Thread: My cat is screaming all the time. Help

My cat is screaming all the time. Help

I have a serious problem with my cat and need advice.

We live in a housing complex and he has been annoying the one neighbour - so she wrote a letter to the trustees and we have to keep him in our garden or get rid of him. She's the only person in the complex that doesnt love him and he goes straight to her house - its like she has catnip on her roof. We put up a palisade fence (5cm gaps and 2m high) and he climbs it.

So we are making a plan to try fix it - but he screams. ALL THE TIME. I'm going mad. My mom suggested an animal behaviourist, I dont know anyone who's used one before and it's a lot of money (as my fiance says: to spend on something with no guarantee of results). So I was hoping someone could tell me if this is a problem that can be solved with a behaviourist - we are running out of other options. Also, we just bought this house, so we can't move because that would be my first choice.

He was neutered when he was 6 months old, he's 7 now. He's a rescue cat so he has a bit of a difficult personality. He's been wearing a pheromone collar for two months - it does nothing. We have two litter boxes, he HATES using them but he also wont go in the garden with anyone watching. He has access to valerian and he has a huge climbing castle/scratching post. He gets along fine with my other cat and boston terrier.

Last night he started screaming at 10:30 and only stopped at 1am and then started again at 4am. I cant do this anymore. I work from home, and I havent been able to sleep or concentrate in more than 3 weeks. I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon to see what he suggest - but like I say, we are running out of options. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are there by any chance any feral cats in the area that he is trying to defend "his" property from? Any signs of spraying near the fence or around the yard? Is this new behavior?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Are there by any chance any feral cats in the area that he is trying to defend "his" property from? Any signs of spraying near the fence or around the yard? Is this new behavior?
    There is one big awful cat that terrorises them, but the neighbour lady has a cat and I think Teddy goes there to terrorise her. He's never shown any signs of fighting with other cats, ive always known him to run away.

Also, the vet put him on Clomicalm today.

Does that "big awful cat" belong to someone? Or is it a stray? Sounds like that could definitely be the cause of the screaming!
    I've Been Frosted

He looks like he belongs to someone. But I think the screaming is because of him not being allowed out. He spent his whole life as an outside cat and now suddenly he is confined. Not sure how to calm him down

Oh, okay! Play time! Figure out what kind of games and or toys he likes - whether it is fetch games, batting around toys that make noise, "fishing pole" type toys - it may take some persistence and experimentation, but you should be able to find something! Then play, play, play before your bedtime, a worn out kitty is a quiet kitty! Have you tried taking him out for walks on a harness and leash? Any physical and mental exercise will help!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm pretty sure that the reason he screams is that he wants to go out. It's sad that the woman next door can't tolerate him, especially when she has a cat herself! It would be great if you could talk to her and sort it out - perhaps by agreeing to let them on shifts. That might work.

Other than that, Karen's suggestions sound the way to go. Good luck! .)

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Giving him other things to do to enrich his environment should help, intense play sessions with wand type toys or a laser pointer if he likes them, a nice big cat tree, a window he can easily lay in.

Blog Entries

Eeek!

I am so sorry! I have the exact same problem. There has gotta be someone out there with a solution, keep the faith. My cat Spicy screams non stop and has for 5 yrs. She's deaf but she is spoiled rotten. She needs nothing. Nothing at all. I thought I would go insane as well a few times too. There's gotta be someone out there that knows SUMTHIN'. Far as I can figure out old Spiceball is just very vocal and enjoys bellering I'm not much help eh? I've tried everything. She adopted us, lived here before we moved here and we love 'er. Apparently she just loves to scream at the top of her lungs......sigh. I'll take any advice I can get too

Blog Entries
    Oh ya, Spicy is in and out, the second the Spicemeister is out, wants back in.