Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veterinary work in Zimbabwe

Wow! I really enjoyed hearing about your exciting trip and seeing all of the wonderful pictures too. Thanks so much for being able to share this with us.

Wonderful pictures along with a good bit of education! Thanks for sharing Zara!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

OH MY GOSH!!!! Zara this is just INCREDIBLE!!! Working in the veterinary field myself, I would love to get my hands on some of these magnificent creatures! What an amazing experience, you're amazing!

Congratulations Zara and thank you so much for sharing your fantastic experience with us all. You are obviously passionate about your chosen field and you will be an incredible veterinarian. I look forward to seeing and hearing so much more about the adventures ahead.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Amazing!!. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences and photos with us. Good luck and all the best for the future.

Thank you, Zara, both for the fabulous photos and the account of the work you undertook in Zimbabwe, really interesting. Congratulations on your graduation too!

btw, I couldn't find a link to your Facebook, is that because you would like to keep in private? I know I do. so certainly no worries if you do too.

Thanks again everyone!

Chris - I will PM you a facebook link

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    OH MY GOSH!!!! Zara this is just INCREDIBLE!!! Working in the veterinary field myself, I would love to get my hands on some of these magnificent creatures! What an amazing experience, you're amazing!
    Oh Kaitlyn, if you ever get the chance you definitely should. AWARE would definitely take you on if you ever wanted to do it!

As promised, here's a video of us trying to chase away the mother rhino from her calf on the dehorning ops. It's a shame that we had to stress her out in this way, but of course losing the calf under anaesthetic would have been devastating. The cars (and we!) were fine - I don't think she really went for it although she quite easily could have had she so chosen. At least this footage shows that she's a very good mother!

Might want to turn the speakers down a tad unless you want the full 'how to chase away a rhino' experience

Zimbabwe 07/13

Ahh, Zara! I creepily liked all these on Facebook LOL. But congratulations and what a great experience!! I feel so behind. All I've done so far is one internship at a Wildlife Refuge. I applied for a lot but didn't get one this summer. Anyway, these photos are amazing, especially with the lion, how cool!! I LOVE the Hornbills, they've always been my favorite birds because they're so unique. I am so glad you go to experience this!!

Congratulations on your graduation!! When are you coming to America to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Ahh, Zara! I creepily liked all these on Facebook LOL. But congratulations and what a great experience!! I feel so behind. All I've done so far is one internship at a Wildlife Refuge. I applied for a lot but didn't get one this summer. Anyway, these photos are amazing, especially with the lion, how cool!! I LOVE the Hornbills, they've always been my favorite birds because they're so unique. I am so glad you go to experience this!!

Congratulations on your graduation!! When are you coming to America to work?
    That's still a great thing to do! It took me over a year to scrimp and save for Zimbabwe so it won't be regular work for me as a student unfortunately. I hear you though - wildlife work is particularly difficult to get outside of Africa and South America - I've come across such lengthy waiting lists here in the UK that I'd be a qualified vet by the time they'd let me have 2 weeks placement.

As for coming to the USA, well I have some clinical placements to carry out over the next three years, so if I could get a few grants together, anything is possible...

Zimbabwe 07/13