Thread: African Tiger Mosquito

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

African Tiger Mosquito

Has anyone else been plagued by these monsters this year? These guys are vicious and it's nearly impossible to swat at or brush them off of yourself - they hang on like a darn leech once they find you. I understand they've been around for a while, but I never remember them before this year. Perhaps they are a lot more prolific since it has been such a wet summer and is why I'm noticing them. We've had a few beautifully cool and comfortable days this week, but can't even go outside to enjoy the fresh air. These guys don't just show themselves early morning or early evening - they are ready to make a meal out of you all day long. And once they bite - it itches for days and days. Oh the joys of summer - how I hate them...........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Do you mean the Asian Tiger Mosquito? Unless you're talking about a different species, because honestly how many more invasive species are there...

But if we're talking about the same ones, yes! They swarmed my Archery Range so I've not been back since late may and they're repulsive. I feel like their bites are worse than normal bugs. They've been around since 1985 but they're just showing up around here now I guess.

We have not seen them here - they may not have made their way this far North, and I hope they do not! My skin is (ridiculously) sensitive - a normal mosquito bite on me swells into a pink lump about a half in in diameter, 1/16th high, and itches nonstop for several days .... so I can only imagine what a bite from one of them would do!
    I've Been Frosted

I haven't heard of the asian tiger mosquito but the african...you bet you butt I have. We have been plagued with them for years now. They are silent so you know nothing until the little blood suckers are biting. The bites hurt and stay around for ages and swell something insane!!! I hate the little monsters!!! I feel your pain...often!!!

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I've heard them called both Asian and African, but actually they are the same. I believe they picked up "African" because of their stripes like an African Tiger, and their aggressive nature. Either way - they are still nasty critters. Like Michelle said - they are "silent but deadly" - and you don't know they have bitten you till it's too late.

Karen - they have been around and originally were discovered in TX in 1985 - and have been working their way up the East Coast. I'm sure they will make it up your way in the not too distant future! Enjoy....
    Last edited by pomtzu; 08-17-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~