Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fostering Mama and babies. LOTS of questions! *PIC ADDED!*

Congrats on your new family!

You said:
    ...so right now we are going through 6 cans of Fancy Feast a day....

I was thinking if it were me, I would be switching to a less expensive canned food and then I read that you are thinking about getting some 9 Lives. Yes, That should save you some money if Her Highness will eat it . Good Luck! I always fed my cat/s dry and canned that I mixed together.

Quote Originally Posted by kaycountrygal View Post
    Congrats on your new family!

You said:
    ...so right now we are going through 6 cans of Fancy Feast a day....

I was thinking if it were me, I would be switching to a less expensive canned food and then I read that you are thinking about getting some 9 Lives. Yes, That should save you some money if Her Highness will eat it . Good Luck! I always fed my cat/s dry and canned that I mixed together.
    Hee hee, yes, if Celeste was ANYTHING but a nursing mama I'd let her know that she could darn well eat what I put in front of her or she could go hungry until she decided to eat what was provided! I'm actually headed to the grocery store in a few minutes and I think they have some 9 lives there. I'll try a can and see if it's acceptable.

How wonderful that you're caring so well for this little family. I hope you'll find something healthy the mom likes and she will produce enough milk for the kittens - love the name Celeste.

Btw, expensive food, which is healthier, she will eat less of, so it may not be a bad idea.

Thank you, and good luck with them!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I seem to remember reading one time that a new momma cat should be fed kitten food. Not sure if that is true - maybe someone else here knows?

Soooo my sil just came by and informed me that both kittens are boys! That means one potential home has fallen through because she has her heart set on a girl kitten. But hey! It's kitten season and there are girl kittens everywhere!

I'm keeping Star's name though, it works just as well for a boy. Comet may wind up named Cosmo, because I keep calling him that by mistake. Oops!

I almost forgot, new pic of the boys! Comet was soooo puny and skinny at first, he's making up for lost time now!!

Oh my goodness, they are just SOOOOOO adorable! Be still, my heart!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

What an adorable little cat family. I like the names you chose. I'm sure that they'll all find their forever home very quickly. Good luck.

I would assume Celeste is using the litter box now? How is she doing? Just an FYI - cats do not like their litter box anywhere near their food as a general rule. If she's picky that could be an issue.

It is an adorable family - you are so sweet to take them in!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Litter box use does not seem to be an issue. It's on the opposite end of the four foot crate from her food, and she uses it. It's rather unnerving to see how much of that food is going to make milk though, she's only pooping every other day! 0.0

She's starting to get restless and want out and about in the house. I may let her run around the spare room when I get home this evening just to stretch her legs a bit.

I'm in love with all of those beautiful kitties! The babies are too far beyond adorable and Celeste is absolutely gorgeous. Bless you for taking this family in and giving them the love and care they need and deserve. Please keep us updated on how they're doing?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

As long as she's being fed and the babies are suckling, chances are she'll produce more milk. Feed her a high caloric wet food and dry kitten food. That'll help her put on more weight and it's good for the babies, too.

I am in LOVE with the buff colored baby. Charlotte looks like a great mom and an awesome companion.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks Donna! The babies are getting nice and fat now that Celeste has an all-day buffet! She still won't touch the dry food, though I replace it with fresh stuff every morning.

I'm taking them to the vet in an hour for a once-over, and to have Celeste FELV/FIV tested. While they're in the travel crate I'll be giving their big crate a scrubbing, as it looks like Celeste missed the edge of the litterbox last night and peed on the floor of the crate. She hissed at me when I tried to clean up earlier, so I'll just wait until she's out and scrub the whole thing.

I'll snap some new pics too!

OK, no new pics yet, but soon! Celeste's vet appointment was frustrating. I have no A/C in my car, so I rolled the windows down and kept it as cool as possible, which wasn't very. So she was too hot when we got to the clinic.The tech decided she must have a kitten stuck or something, and took her to get an x-ray.

Celeste is a DOLL, and she was VERY sweet with the people who took her rads, and her FELV/FIV test came back negative. They want me to bring her back for vaccines "when her fever goes down" ...but my car is not magically going to develop an air conditioner and the clinic is half an hour away, so I don't even know what they want from me.

Luckily, the foster coordinator told me to take Celeste's temp at home. If it stays normal for a few days I'll bring her in and she'll have them vaccinate her even though she'll be hot when she arrives.

Glad she tested negative!

Do you have a friend with a car that has air conditioning for the next vet trip? Or is there a mobile vet that could give her the vaccines at your home?

Hugs to her and her babies!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda