Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet the Kiz

Wow, she is gorgeous! I love her coloring and those ears. My first thought was akita/malinois. Love the name too.

She is beautiful! What a happy girl .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

She is so beautiful! Congrats on such a splendid find, she is lucky to have you!

Oh wow, I thought Taggart's ears are big Those are huge! Make sure she doesn't lift off next time there is a strong wind, haha.

I also think there might be some Akita in there. At least the photo of her sitting looks very much like an Akita. Either way, she is extremely adorable and just from the pictures I can tell she has plenty of personality to spare!

Beautiful! Congrats! Love her name (but I've loved all your pets' names!!)

OMG I want that dog! She reminds me of one of my favorite wild creatures, the African wild dog. I'm glad she's found a loving home. I agree she does kind of have an akita look to her whatever she may be.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Thanks everybody for the compliments on my girl! She's keeping me hopping right now. Her personality is coming shining thru as she gets more comfortable and she's quite the character. She now yodels. Maddie use to yodel when she was happy, so I'm taking that as a good sign. She's caught her hedgie toy in the air, 4 times. So our frisbee hope is still alive. Big Yeah! Sometimes when she runs, she bounces like a deer. Very hilarious. She jumped up onto the bathroom counter yesterday to check out the adorable dog in the mirror. I don't think banana is going to be her thing. I gave her a bite from my smoothie and she was rolling it around on the floor like it was a toy. She had it smooshed all over her paw and the floor. I alternated between laughter and tears on that one. I have to keep reminding myself that she's not going to be Gull. She's going to be her own unique, special self and the discovery of who she is, is half the fun. And I also remind myself I cried the first 2 weeks I had Gull, because he wasn't Maddie. So here we are full circle.

This is the first rescue dog I've had and so far it seems very much like having a puppy. She's learning manners and her name and basic obedience right now. She's picking up on everything very fast though. I just can't believe somebody had her before and didn't even teach her to sit. She's so smart and is like a lil' sponge, with everything new you toss at her. So much potential they just wasted. shaking head. The only issue we're having is she's having a lil' separation anxiety, which I'm guessing is because she was abandoned. I never really had that issue with any of my other 4. I've been building up her time away from me. So hopefully we can work up to her being secure alone. I guess if worse came to worse, I could get a second dog.

So my vet thinks she's a Malinois/Basenji mix and after researching Basenjis online, I think he's right. She's got a lot of Basenji features. The wrinkly forehead. Her coloring and body look very much Basenji like and her coat is low shedding. That was a nice surprise after years of having to de-Collie-hair the house real quick, whenever anybody visited. While she does have a deep bark (the Malinois part I'm sure), she's very quiet most of the time, but she's got that adorable Basenji yodel (Hopefully I can get that on video at some point). She is a hunter. She's come close to nabbing a squirrel in the backyard, twice now. Boy, were they shocked. They were so use to Gull, who'd bark and announce he was coming as soon as he cleared the back door and was too slow to catch'em even without the announcement, that they'd mill around on the ground in the backyard and let him get really close to'em before they'd move. They were totally caught off guard when she came sailing out the back door after them. She got between the one and the tree so fast, you could see the panic on his face. The only thing that saved him was she had to slow up enough to duck under the swing in her pursuit of him. She's bolted after'em while we're out walking too. Onleash of course, luckily for the squirrels. So I'm having to shift my mindset from 10 years of having Collies, back to like having Cairns again. No offleash and working on waiting at doors and gates for Kizzie.

She's such a great dog. I love her to pieces already. I'll keep adding updates on our progress in here. And I'll post some more pics and vids too.

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Lil' update on the Kiz. Crating her while I'm gone, is a no go. Guess a couple of months or more couped up in the shelter was enough of being trapped for a lifetime for her. I left her last week to go out for 3 hrs and when I got home, she'd bent the bars of the crate, pulled part of my bedspread into the crate and chewed it up, knocked everything off the nitestand and managed to get the crate liner in the crate and under the crate across the room. We've been having more success with her being alone in the backyard. Lots of squirrels and bugs to watch and hunt and she loves Charlie, the Aussie mix next door. They touch noses thru the fence. So far (fingers crossed), there's been no barking or damage when left alone outside. She seems calm about it. So my sister helped me install a dog door yesterday. It leads to my closed off utility room. Once I've decided she's trustworthy in the house alone, I'll open the utility room door to give her full access to the rest of the house.

One hot dog later and she got the concept of going in and out of the dog door. Here's a few photos of her, with new love. The dog door. I was making a game of it. That last photo is right before she plowed me over and we ended up in a heap on the ground, with me at her mercy as she licked me to death.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiz_dogdoor2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	56883 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiz_dogdoor.jpg 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	56884 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kiz_dogdoor3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	56885

She loves laying behind my boxwood shrubs.

Name:	Kizzie_outside2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1,021.9 KB 
ID:	56886 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kizzie_outside.jpg 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	56887

More photos coming in the next post.

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

This is the fence she shares with Charlie. No sign of him today, so she's headed back to me.

Name:	Kizzie_outside3.jpg 
Size:	645.5 KB 
ID:	56890

We're making a lot of progress on catch and fetch and I've got her going after frisbee rollers now. So one step closer to frisbee. Yeah! She got her rabies shot last week, so I've gotta sign her up for obedience this week. We'll see how that goes and than decide on agility.

She was not a fan of the car, so we made a trip to Sonic and I got a kids meal for her. One Jr. Burger later and she now thinks the car is the best. thing. ever! She hops right in now. She also got a Justice League toy, which she loves. We will be going back to Sonic to see what toy we can get next. Here's a couple of pics of her with it.

Name:	kizzie_toy1.jpg 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	56888 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kizzie_toy2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	56889 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kizzie_toy3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	56891

As I''ve been typing up these posts, I bet she's been in and out the dog door 15 times. She runs out to check to see if Charlie's outside, than she runs back inside to see if I'm doing anything exciting yet. She's gonna be pooped tonite. I think I'm in love with the dog door too.

Oh, such fun you are having with her! Thanks for sharing her with us!
    I've Been Frosted

love this update!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Hi, Kiz! You did a great job of learning how the dog door works! I like your ears, and I like your darker face and your brown and white coat colors! I like pictures #2 and #3 of you demonstrating your dog door, because you look so happy! This update makes my whole face go like this Could you please have your mom give you a big hug from me? I bet you will do great in your obedience classes!

Thank you,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I somehow missed this entire thread until now. What a good dog Kizzie is! I must say she has the biggest ears ever; she's sweet. Can you imagine (I'm sure you can) how great it is for her to be able to go in and out of your house and not be in a small area at the animal shelter? I bet she loves being outside and everything with you. Glad to hear everything is working out. It sounds as if you two are meant for each other. Love all the pics.

She is gorgeous! The reason she was passed up was that she was waiting for you. They know the right person. Congratulations!

Thanks ya'll!

I think I've found her song. Crocodile Rock. When she gets really excited in play, she gets mouthy. A bit of the Malinois coming out I'm thinking. We've been working on more appropriate play and she's getting better. I've started calling her gator girl though. And today I was singing Crocodile Rock and she loved the Yaaahhh. YahYahYahYah. Yaaaahhh part.

I've really gotta get some video of her playing. She's vedy entertaining to watch.