Thread: Summertime thoughts

Hybrid View

Summertime thoughts

When it is really hot and sticky, I find myself wishing there was a pond nearby to swim in. There are plenty of bodies of water near me, but one is a reservoir (no swimming allowed) and I don't know where there's a public beach in this town, or if there is.

Had a conversation with someone the other day, and it got me wondering ... how many people use air conditioning in the summer? We have it available but tend not to use it - we can keep the place pretty cool because we get very little sunlight, so keeping shades down for the small periods of time we do, and it doesn't really heat up. But I hear the A/C running constantly for other units, and wonder if they just don't draw the blinds in the morning or what? How conscious are you of such things?

It's muggy now, and rain may get heavier, storms are predicted ...
    I've Been Frosted

The A/C in this house is running constantly the vast majority of the year. My mom and dad (when he was alive) are both super hot natured... something I didn't inherit. Half of the time in the summer I am running around in sweaters when I am at the house.

It was crazy muggy and gross outside yesterday. I don't like being in the sun, but I can handle heat as long as the humidity stays far, far away.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Like it's said ....... it's not the heat - it's the humidity! The AC here runs all summer - I'd be dead without it. I get physically ill when it's hot - nausea and terrible headaches and just not a pleasant person to be around.

I can't stand the dampness in the house when the humidity is high - everything feels damp and sticky and even smells musty. Even if it's not extremely hot outside but it's humid, then the AC does not get turned off. It is more efficient and cheaper to run if it's left to cycle on and off, than turning it off and opening the windows if it cools off at night, or for a few days. When you turn it back on, it will run longer and harder to clear the dampness and cool the house again.

It has been a wicked, humid summer here so far this year. Thank goodness for my AC...............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

The humidity was horrible, and that 4 day heat wave, well, my a/c was running around the clock. And we only went outside mornings and evenings, we remained indoors from about 11 AM to 6 PM!

I'm lucky, it rarely gets extremely hot here, but when it does, it's unbearable. In Denmark it's not common to have A/C, so all I can do is keep the blinds down and open windows.

I agree that humidity is the worst. That I experienced in Dominican Republic, even though it was December. Don't know what they do in summer such places.

Stay cool, everyone!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The A/C runs constantly. I hate humidity, the problem is it doesn't really effect me that much. As a former costume character, my body can handle the heat more than certain people can but I just dislike heat and I pretty much hate all humidity. Hey, if it was 80 degree F with no humidity I'd love it!

WOW - now that is one BIG banana split. It looks incredibly delicious...........

OOPS - that's in the other thread about the hot weather. Sorry.

Not to harp on the hot weather and those who choose not to use their a.c.'s, but I just heard this sad story on the Phila news: Philly's first heat related death was reported today when a 57 year old man was found dead in his house. He had a.c., but it was not turned on. Even quite frequently you hear of people found dead in their homes and apartments (mostly the elderly) who have no a.c. or fans, yet leave all their windows closed - thinking that they are keeping the hot air out.

I know you might say the heat doesn't bother you, but it takes a toll on your body whether it bothers you or not. Stay safe in this dangerously hot weather. One good thing about it - it can't last forever and will cool off some soon.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Yeah, I meant to post it over there, posted it here then moved it!

The great thing about Cabot's is they have dairy free ice cream, too - so you could have a sundae of your own, no tummy ache required. I have heard from lactose intolerant friends that it is the only dairy free ice cream they have had that actually tastes like ice cream!

Do not worry about me, I drink enough water, cold water this time of year, and only do my exercise late at night when it has cooled off.
    I've Been Frosted

Hi - it's just your friendly PT weather lady, checking in.

It was already 81 at 5:30 a.m. YOWZER!!! It's gonna be another cooker. I was just looking at The Weather Channel web site for this zip code, and they are reporting "oppressive humidity" No shiat, Sherlock,,,,

Take it easy everyone, if you are stuck in this soup. Relief coming here by late Sunday. Woo-Hoo I hope the forecasters have it right this time.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

It's 77 here and it's only 10am. At least it's not in the 80s or 90s yet.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Temp at noon: 94F
    Heat index: 107F
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013