Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labor Day Holiday #548.

Labor Day Holiday #548.

The 'unofficial' end of Summer is a few days away!

I saw HALLOWEEN costumes in the stores - that give us about 60 days to figure out what to do?

I am looking forward to the fall and baking....

--------------

How's about a berry mojito to start things out with?

5 fresh mint leaves
    1 teaspoon(s) granulated sugar
    4 wedge(s) lime, juiced
    2 ounce(s) Bacardi Razz
    1/4 ounce(s) Chambord
    1/4 ounce(s) blue Curaçao
    1 splash(es) club soda
    Mint, for garnish
    Raspberries and blueberries, for garnish

Directions

1.In a tall glass, crush mint with a fork. Add sugar and lime juice; stir. Add Bacardi, Chambord, and blue Curaçao; mix. Top with club soda. Garnish.

That sounds good! I'll have to make those this weekend. I have all the fixin's.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I like the sound of that drink! I'll take one, please, barkeep!

We're changing things up at our annual BBQ on Sunday - going international. We normally have several beef roasts on the grill served with fresh horseradish. We've had this party for about 30 years and decided to switch things up. On the grill will be Beef Bulgogi (Korean style beef - REALLY yummy), along with sausage seasoned with Old Bay, marinated chicken wings of a few styles, and I believe turkey or chicken sausage.

Time to party! Come on down!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    That sounds good! I'll have to make those this weekend. I have all the fixin's.
    No reason to leave home this weekend!

DONE!

PM,

Sounds delicious.

I made some boneless pork ribs a few weeks ago, I put them on a piece of foil, loaded up my wood chip box and left them on the grill for 3 hours.

They were so good, I may have left them on for a bit too long, but they had a nice crunchy outer texture that was great.

I chopped them up on a cutting board and had pork burritos, salsa , beans and rice!!!

DONE!

Later this evening I will be trying something new - saw a recipe for strawberry bread that just seemed intriguing, so I will let you all know how it goes! Someone in Australia posted a recipe on Facebook, but rather than try to look up all the terms, and do the math to convert amounts, I just Googled it and found one in American measurements!

As a child, we only had strawberries fresh, as if they were older than a day after they were picked, ma would get an allergic reaction to them. So we'd go strawberry picking, then clean and slice a mess of them for shortcake and any leftovers for strawberry ice cream, so cooking with them (besides for jam) will be a new experience!
    I've Been Frosted

Well, the strawberry bread is done, and it turned into more of an experiment than I intended, but is yummy! It is more delicate than I expected, and I had to do some funky moves to get it all done, as I varied things, didn't start in a big enough bowl, don't know where my other loaf pan is* so ended up with one big loaf and two small, but all in all, a success!

I guess I was expecting banana bread or pumpkin bread like texture, or muffiny, but it is more delicate by far.

*likely the storage space, but in which box of dishes, not sure!

So strawberry bread to share, anyone?
    I've Been Frosted

Trivia time!

How many square feet will a dropped jar hot steaming hot strawberry jam cover?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Yikes - don't wanna know the answer to that one! Did a certain canine try to assist with cleanup and burn her tongue?
    I've Been Frosted

The answer is all of them.

Angel was preoccupied when the jar hit the deck, thankfully.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Thank goodness Angel was occupied! I hope none of it burned you, LH or any of the humans either! There's nothing quite as sticky and dangerous as scalding hot jam.
    I've Been Frosted

ON a side note, what does our kitchen have in common with Reggae?

We be jammin, mon!

While I am NOT a scientist, I do ponder about things way outside my paygrade........

How much square footage can strawberry jam cover when it's in a high temp state?

Well,

We first have to figure out the viscosity of SJ at different temps.

Then, we have to determine the amount, the height from which it was dropped and the velocity of the container when it struck the floor.

Of course, the exact angle of the container - when it stopped - has to be replicated.

That said?

Wait until it cools, let the dog have some while you get a bucket and mop....

In square feet?

I'll estimate the splatter at.............................

Name:  spilled-berry-jam-juice.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  97.0 KB

That much?

-------------------

I need a beer and a laugh.....anyone?

Bueller, Bueller?

Um, not a good idea to let the dog have any, as remember, there is broken glass mixed in! They are usually 8-ounce jars - jam jars, silly!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Um, not a good idea to let the dog have any, as remember, there is broken glass mixed in! They are usually 8-ounce jars - jam jars, silly!
    Hmm, Didn't take that into consideration, Told you I wasn't a scientist.

But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn once?

There was no broken glass, the jar was intact. The picture is completely apropos.

However, she's stinky enough, we don't need to know what strawberry jam would do internally....