Thread: Newborn kitten! Help! Stray!

Newborn kitten! Help! Stray!

So I have recently decided to adopt a newborn kitten that comes from a stray mother and I work at a reconditing faculty around cars all day so we have a big lot with automatic car wash, mechanics, detailers, quality control, transport, cosmetic inspection, smog, and GPS. Soooo it's a big lot! One of the stray cats that lives on our lots gave birth to 5-6 kittens and she took all but one. She never came back for it because I believe one of the painters touched the kitten or my coworker said she was the "runt" in the pack so the mother didn't want her. So at lunch looked everywhere for the mother and her kittens but never found them and once it was time to leave I couldn't let the kitten stay there to die so I took it home that was this past Monday and now it's Friday... I never owned a single cat in my life but I feel obligated to take care of this kitten so her name is Lucy and I just want to know what are some of the stuff I should know about kittens to keep her healthy? Help please...I feed her right now liquid Kitty KML and heard the powder is better so gonna buy that today and does the liquid ones spoil? What if I feed her and she eats alot do I cut her off? How much do i give her? She was born Sunday August 18th..I believe cuz her umbilical cord was still attached when I first got her...and we work mon-fri so it was either Sunday or Saturday.. Join this pet talk cuz I need help with her. Everyone keeps telling me she's gonna die and I definitely don't want that since that's the reason I took her in, in the first place.

Thank you for giving this kitten a chance at life!
    I just googled caring for a newborn kitten and found this site: http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    You can do your own search and find other sites.

I know you need to stimulate the kitty's bottom to get them to poop. That is in the site posted above.

Also, you might take it to the vet and see what they say as well. Maybe it is sick and that's why the mom left it.
    I hope that's not the case though.

Good luck!! Hopefully others will see this and give you their first hand experience. I know several people on here have had bottle babies.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Bless you for taking her in. Let her eat as much as she wants, and then be sure to stimulate her pooping like that link describes. Love and care and food, and hopefully she will make it. A mother cat might abandon a kitten for any number of reasons, but the old myth that if a human touches one she will reject it is just that, a myth. Just as not every human is a naturally good mother, not every kitty is either!
    I've Been Frosted

All good advice. Stick to the powder as the ready to go liquid container must be consumed in 72 hours or discarded. One kitten wouldn't drink that much in 3 days. Please, remember to keep stimulating the bowels.

You may want to enlist family members to be her nurse maid while you are at work. Good luck and bless you for your efforts in saving this little one.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    All good advice. Stick to the powder as the ready to go liquid container must be consumed in 72 hours or discarded. One kitten wouldn't drink that much in 3 days. Please, remember to keep stimulating the bowels.

You may want to enlist family members to be her nurse maid while you are at work. Good luck and bless you for your efforts in saving this little one.
    All good advice here. Again, good luck, and bless you. Prayers, may the baby live and thrive.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery