Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vet Prices....

Vet Prices....

They are INSANE! (This is about my rats by the way). We took Fred and Oscar to the vet on 12/02 to get a "physical" done to make sure they are healthy enough for their neutering tomorrow (12/11). They socked my parents $74.20. All they did was listen to their breathing and heart beat with a stethascope (sp ). I'm not kidding you, thats all they did. Then, we had to take Nugget to the vet on 12/07, because she came down with a case of pnemonia- grand total:$125.90
    ($37.10 for an "exotic visit" and $88.80 for x-rays). To add to that, Dr. Roussel never gave us her anitbiotics. We called her when we got home, and the receptionist told us she'd give Dr. Roussel the message- she never called us back. Tomorrow its going to cost around $300.00 to have Oscar and Fred neutered!! OI! THANKS MOM! (LOVE YA!)

How much does it usually cost you for a vet visit??
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

You're probably going to hate me, but our vet charges $28 for an office visit, but if you are getting shots all you pay for are the shots that are $28. A spay is $80 and a neuter is $65. He only charges us what he pays for Interceptor. AND he will come into the office or to your house if you have large animals like cows or llamas (he's one of the midwest's experts on llamas) if it's an emergency and that's 24/7.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Lucky.....

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I know we are...and I'm going to be devastated when he retires in a couple of years.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Re: Vet Prices....

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    They are INSANE! (This is about my rats by the way). We took Fred and Oscar to the vet on 12/02 to get a "physical" done to make sure they are healthy enough for their neutering tomorrow (12/11). They socked my parents $74.20. All they did was listen to their breathing and heart beat with a stethascope (sp ). I'm not kidding you, thats all they did. Then, we had to take Nugget to the vet on 12/07, because she came down with a case of pnemonia- grand total:$125.90
    ($37.10 for an "exotic visit" and $88.80 for x-rays). To add to that, Dr. Roussel never gave us her anitbiotics. We called her when we got home, and the receptionist told us she'd give Dr. Roussel the message- she never called us back. Tomorrow its going to cost around $300.00 to have Oscar and Fred neutered!! OI! THANKS MOM! (LOVE YA!)

How much does it usually cost you for a vet visit??
    Rats are considered exotics but most vets will only charge fees for one rat if you brind mulitples. 40 dollars each per rat? or total? oh man that is a lot for an exam.

I don't know why it is costing you $300 for neatuers, unless they are charging boarding and after care fees? rat neuter usually costs around $40 dollars, if you are paying more then you are getting ripped off in my opinion, and I have done a lot of rat neuters. I thought they were getting it done on my birthday? What happened? Good luck to your dumbo cuties. The earlier you fix the less likely they are to get testicular cancer.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

All my vets have always charged an arm and a leg. They do all sorts of stuff that isn't necessary and then tell you afterwards. Then you see the bill and they charged tons of money for it!

I am seeing a new wonderful vet though. Very reasonably priced and one of the best vets in Austin. It is also the only vet in Austin who REFUSES to declaw cats under any circumstances. They are sooooo nice there. They give me major discounts on Peka since she's not really mine and I saved her from being euthanized at the shelter.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Re: Re: Vet Prices....

Originally posted by luckies4me
    40 dollars each per rat? or total? oh man that is a lot for an exam.
    I thought they were getting it done on my birthday? What happened?
    Yes....$40.00 per rat! It turns out that the one for your birthday was a "check-up"- the one that costed us $74.00

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Oh yea....she also said that after the operation...they won't stitch it closed, and she said it will just hang open for a couple of days... and also said there is really no reason to prescribe antibiotics. YEAH RIGHT!!!! I DON'T THINK SO! She's probably going to charge us two legs and an arm. There are only 2 vets in my area that treat rats...this one...and another one which I refuse to go to- I can't tell you how much I hate them (long boring story!). So... I really don't know what to do.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    Oh yea....she also said that after the operation...they won't stitch it closed, and she said it will just hang open for a couple of days... and also said there is really no reason to prescribe antibiotics. YEAH RIGHT!!!! I DON'T THINK SO! She's probably going to charge us two legs and an arm. There are only 2 vets in my area that treat rats...this one...and another one which I refuse to go to- I can't tell you how much I hate them (long boring story!). So... I really don't know what to do.
    There is no need to stitch them, it closes by itself. Cats are neutered the same way.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Since this forum will not let me edit my posts I will post what I was going to add here.

Also it's not invasive surgery, so antibiotics are not needed. If you were doing a spay, then that would be different. I got to neuter Mystic and I helped spay Houdini. It's amazing! I love helping with surgeries!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Originally posted by aly It is also the only vet in Austin who REFUSES to declaw cats under any circumstances. They are sooooo nice there.
    Thank god for that! I hate declawes, not to mention tail docking and ear clipping! I think it is discusting and abusive. Have you seen it done? My first declaw I helped in I almost puked!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

My vet (it's a cat hospital) is $35 for an office visit, unless they don't really have to do anything, and they take money off. When I took Tilly in for her acne, the vet only had to look at her chin so she only charged 25 instead. Also, when I took Tilly in again for the same problem it was cheaper, because it was a "re-treat" visit. A spay is 80 if the cat isn't in heat, and 90 if she is. I don't know what a neuter is because I don't have boys. Sounds like the vet you are going to knows that it's the only rat place, so they are charging you so much because you don't have any other choices. I think that's SO dirty!!

Neuteres are very easy, take about ten minutes and are done. You just cut, open, pull out, snip, hold, snip and tie. hehe maybe that will give you an idea.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

We never asked for an estimate on the neutering, so YLL is just speculating here. I sincerely hope it will be nowhere near $300.00, but this vet is pricey so I won't be surprised. I have spent more on the rats in these past few months than I have spent in an entire cat's lifetime. They're just fragile, short-lived animals - they were cheap to buy but expensive to maintain. I swear that after this last crop passes on, NO MORE RATS unless YLL has a job and can pay the vet bills. I had no idea when she got them that they were going to cost me so much. I love the little boogers though, so I keep schlepping them to the vet, week after week, handing them my VISA card.......... I think I'll start shopping around for a better exotic vet, though.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

My vet charges $30 for an office visit.....I'm not sure if that applies to all types of animals, as I've only brought in dogs. Have you checked every vet possible to see if there are any others that will treat rats?