Thread: Thoughts On Senior Pets And Adoption

Thoughts On Senior Pets And Adoption

I must admit that I am one who has always looked at younger animals for adoption, but
    this article certainly gives me a lot of food for thought.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...inglePage=true
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It makes me think of Valerie and Dasher!
    I've Been Frosted

That's a wonderful article, liz. Thanks so much for sharing it.

We're down to 4 cats from 6 a year ago. All of them are "seniors" - ages 9, 10, 11, 12. We've talked about what we might do when they are all gone - and decided if we are still here and able to care for a pet, we would adopt a senior cat. Over the years we've had our share of kittens - now it's time to love an older one

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    That's a wonderful article, liz. Thanks so much for sharing it.

We're down to 4 cats from 6 a year ago. All of them are "seniors" - ages 9, 10, 11, 12. We've talked about what we might do when they are all gone - and decided if we are still here and able to care for a pet, we would adopt a senior cat. Over the years we've had our share of kittens - now it's time to love an older one
    My RB Meezer Ming lived to the ripe and ornery old age of 20! You've still got a long way to go with your "babies", Gretchen!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I am all for adopting a senior pet. But my BF thinks it's not a good idea. More vet costs and you wouldn't have it as long as a younger animal.
    Well, we shall see what happens the next time I am ready to adopt. But that won't happen any time soon. The four I have now are fairly young. Zoee is the oldest at 8 1/2.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My Poppaea (aka Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia) is more than 20 years old!

She keeps on plugging along..
    Name:  Poppaea3paw.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  69.6 KB

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This thread reminds me of Moosmom and her senior kitties, and of Yodee and Slick

Hello, Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia! You are looking very regal and wonderful!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

When we adopted Angel there were 2 beagles in the shelter, George and Gracie, who were in their teens.

They were such sweethearts, but a house with 2 young children isn't he place for them.

I asked about them when I went to drop off some things for the shelter, and they had been adopted. An elderly gentleman (gentleman in every sense of the word, at least relating to pets!) visits the shelter on occasion, and if they have senior pets for adoption and he has room, he adopts them to make sure their time left is spent in a loving home.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I honestly have turned a shoulder to it before. One reason, my parents refused to adopt a dog older than 3 at the time we got Mikey because they didn't want to deal with the heart break. But in the future I sure wouldn't mind giving some deserving seniors a home for their golden years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    When we adopted Angel there were 2 beagles in the shelter, George and Gracie, who were in their teens.

They were such sweethearts, but a house with 2 young children isn't he place for them.

I asked about them when I went to drop off some things for the shelter, and they had been adopted. An elderly gentleman (gentleman in every sense of the word, at least relating to pets!) visits the shelter on occasion, and if they have senior pets for adoption and he has room, he adopts them to make sure their time left is spent in a loving home.
    Awww, that's good! If you see him again, tell him all of Pet Talk says thanks!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    This thread reminds me of Moosmom and her senior kitties, and of Yodee and Slick

Hello, Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia! You are looking very regal and wonderful!
    The Princess is VERY talented at: just as I'm about to take the picture, clopsing her eyes! In this one, at least her right eye is still open slightly.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My first kitty who is now at the Bridge was only about 6-7 weeks old when I adopted her. I knew that my next kitty would not be a kitten, I wanted an older cat. Autumn was 3 yrs. old when I adopted her. They didn't have many older cats at this no-kill shelter.

I have always believed in Senior Cats having a good home. I do wish people would adopt them, they deserve a home with people who love them as much as the kittens.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I have the biggest soft spot for senior pets. My roommate and I have already decided that when we are done moving and know we'll have a calm home (aka after Towser has gotten a tad older) we would love to adopt an older dog just so it can live out its days in a comfortable, loving home. Before I got Towser my original plan was to adopt a senior dog, but I know Towser was meant to be. As much as I would love to adopt a senior cat, I don't think we could easily integrate one into our family with the cats we have now... plus we are at our limit with a 5 cat household!
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

We've adopted several senior animals. Long time members will recall Pirate, who was at least 12 when she got here, probably older. We've adopted cats up to 16 years old. My last kitten is 12 & the last real young puppy was Earle, who would have been 14 this year. Seniors are much easier to integrate into a pack! You do have to be prepared for some heartache, but there's no guarantee that a 6 week old puppy is going to get 14 years either! I've lost dogs who were as young as 4 to sudden illness. A friend lost a six month old puppy to a massive heart attack recently! I would take every one of my seniors again if I could! They were worth it.

I live with an aging zoo. All the dogs except Tehya are at least 12; all the cats are in double digits. The vet bills have not gone down even with decreasing numbers! The change has been fewer middle of night emergency calls due to fights or other youthful stupidity! Now I have more chronic conditions to manage. I hand out more than a dozen pills every day!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I've taken a 7 yr old and one rescue we had was supposed to be about 6-7 yrs old but we now realize he was much older than that....the vet bills can be astronomical but as they age and develop ills but you're glad you were the one to make their last yrs happy and comfortable. Saying this I don't know if I could go through the pain of losing them so much faster that a young pup.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----