THANK YOU! to your meowmie for adopting you. You are a handsome devil for sure!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Lots of light = the key to taking good black cat - or dog - pictures!
    I've Been Frosted

Hello, handsome boy! In foster care for FOUR years??? So many people missed out on your wonderful self - but now you are where you're meant to be, in a PT home!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you everyone! I'm sitting in 'our' room with my laptop, just had some MAJOR lovin' from Freddie, then he decided he needed a snack!! Now he's in his spot under the desk, which is where he seems to go when he needs a few minutes to unwind.

I do have a question. (I already emailed his foster mom and I'll ring the vet tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask here too) Freddie drinks and pees a LOT. Normally I'd be alarmed and concerned for his kidneys, but I'm wondering if it might just be a side effect of the new home and a change in his diet. At what point should he be seen? Do I take him in ASAP or give him a few days?