Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! FLIES in apartment!

Help! FLIES in apartment!

ONE fly got into my apartment about 3 weeks ago when the kitchen was renovated and the doors were open all day. I was not able either to kill it or else redirect it back outside. It must have laid eggs (and maybe the eggs laid eggs too), because since last weekend I have had a LOT of flies in the place.

How do I get rid of them? I got some fly strips from the management to put up around the place. NOT ONE FLY has gotten stuck on any of these. I checked over at Ace, and it looks like the other stuff available is toxic to pets (I have 5 cats).

What can I do? I hate these dirty things being all around the place.

Thanks,
    Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I have a gadget that zaps them. It's in the shape of a tennis racket and works great. Like a hand held bug zapper.

I also have my little bug killer, Shortie. She may have short legs but she sure can catch a fly in mid air. She eats them. Eeewww.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Get a few cats.

I meant to say get a few more cats. Ugh, Pat. Maybe more strips? Or a fly swatter?

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I have a gadget that zaps them. It's in the shape of a tennis racket and works great. Like a hand held bug zapper.

I also have my little bug killer, Shortie. She may have short legs but she sure can catch a fly in mid air. She eats them. Eeewww.
    Donna, what is this gadget called, and where did you get it?

My cats aren't much on fly-hunting, unfortunately. Bob will wave a paw at one as it flies past, but that's about it.

Thanks,
    Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Spray bottle with cleaner, and a paper towel to wipe up ... my only solution.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I meant to say get a few more cats. Ugh, Pat. Maybe more strips? Or a fly swatter?
    Thanks, Cataholic. I already have 3 more cats than I'm allowed to have in this 2-room apartment (2 pets is "legal" maximum). None of them is much on fly-catching.

The strips have been totally useless. Not one fly has gotten stuck so far.

I got a fly swatter yesterday. Very little help, because so much of the time they don't land on flat surfaces.

On Monday I will call the apartment-complex management again and tell them the strips aren't working at all, see what else they can come up with.

Sigh, this is such a big pain in the @$$. There seem to be more of them just since this morning!
    Death thought about it.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Sorry, no help here. We're lucky to have cats who hunt them down. Unfortunately, they are unconcerned if they knock a bunch of glassware off the shelf in the pursuit of said fly.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Spray bottle with cleaner, and a paper towel to wipe up ... my only solution.
    Spray bottle with what kind of cleaner, Karen?

Thanks,
    Pat
    Death thought about it.

Any soap will do, it weighs them down so you can swat them, and leaves a clean spot afterwards!
    I've Been Frosted

11. We have a zapper thingy. havent used it in eons though. forgot even what it looked now. but my brothers dog hated it. hed growl when ever he heard something getting sizzled on it LOL

here be one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Flowtron-BK-15...7381503&sr=1-1

but theres hundreds of diff bug zapper things out there. try Yahooing/Googling bug zapper an see what you get ^^

I looked at the one on the Amazon link. That's not something to have in the apartment, though!

It says: "Recommended not to be used within 25-feet of area intended for human activity, should not be attached to house or deck or other structures"

I just did some Google exploring. Looks like Sears (at the mall a couple miles from me!) has a good tennis-racket one that just might do the trick! I must check that out tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion, Vette!
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Any soap will do, it weighs them down so you can swat them, and leaves a clean spot afterwards!
    Any soap, like dish detergent?.. Meyer's Clean Day Liquid Hand Soap?.. Thanks.
    Death thought about it.

Yeah, any soap will do, Windex, 409, anything in a spray bottle!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Donna, what is this gadget called, and where did you get it?

My cats aren't much on fly-hunting, unfortunately. Bob will wave a paw at one as it flies past, but that's about it.

Thanks,
    Pat
    Same here for mine. Maybe they are too well fed?

I got flies, too. Except mine came in from the horse pasture most likely. Don't like spraying either. I like the soap and fly swatter. Vinegar bothers the flies, too, but your house gets smelly.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)