Thread: What will I miss about DE?

Hybrid View

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

What will I miss about DE?

Some of you know that I am moving from DE to NC - soon. I had planned to already be there by June, but a lot of issues prevented that. My goal is now mid-September at the latest, as I want to get settled before the weather starts to change too much. Actually there's not a whole lot that I will miss, and I'm really looking forward to the change. Since so many folks have asked me what I'll miss the most, I decided to make a list - so this is it so far in order of most important first, down to that of lesser importance.

1. My son and grandkids. It will be strange not being able to see them most every day, or in just a matter of a couple of hours, depending where they happen to be.

2. The beautiful ocean beaches. Right now I just hop in my car and can be to the beach in about an hour if I decide that I want to spend the day there - either on the beach, or checking out all the shops on the boardwalk. In NC I'll be 6 hours away from the coast - not exactly a distance for a spur of the moment day away from the house.

3. Knowing my way around the area. I've lived in DE for 45 years, so pretty much can go anywhere without any issues of getting lost. Now I'll have to learn a whole new area - how to get from point A to point B and back again without getting lost. Guess maybe I'll ask for a GPS for Christmas this year. I don't want to depend on my niece to have to take me everywhere since there are times I'll just want to get in my car and go by myself.

4. The flat DE terrain which makes for "relatively" easy driving in the winter when there is snow/ice on the roads. I'll be living in western NC in the foothills region - very beautiful but I know I'll not want to be on those roads if they aren't clear. This will probably be my biggest challenge.

5. No DE sales tax. I just can't get used to paying tax on everything whenever I go out of state, since DE has no sales tax, and that item I buy for $15.95 costs me $15.95 - and nothing more.

6. Finding new doctors that I can trust and feel comfortable with, a new vet for Myndi for when she might need one - and a hair stylist!!!! I am so picky about how my hair gets cut and only my son's first wife has been allowed to do it for the last 25+ years. Guess maybe I'll never get it cut except on the occasions I come back up here - or just let it grow!

Other than all of that - I really can't say I will miss anything to the point of not wanting to leave. I'll miss leaving Sherbie and O.C. behind since they are buried in the yard, along with a few other furkids from many, many years ago before I started with the practice of having most cremated, and of course all cremains will make the move with me. Afterall - we're all going to ride the ocean currents together when my time is up and I am cremated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Interesting list, Ellie!

Having moved a few times as an adult, I can relate to the "finding doctors and dentist and vets" concern! My first try is not always who I remain with!

And finding your way. One of my moved, I got lost first day, getting groceries in the new fridge! That was NOT a good way to start. Ha haaa. We have to put on our Pioneer hats when we relocate.

I'm sure all will go well for you and Myndi!

Gee, you didn't have 'Insufferable heat and humidity" on your list of what you'll miss? Or DC area traffic? Fresh crabs and oysters from the shore?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Gee, you didn't have 'Insufferable heat and humidity" on your list of what you'll miss? Or DC area traffic? Fresh crabs and oysters from the shore?
    LOL. Even tho I'll be in Western NC, believe it or not, the weather there is just about the same as we have here - right down to the miserable humidity. A few years ago when I was down visiting, it was so unbearably hot and humid, that we had to hibernate in the house most of the time. And this year their weather has been right in line with ours here too - including the torrential rains. About the only difference there is that they don't get slammed with Nor'easters like we do.

DC traffic?? - nope - being in central DE we are far from that mess - thankfully!

And the fresh crabs and oysters??? - I haven't been able to eat any of them for the past several years since I developed an allergy to shellfish. Don't care for oysters anyway, tho I could eat my weight in steamed clams dipped in drawn butter. Now my mouth is watering at the thought.....
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Hmmmmm.....why are you moving?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Hmmmmm.....why are you moving?
    I'm way overdue for a change of scene. I'm stagnating here...
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013