Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Summertime thoughts

We had a little heat wave a few weeks ago so I ran the A/C and got a bill for 300 dollars, so I try not to run it too much.

If I jump in the pool I am cooled off for hours after. Of course the dogs don't swim so when they start panting the air goes on.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    We had a little heat wave a few weeks ago so I ran the A/C and got a bill for 300 dollars, so I try not to run it too much.

If I jump in the pool I am cooled off for hours after. Of course the dogs don't swim so when they start panting the air goes on.
    Yikes - you must have some outrageous electric rates. This is an all electric house (about 2350 sq ft) and has a 3 ton central a.c. and a smaller heat pump/a.c. unit in the area of the 3 room addition. Total electric bill in the heat of summer never runs us that much. And that's just not the cooling - it includes hot water, clothes dryer, kitchen range, freezer that is in the hot garage - anything and everything that is electric.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It is about 2:30 p.m., I have not ventured outside today - I just looked and it is
    Temp: 97° F
    Humidity: 41%
    Feel like: 103° F

I'll stay inside and cool for now, thanks!

One other summertime thought: I bought some popsicles - peach ones, real fruit - and when I finish one, it reminds me of Miss Hoppy - she enjoyed nibbling the wooden, fruit-soaked popsicle sticks. Now I just discard them, but think of her and feel a tad guilty for "wasting" them!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Yikes - you must have some outrageous electric rates. This is an all electric house (about 2350 sq ft) and has a 3 ton central a.c. and a smaller heat pump/a.c. unit in the area of the 3 room addition. Total electric bill in the heat of summer never runs us that much. And that's just not the cooling - it includes hot water, clothes dryer, kitchen range, freezer that is in the hot garage - anything and everything that is electric.
    Our house is 2750 sq feet, it has 3 zones for the a/c but if i don't turn them all on it doesn't work right. I think our rates are pretty high here.
    We also run a pool pump but I don't think it costs too much to run that.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is about 2:30 p.m., I have not ventured outside today - I just looked and it is
    Temp: 97° F
    Humidity: 41%
    Feel like: 103° F

I'll stay inside and cool for now, thanks!

One other summertime thought: I bought some popsicles - peach ones, real fruit - and when I finish one, it reminds me of Miss Hoppy - she enjoyed nibbling the wooden, fruit-soaked popsicle sticks. Now I just discard them, but think of her and feel a tad guilty for "wasting" them!

We topped out at 96 / 110

It has now dropped to a cool 94 / 105

So Karen - did you finally have to break down and turn the a.c. on - or are you still cool enough without it?

Every time I have a freezer pop - and I go thru a lot in this weather - I think of how much Sparky loved them and how I always had to share mine with him. I miss that little fuzzbutt-fuzzmutt.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More yum.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	908.2 KB 
ID:	56800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YUM.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	902.3 KB 
ID:	56801  
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

We topped out at 96 / 110

It has now dropped to a cool 94 / 105

So Karen - did you finally have to break down and turn the a.c. on - or are you still cool enough without it?
    Thankfully, as I said, this apartment gets very little sun, so as long as we are smart about it, it stay fairly cool. Right now, just looked, it is only 80° in here, which is fine! It rarely hit 80° inside, but that's way better than what's outside!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Thankfully, as I said, this apartment gets very little sun, so as long as we are smart about it, it stay fairly cool. Right now, just looked, it is only 80° in here, which is fine! It rarely hit 80° inside, but that's way better than what's outside!

You must have a lot of shade, and a very well insulated building if it's only 80 in spite of the outside temp. However - I still would never be able to stand even that "low" temp when the humidity is so high. That's the killer.....
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

You must have a lot of shade, and a very well insulated building if it's only 80 in spite of the outside temp. However - I still would never be able to stand even that "low" temp when the humidity is so high. That's the killer.....

Amen to that. We've had high temps with equally high humidity for the last 4 days & that's murder. I couldn't breath with out AC.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Okay - we have hit a landmark - tonight, it is solo humid outside after being soooo hot today, I have to say walking outside felt like walking into a dryer. But the most remarkable was, I just did some grocery shopping. The store is, of course, air conditioned. I was in there long enough so that when I walked OUTSIDE, my glasses immediately fogged up! (This normally only happens in winter, coming in from cold outside!)

Weather.com currently - this is at 9 p.m., says it is
    88°F
    68% humidity
    "feels like" 99° !

Officially yuck! Will be glad when the thunderstorms come tomorrow to break this pattern!
    I've Been Frosted

So today was a huge improvement, low 80's, low humidity! Is everyone else out of the humdididity hotness, I hope? We never got the promised big storms Saturday, and yesterday was pretty sticky and hot still be today was a big relief, and we may get rain tomorrow!
    I've Been Frosted

Saw this on Facebook and had to share!

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Even though it's been in the mid 70's to low 80's, it's been very humid and muggy here. I'm not used to this so this makes me feel so much hotter and sweaty than I should be. It's still about 70 outside at almost 11:30pm. I don't have any AC so I hope that I'll be able to sleep well tonight with my fan turned on all night as well as my window open. I don't think I'd ever be able to survive living on the East Coast again. My body isn't used to any humidity any more. I have a feeling that August will be an even hotter month this year.

Still way too uncomfortable to suit me. Temp hovering around 90 and humidity is still way way way up there. Yesterday it really got to me - knocked me on my butt - soooo sick!! Storms came thru last night but all it did was make it more humid. I'm fading fast.................
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Still way too uncomfortable to suit me. Temp hovering around 90 and humidity is still way way way up there. Yesterday it really got to me - knocked me on my butt - soooo sick!! Storms came thru last night but all it did was make it more humid. I'm fading fast.................

Hang on pom, it's still early Summer. There's always the ice cold rag on the face trick. It works if you're not moving around much.

Rains came through here & cooled it off some, but still humid. This mornings temp was 79 degrees and 79% humidity. Just wonderful.....
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am happy, rain, rain and now sunshine, but still just 75°F! Come to Boston, Pom! The rain just stopped, and as I said the sun has come out, but weather.com says 95% humidity - duh! It just stopped pouring!
    I've Been Frosted