Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unplanned rescue

Unplanned rescue

I always say I should NOT look at craigslist! But I do because I have a message I send out to folks who have lost a pet (dog or cat) which lists 14 things to do to try and get the pet home.

Saw a posting for a bichon. Weak, vulnerable time, having just lost Lacey. So I emailed. Four days later (and after the woman had changed her mind about rehoming the dog once) I went to pick up a bichon on Wednesday afternoon (yesterday). From speaking with the neighbor who had posted (the woman did not post herself) and from speaking with the woman, I knew this dog was in a tough situation. Not about to be PTS, but not in a proper setting for a bichon. I am glad I got him, he NEEDED help. The woman called me back after she'd had 2 phone calls from men living in Providence, who had strong accents. Providence has a high population from Haiti and Dominican Republic, where dog fighting is a 'sport,' and she was getting scared they would use her dog for bait. So she asked if she just GAVE him to me, would I take him. I said yes.

In my car
    [

There's that bichon smile!

Went straight to my groomer, no way this was something I could tackle myself. Had him walk for a pee first.

Stand by more of this story to come . . .
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-01-2013 at 04:30 PM.

She had a folder full of paperwork. Told me the dog is age 4. He is actually 3. His shots are all out of date. He is in tact and hence a marker, so he goes out on the porch at 6 AM and comes inside at 10 PM. He has never had a collar or harness, does not get walks, just pokes around in the back yard. She and her husband both work, and he has twice got out of the fence, she is worried he will get hit by a car.

My GROOMER tells me: his coat is 7 to 10 inches long, and he has been doused in Avon's Skin So Soft -- people do this because it keeps the bugs away. The mats were hard, and his coat was like a pelt. There was nothing to do but shave him down.

The Skin So Soft means his skin was quite wet underneath, and he was greasy. After removing the coat, she had to degrease him three times and still his has a slippery feel to him.

Two hours later, back outside before returning to the car.

More to come, please wait!
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-01-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Look at the curl in that tail!

His name is Gizmo. He has had no training, and does not know his name. If I keep him, the name will change. I have discussed him with a bichon rescue group, and they will take him, have an opening in a foster home.

Next we started in the back yard to meet the other fluffs: Riley came out first.

And promptly let him know who is boss!

Though I wanted Tasha to come out next, Willy insisted so both came out together. Tasha immediately tried her play bow out on him!

More pics to come
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-01-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Gizmo and Willy had a pee fest going for an hour and half in the back yard.

Willy also tried to show who is boss.

Tasha again

Five more photos to share and the rest of the story
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Last night, bedtime, he watched the others and then joined them, with no words from me!

Willy: this is how you do it! Giz: OK!

This morning I had him in to the vet. He got his rabies (good for 1 year) and his combo (good for 3 years as we have the paperwork on his prior shots). He has tested positive for Lyme, and has a month of meds. He is not eating, that is part of the Lyme disease. He is schedule to EITHER go to a foster home on Sunday or get neutered at my vet on Monday.

He gets along fine with my dogs, and is fine with cats (we didn't know about that as he'd never seen a cat, so this was a nice surprise for me).

Leaving the vet this morning to come back home:

He weighs 16. 2 pounds. His pee is SO stinky, due to being in tact; once he is neutered the smell goes away over 4 to 6 weeks. He will likely continue to mark. He is wearing a belly band -- so is Willy who decided he has to show who owns the place. He is from a puppy mill in Missouri - not a mill rescue as he was one delivered to a pet store as a puppy. He has the same b*tch as his grandmother on his mother's side, and as his great grandmother on his father's side. He has no physical issues -- teeth and ears are fine, no knee issues, no eye issues. He is a sweet personality.

He came through the local pet store, so my vet hospital was where he got all his puppy shots. Then he got sold, and something happened as he landed at animal control 4 towns over. He was adopted from there at age 5 months by the woman I got him from yesterday. All his documentation stayed with him, rare under the circs.

So now I have to decide if I am keeping him or sending him along to the rescue.
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Thank goodness you rescued him. He must have been miserably uncomfortable under all that perfumed and matted hair! He looks much happier now!
    I've Been Frosted

And thinking of him in that coat during the week of 100 degree temps, makes me shudder!

Hello, Gizmo! It's nice to meet you today! You look much different after your trim-- you remind me of a sweet lamb! I bet you feel a lot better without all the mats and Skin So Soft on you. So you will have a couple of days with the Fluffs, and then you will either go to a foster home or stay where you are. You look pretty comfortable on the bed with everyone- you did a good job of figuring that out! I hope you have lots of fun this weekend with Willy, Riley and Tasha!

Edited to say- I'm smiling at the "on the bed" photos in post #5 -- Fluffs, if mum bends her body at an angle, there just might be enough room for her on the bed with all of you, right?

Welcome, Gizmo - whether it is for part of a week, or much much longer! I also like the pictures in #5 where he is smiling and looking out the door of your car. Like he knows something nice is about to happen!
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 08-01-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    Congratulations to you Freedom & the Fluffs. Gizmo is in the greatest home ever.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Awww, looking at the first pictures I was saying....he's sooo cute! Especially the smiley one.
    Then the pictures after being groomed..........WOW! He is one handsome guy!!!

I am so glad the lady decided to give him over to you instead of to the other men she had talked to.

Well Gizmo, you are now safe and will eventually find a wonderful home to spend the rest of your life in.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Sandie, he reminds me of my Oreo!
    Obviously not the same color-wise, but the same type of "rescue me" story.

He is one handsome little guy!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

What a little cutie after he got shaved down. I just know this little white fluff will get neutered ...he fits in too well with all your other white fluffs and he couldn't have landed in a better home. It's almost like he was sent to you by Lacey...his name isn't something I like either...but I bet you can come up with something fitting--- you're so lucky the others get along with him, they seem to have settled top dog right off which is good-- almost like they need him to fill a void ... he looks like a happy little fellow compared to the first pictures with that tangled coat.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    And thinking of him in that coat during the week of 100 degree temps, makes me shudder!
    Yes, me, too. As for changing his name, I instantly thought of Jimmy. Lacey, of course always reminded me on Queen Anne's lace, and Queen Anne was married to King James ... But James seems a bit serious for this smiley boy! Or of course Giacomo - the Italian version of James!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you so much for rescuing him. He sure looks like he feels so much better now. He really fits in so well with your other fluffs and even your cats. I think he was meant to be with your family but only you can make that choice. Either way I know he'll find a wonderful loving caring new forever home. He's such a handsome boy too.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Wherever Gizmo goes - he has you Sandie to thank, for getting him going in the right direction. And somehow I believe that Lacey had a hand in this too. And Tasha looks to be smitten with him - could she be telling you something????

He definitely looks to be a happy little guy and is happy to have a bunch of new friends too. I'm sure they can teach him all about how much fun it is to live at their house.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~