Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Helpful Hints ... add yours!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Yep, Richard that works too. That was what I had to do to keep my computer and tv cords safe from my monsters. The cable guy laughed at me when he had to come put my router in when I got wi fi. But the cords on the old modem were safe and tooth mark free.

Chip had to try it out though and tried to bite one of the tubes. He got his mouth around it but the best he could so was squash the tube a bit not bite the cord. The tubes can always be painted with a non-toxie paint to match your decor if you want. They are cheap and easy to replace when needed too.
    Imagine - Chip? That innocent little kitty trying to chew something?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

williamjack Guest
    Good to see the full information here thanks to all for their help.

Cream

Every once in a while I need a tablespoon or two of cream for a recipe. I don't take cream in my coffee (don't drink coffee anyway) so got tired of buying a whole container of cream only for most of it to go to waste - it does go bad eventually.

So now I freeze it - one compartment in one of my ice cube trays neatly hold a tablespoon (I measured one teaspoon, poured it in, and it was perfect - small tray, so I froze a bunch, popped them out and have them in a plastic bag in the freezer. This way I can just thaw as many as I need next time I want some for a recipe, and none goes to waste.

Scones, for example, are just not the same if you make them with 1% or 2% milk, which is what I usually have on hand!
    I've Been Frosted

Making zippers move more smoothly

I have a pair of boots that zip up the front, that I have been getting a lot of use out of this winter. The zippers are getting so they do not move up or down easily.

Is there some kind of wax or oil or ..something I can put on or along the zippers so they will work more easily?

Thanks very much!

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I have a pair of boots that zip up the front, that I have been getting a lot of use out of this winter. The zippers are getting so they do not move up or down easily.

Is there some kind of wax or oil or ..something I can put on or along the zippers so they will work more easily?

Thanks very much!

Pat
    Beeswax works well.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Beeswax works well.
    Hmm, how does one apply it? I had to use a pair of players to zip one of my boots today! I was not wearing extra socks, so I was able to untie and get my foot out without unzipping it!
    I've Been Frosted

Take a chunk and just rub it down the teeth. In a pinch a bar of soap will work, but obviously won't last as long.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Take a chunk and just rub it down the teeth. In a pinch a bar of soap will work, but obviously won't last as long.
    Thanks! Seeing as I hear we have another storm headed here for Thursday, good to know!
    I've Been Frosted

I am cracking up, that's for darn sure. I read this as "Take a chunk and just rub it down your teeth." Whoops! Karen, could you hit the zipper teeth carefully with some WD-40? or would that stain your boots? Maybe you've heard what we say in Chicago: "If it moves, but it shouldn't: duct tape. If it doesn't move, but it should: WD-40." I have a friend who grew up in west central Indiana (home of lake effect snow) and she would rub a cake of Ivory soap on stubborn winter coat and boot zippers.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I am cracking up, that's for darn sure. I read this as "Take a chunk and just rub it down your teeth." Whoops! Karen, could you hit the zipper teeth carefully with some WD-40? or would that stain your boots? Maybe you've heard what we say in Chicago: "If it moves, but it shouldn't: duct tape. If it doesn't move, but it should: WD-40." I have a friend who grew up in west central Indiana (home of lake effect snow) and she would rub a cake of Ivory soap on stubborn winter coat and boot zippers.
    The problem with WD is that it bleeds and isn't a persistent coating. Wax stays in place, and will last a long time.

The problem with WD is that it bleeds and isn't a persistent coating. Wax stays in place, and will last a long time.

I heard a wonderful story about a soldier that broke a zipper and wanted to have it replaced.

He couldn't find one in the catalog, so he asked around and found out that it's not a 'zipper'...

It's an "interlocking slide fastener"?

Recycling plastic?

If you buy 6 packs of toilet paper and cut the wrapper carefully, you can re-use it as plastic bag for stuff to recycle.

Thank you, RICHARD, for this and the zipper repair link!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This is a great place to read about sharpening scissors, i read this online so this is the only tip i know of
    here u go https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how...rpen-scissors/