Thread: Fall coming, back to school time

Fall coming, back to school time

I know, it isn't even the middle of August, but already we are seeing "Back to School!!!" stuff everywhere ... When do kids start school where you live? It isn't until September here, usually right after Labor Day ...

I loved school, and going back to school, my only dread was shoe shopping ahead of it, as a kid. I still hate shoe shopping, but as a kid it meant leaving behind sandals and getting "real shoes" again - and my feet generally objected!

(My mother hated bringing my sister and I shoe shopping - once told someone she would pay money to a stranger to do it if she could! We do not, suffice it to say, have normal feet ....)
    I've Been Frosted

Since I'm a senior citizen Karen, I don't really think about school openings much. I believe tho that our schools open the same as your area. The one thing I really dislike about school opening is the school buses on the road, I don't like being behind them, lol.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

The schools here starts today. All the kids now have longer hours, due to a new law.

Some other news is that kinder gardens and at least one hospital is now serving only halal butchered meat and no pork products, to meet the demands of Muslim families. What do you think about that? I think it's ridiculous to prevent Danish children from eating what they like. Why can't they serve both and let people have a choice!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Hmm...I think it's kind to consider the needs of the Muslims, but unkind to put theirs above others'. I know at the RPI cafeteria (my alma mater) they have specific stations for vegetarian, kosher, halal, etc. which play very well on a diverse campus.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Funny that you posted this thread today, Karen. I was just thinking how lovely it was when I was 3 to 7 years old, didn't know (or care) how to read a calendar, and thought this was still deep summer! I had no concerns that the summer is coming to a close. Wish I could live a bit more in the present like that, NOW!

Not that I have to think about school. But the cool weather coming, the things which need to be done outdoors etc, all that comes to mind.

Enough! I'm going out w/ the pups to enjoy the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    The schools here starts today. All the kids now have longer hours, due to a new law.

Some other news is that kinder gardens and at least one hospital is now serving only halal butchered meat and no pork products, to meet the demands of Muslim families. What do you think about that? I think it's ridiculous to prevent Danish children from eating what they like. Why can't they serve both and let people have a choice!
    Our college starts this week and regular schools next week I think.

I think the way they try to cater to certain people is getting out of control. We now have meatless Mondays. We used to have them on Fridays but they did not want to seem to be showing favoritism to Catholics who eat no meat on Fridays. Why they can't just offer a vegeterain dish as a choice for those who want it and not force meat eaters to give up what they like?

Jewish people eat no pork either but the meat they eat has to be kosher. They should be represented too if they are going to do it for the Muslims.

It is getting so bad in our area that even if a parent sends lunch to school with their child, sometimes the school won't let them eat it because they say it is 'unhealthy'. Wish the government would keep their noses out of lunch boxes!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

The school nearest to me opens August 22. It seems to get a little earlier every year. They do get out in early June, though. I don't remember "back to school shopping" being as big a deal as it is now. I'd bring home what I had left at the end of the school year, and then over the summer my mom and I would look through it and replace whatever was low. I don't remember ever having to provide a box of tissues, let alone things like paper towels or Clorox wipes.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

"Back to school" ads have been all over the place around here since the last week of July. I think schools start right after Labor Day. I don't know when the colleges start up.

And just watch.. the minute after Labor Day is over, we will start being bombarded with Halloween stuff everywhere! A sure sign, THE HOLIDAYS are coming!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Yes the stores have been posting back to school sales since the long July 1st weekend . Rather silly to have sales when the clothes wasn't in the stores until after the holiday but it does get people to shop early.
    Kids start school after the Labour Day Weekend in September, around the 7th I think. We always know when they start since the buses are going through their routes on practice runs the week before.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I start courses again September 6th Around here we start September 4/5th for the public schools! My Dad's birthday is September 4th and he always used to joke that the best birthday gift he got was when we went to school.

School started here August 2. The next county east of us started the week before that.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Public school here starts the 19th of this month. I had to look it up because I honestly couldn't remember when it normally starts up. I've only been graduated for 4 years now.

I'm just excited that now I'll be able to go to the store in the middle of the day and not have to contend with young hooligans.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    "Back to school" ads have been all over the place around here since the last week of July. I think schools start right after Labor Day. I don't know when the colleges start up.

And just watch.. the minute after Labor Day is over, we will start being bombarded with Halloween stuff everywhere! A sure sign, THE HOLIDAYS are coming!
    Just had to let you know, our Walmart here has their Halloween candy out already!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Just had to let you know, our Walmart here has their Halloween candy out already!!!
    Oh... my... Goddd......

Like, people really need more than two months to prepare for Halloween!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    The back-to-school sales start right after Independence Day around here, but there are still people in the stores with school supply lists the night before the first day of school. And as soon as most of the schools are back in session, even before the dust has settled, we go straight to Halloween with candy, costumes and decorations.

I did shop a bit at the back-to-school sale, though. I bought a cute note pad to put by the phone in the bedroom, because I'm always in need of one in there. I threw out some crappy old pens that didn't write anymore, and bought a package of new ones. So-- for the time being, I have paper and a working pen by both telephones. We'll see how long that lasts, though.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678