Thread: The cheapest-and most expensive-cars to drive

The cheapest-and most expensive-cars to drive

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/news/the-c...222344788.html

With gasoline prices on the rise again, many Americans are probably curious to know: What's the cheapest car to drive?

Well, gas-price comparison site GasBuddy.com crunched the numbers and the winner is ... the Toyota Prius!

The hybrid vehicle clocked in at just 7 cents per mile, beating out more than 700 cars for the title of cheapest ride.

Not surprisingly, hybrids across the board topped the least expensive list.

Lowest fuel-cost-per-mile

Toyota Prius c (7.2 cents/mile)
    Ford Fusion Hybrid (7.6 cents/mile)
    Ford C-MAX Hybrid (7.6 cents/mile)
    Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid (8.0 cents/mile)
    Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (8.0 cents per mile)

GasBuddy.com calculated the fuel-cost-per-mile by taking the combined EPA fuel economy ratings for each vehicle and divided that by the national average for a gallon of unleaded gas.

By comparison, the Bugatti Veyron, a 16-cylinder supercar that sells for $2.25 million dollars, is the most expensive car to fuel, coming in at 36 cents per mile.

"I suppose you could argue that someone driving a 16-cylinder car like the Veyron isn't worried about spending 36 cents per mile to drive their car!" said Tom Kloza with GasBuddy.com. "But for most people, this is a good gauge of how fuel efficient their car is out on the road," he said.

GasBuddy.com says the cars that cost the most to fuel uptend to be the most expensive cars, including ultra luxury sports cars and bigger, heavier trucks and vans.

Highest fuel-cost-per-mile

Bugatti Veyron (35.9 cents/mile)
    Ford E350 Wagon (32.6 cents/mile)
    Chevrolet 2500 Suburban (29.9 cents/mile)
    GMC 2500 Yukon XL (29.9 cents/mile)
    Lamborghini Aventador (29.9 cents/mile)

GasBuddy.com also broke the list down by automaker and individual brands that carry the lowest cost to fuel up. Topping the list - Smart, maker of the Smart car.

Lowest average fuel-cost-per-mile

Smart (10 cents/mile)
    Fiat (12 cents/mile)
    Scion (12.5 cents/mile)
    Mini (12.6 cents/mile)
    Honda (12.8 cents/mile)

Overall, most people spent less per mile on fuel in July of this year compared to July of 2012. That's a reflection of the moderate gas prices we've seen this summer.

What's a fair price to pay per mile?

According to GasBuddy.com, almost 500 vehicles cost less than 20 cents per mile to drive. What's a reasonable expectation? Kloza says anything under 19 or 20 cents per mile. "19 or 20 cents per mile is a fair expectation," says Kloza. "You can get a great car for that price and a lot lower without having to give up much."
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's somewhat deceiving, as there are gas powered cars which are far, far cheaper than any hybrid which get equal gas mileage, which means the total cost is much less.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My niece has a Prius (it was my brother's) and she swears by it. It might be the most economical to drive, but just hope you never have to replace the battery. Then you'll probably be swearing at it - just as she did.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Recently traded in my '00 Grand Am for a '12 Mazda 3... I average ~33mpg and get over 45mpg hwy (rated at 40mpg)... huuuuuuuuuuuuge upgrade over my average 23mpg I was getting with the Grand Am!

I am personally not a fan of most hybrids... I do like the Accord, but I have never liked the way ones like the Prius looks.

My sister and her hubby has the Accord Hybrid... they're great until you have to pay thousands to replace the battery...

EDIT: In fact, I've been tracking my mpg on fuelly.... I've been averaging $0.10/mile! http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rvtjess

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    GasBuddy.com also broke the list down by automaker and individual brands that carry the lowest cost to fuel up. Topping the list - Smart, maker of the Smart car.

Lowest average fuel-cost-per-mile

Smart (10 cents/mile)
    Fiat (12 cents/mile)
    Scion (12.5 cents/mile)
    Mini (12.6 cents/mile)
    Honda (12.8 cents/mile) [/url]
    That is so deceptive! I am sure a Honda Pilot gets way worse gas milage than a Civic, for example, and a Fiat truck gets far different gas mileage than a little Fiat Compact car ...

I do think http://www.fueleconomy.gov is a handy resource, if one is interested in such things.
    I've Been Frosted