Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! FLIES in apartment!

I bought this.....

http://bugasalt.com/

And I love it.

Warning,

It's a little hard to cock, but it's fun and if you don't mind cleaning up a little salt?

I made a sling for mine and keep it ready to rock.

--------------------

I take off my shirt and put on a black headband.........

Name:  60808,1299105358,Jade_Rambo_2.06.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  190.4 KB

And then I go kill them little buggers.

My goodness, Richard, thank you! What an interesting idea. I never heard of anything like that!

I'll keep it in mind. I got a bug-zapper racquet and a regular fly swatter. I've dispatched a few with those, and the fly population seems to have decreased greatly.

I did call the apartment management. Their next step is to get the exterminators in to bomb the apartment. I told them let's see how the zapper works, and if it doesn't, then we could do that. Maybe I should try the Bug-A-Salt too!

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I bought this.....

http://bugasalt.com/

And I love it.

Warning,

It's a little hard to cock, but it's fun and if you don't mind cleaning up a little salt?

I made a sling for mine and keep it ready to rock.

--------------------
    That is an interesting idea! Is it the salt that is actually killing them or the impact? Just curious. My fly problem is much better, and I don't like what you have to do just to bomb the place, nor the bombing chemicals. I'd rather work on eliminating the sources of the creep flying things.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I just use the good old fly swatter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    That is an interesting idea! Is it the salt that is actually killing them or the impact? Just curious. My fly problem is much better, and I don't like what you have to do just to bomb the place, nor the bombing chemicals. I'd rather work on eliminating the sources of the creep flying things.
    It's the impact of the salt. It's like a shot-gun effect and even if they aren't killed at first, it stuns them enough so that you can kill them - I carry a tissue to snatch them up with.

It does work fairly well in places where you cant get a real swing or impact with a swatter.

----------------------

It's more geared toward a guy's desire to shoot and kill flies and laugh about it later on.....

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I don't like the idea of bombing the place either. That would mean I'd have to get all the cats out AGAIN, before whatever time the bombers actually show up at the apartment (of which I'd only have been given a general idea), then however long it takes to do their thing, and then for the stuff to dry. The apartment-management office person told me it takes two hours to dry, but I don't trust that figure. And I wonder if even after it dried there would be dried bomb residue all around that might not be all that good for the cats (or me) either.
    Last edited by phesina; 08-28-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    It's the impact of the salt. It's like a shot-gun effect and even if they aren't killed at first, it stuns them enough so that you can kill them - I carry a tissue to snatch them up with.

It does work fairly well in places where you cant get a real swing or impact with a swatter.

----------------------

It's more geared toward a guy's desire to shoot and kill flies and laugh about it later on.....
    Thanks. I'll look into it. In the meantime, I'll use the swatter. The electric swatters didn't seem that expensive.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

My electric swatter cost $10.00 at a local hardware store. Sears has them a bit cheaper, from what I saw on line.
    Death thought about it.

Pat,

Not sure what it's called but if you PM me with your address, I'll pick one up and send it to you.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks, Donna. I found one like that at a local hardware store. I've been able to zap a couple of flies with it, but they're pretty much too fast for me to get with it.

I've gotten several more with an old-fashioned non-electrified fly swatter, but there are still too many flies here. I really don't want to get the apartment bombed.

Pat
    Death thought about it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    UGH!!! I feel your pain, Pat. I despise those nasty critters, and I go slightly ballistic when even one gets in the house. A year ago last Spring we had an invasion of them - who knows where they came from - but I used the tacky strips for a couple of weeks before I finally got rid of them. That, and the good old fashioned swatter finally did them in. I hate when they get in, in the Fall too. They get slow and stupid and fly right in your face. YUK!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I just remembered a fly-catching method my dad had when I was a kid and had frogs to feed.

First get a large glass container, wide-mouthed. I can't find a picture of it, but it's kind of like a goldfish bowl with flat sides so you can lie it on its side.

When it's on its side, put a small piece of meat - like a piece of stewing beef - at the back of the jar.

Put two strips of tape in a cross shape across the mouth of the jar.

The flies can get in, but they can't get out.

Hope you have success with those pesky things soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oooh, Candace, does that ever sound like a good idea! Let me see what I can do to get those things together.

Pat
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    UGH!!! I feel your pain, Pat. I despise those nasty critters, and I go slightly ballistic when even one gets in the house. A year ago last Spring we had an invasion of them - who knows where they came from - but I used the tacky strips for a couple of weeks before I finally got rid of them. That, and the good old fashioned swatter finally did them in. I hate when they get in, in the Fall too. They get slow and stupid and fly right in your face. YUK!
    Thanks, Ellie. Maybe I will try the regular old kinds of strips that hang down. The ones the apartment maintance guy got me that you stick in the windows, and that I also stuck in places with more fly traffic, didn't catch a single one.

I tend to take a live-and-let-live attitude towards God's other creatures on this earth, but flies are an exception. they're nasty, they're dirty, and they spread germs and disease, and whatever works is the way to go.
    Death thought about it.