Thread: Addison's disease....

Addison's disease....

Anyone here have a dog with Addison's Disease? Tehya has just been diagnosed. She was within minutes of death last week, but thanks to an observant, dedicated dog sitter and a fantastic vet, she's back on her paws. We're learning to manage the condition and looking for any input/advice from owners with experience!

My dogs have put me through a lot of things, but Addison's is a new one!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

My Dad has it. For the most part, it is regulated by pill. Dad was on a low dose of prednisone for 7 years, recently that was changed to hydrocortisone pills, 20 mg am, 10 mg pm. It throws off the body's blood glucose levels, and Dad is diabetic. The medicine also throws off the blood glucose level, so Dad's diabetes is now way out of control, which is why he is in full time care in a nursing home.

Sorry, that's my only experience with it.

It is more common in some breeds, like Dachshunds, for example, but I don't see any doxie in Tehya! I just know it is managed with a daily pill, and a more careful diet. Thank goodness they caught it in time!
    I've Been Frosted

Wooo, Tehya and whew! I am so glad you are okay! Thank goodness for your wonderful dog sitter and doctor! (((HUGS)))
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I had no idea dogs could get this disease. Thankfully Tehya was caught in time

Karen, in all the years my Dad has had it, I've never heard diet can help control it. Do you have any more info? I've just Googled it (again) but seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Karen, in all the years my Dad has had it, I've never heard diet can help control it. Do you have any more info? I've just Googled it (again) but seeing this.
    What I read after a quick Google search was this "Treatment of Addison's disease involves replacing, or substituting, the hormones that the adrenal glands are not making. Cortisol is replaced orally with hydrocortisone tablets, a synthetic glucocorticoid, taken once or twice a day. If aldosterone is also deficient, it is replaced with oral doses of a mineralocorticoid called fludrocortisone acetate (Florinef), which is taken once a day. Patients receiving aldosterone replacement therapy are usually advised by a doctor to increase their salt intake."

The dogs I know who have had it, their humans had to make sure they got enough salt, and one of them had to be careful how much fat he got, but that may have been because of other issues. Because your Dad has diabetes, of course, that affects his diet more than the Addison's.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is more common in some breeds, like Dachshunds, for example, but I don't see any doxie in Tehya! I just know it is managed with a daily pill, and a more careful diet. Thank goodness they caught it in time!
    6 pills a day in Tehya's case! 5 Florinef & 1 Prednisone. She goes in tomorrow for repeat bloodwork.

There hasn't been any mention of diet, but she eats a very high quality kibble already. She's not allowed to run with me yet and when she is, we'll have to find the level of exercise she can handle without crashing. She won't be able to work in harness at all anymore.

Her vet's biggest worry is figuring out what causes Tehya stress. Her body can't produce the hormones that help deal with stress so her meds will need to be increased any time we expect it. Fortunately, she's a fairly well adjusted dog! I'm not sure we'd ever get a dog like Anvik, who is stressed by everything, stable!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

How is Tehya doing now? There is no update on her blog, so hopefully she is doing well.

Wow, I'm glad this thread was bumped up. This happened while I was on vacation so I missed it.

I hope Tehya is doing well on the meds.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Chipper was tested for it when he was real sick, but doesn't have it.

How scary for you and Tehya. Glad she's doing better!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June