Thread: Weaning off anxiety medication

Weaning off anxiety medication

Coco has been on anxiety medication (Amitriptyline HCI) 100 mil-grams twice a day for several years. Monday he had a what was called two "focal seizures" that latest 5 seconds each.

We did a full panel blood work up and all his organs are ok. It was determined the medication caused the seizure. A dog who is between 3 yrs and 7 yrs of age is prone to seizures to start. Something I didnt know until Monday. Coco is 5 yrs old. The medication is lowering his ability to fight off having a seizure.

Weaning process has begun it should take 2 weeks. So far Coco is doing great without the extra pill a day. After one week he will go every other day having a pill.

We are looking into other anxiety medications. Luck has it I just had the rx refilled so I will have about 85 tablets not used. Going to ask if pharmacy to destroy them for me. I know they cant take them back.

His training results haven't suffered thankful we keep daily training up. He did have Monday and Tuesday off.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Maybe he will be able to be weaned off the medication entirely! I know you have been training him for a while now, maybe that will help his anxiety.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Maybe he will be able to be weaned off the medication entirely! I know you have been training him for a while now, maybe that will help his anxiety.
    The goal is to wean him off totally. We probably will go with another medication. Will have to wait and see.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor