Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unplanned rescue

Tony is doing well. Yes Ellie, just 3 doses of antibiotics and his is a new man -- I mean dog, he he.

Glad to have the RI contingent on here agreeing with the new name.

Welcome, Tony!!! What a great story and another great rescue. Keep an eye on him and Willy Can't wait to hear more stories.

I'm with kaycountrygal and asiel - As soon as I saw this, I knew you'd keep him. You'll love him and give him the very best life he could ever wish for. The smile on his face said it all - he's home. Congratulations to you all.

Thank you Allyser and Robin! Tony is really doing well here.

Sandie, did Tony-pup have his neuter surgery? I thought I read somewhere that he did, but I could be wrong. How did it go? Does his coat still feel like skin-so-soft? I'm so glad he is with you! ((HUGS))) Tony-pup!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Yes, Elyse, Tony had his neuter yesterday (Monday). He came home and the vet reports he did fine. TOny on the other hand thinks his world has ended and he MUST sit in my lap at all times!

I had to put an e collar on him as he insists on licking his stitches. Now he has 10 days of limited activity: no jumping, no stairs, walks on leash only.

Just checking in for a quick update (Fluffdate ) How's things? Tony-pup, are you learning how to go for a walk with a leash?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Tony is recovered from his neuter and doing fine. He pulls a LOT on the leash, I need to start working on that. I'd like to try training first before I spend money on an easy-walk harness.

Tony is an alpha, so he and Willy are not doing so well together. If Willy is in my lap, on a chair, the sofa, the bed, that's is alright, Tony will just hop up and join him / us. But if Tony is up first, he does not allow Willy up and a fight ensues. I've had to break them up 3 times so far. I do apply NILIF training and immediately put Tony down OFF whatever it is, then permit Willy up, and make Tony work for the privilege to join us.

Tony also seems to know when Willy's growls are aimed at me and leading to a snap / bite, and Tony attacks him at that point, as well. Willy has become much more cautious about going for me -- which is a plus. But it is clear that Willy, Tasha and Riley are all walking on egg shells around Tony and not pleased with his alpha attitude.

Gave all the fluffs their bath on Sunday afternoon. Tony's coat is so short just now, he was done in 10 minutes. At least it got him to see what I do, and I think he will be fine for grooming. When he went to get shaved on July 31, the groomer said he is easy to work with, so that is nice. Again, Tony kept close while it was Willy's turn, and each time Willy grumbled at me Tony went for him - couldn't reach Willy who was up on the table, but that got Willy's attention and he was lots calmer with me working on him.

And yet as long as he is not first up, Tony will snuggle and cuddle with any / all of them, blitz in the back yard - what fun to see THREE of them blitz together! (Willy doesn't do the blitz due to his arthritis). You'd think all is fine if you saw them at those times.

I took all 4 in to see Dad one afternoon. Dad happened to be lying on his bed, so the fluffs lined up 2 on each side, and Dad was thrilled just petting them. He kept saying, "Thank you," and "You can leave now, just let them stay here with me." (Shows where "I" am on the priority list ha haaa!)

Dominance issues are what I fear most about getting multiple dogs, but you seem to be handling yours really well. Do you think you may just foster him instead or are you sure about keeping him? I think his issues are pretty workable.

LOL I love the story of your visit with your Dad. That is too funny.

I missed this earlier (have been cat-sitting etc. for a month). How wonderful that Tony ended up with you, Sandie. In spite of his alpfa behaviour, it sounds like he gets along pretty well with all of them - and he has lots of playmates. Well done!

Enjoyed the pictures, too.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Dominance issues are what I fear most about getting multiple dogs, but you seem to be handling yours really well. Do you think you may just foster him instead or are you sure about keeping him? I think his issues are pretty workable.

LOL I love the story of your visit with your Dad. That is too funny.
    I am going to try to work with him and get things sorted out and calm. Hoping that as the hormones leave his system (takes 6 to 8 weeks according to my vet) that will help calm him. I 'think' it is more jealousy but I'm not sure on that. In which case, making him understand that I control resource (NILIF) and not the other dogs, that will help.

Glad to hear he is doing well! I was just thinking about when we would get an update on the handsome little man. Hopefully his hormones level out soon... I know it was about a month after Towser was neutered before he calmed down again.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}