Thread: Trapping abandoned dogs?

Trapping abandoned dogs?

I went in to my boss' office this morning for a meeting, and was greeted by a pair of cute little chihuahuas in back of the warehouse. Sometimes the warehouse guys bring their dogs in, but they are usually tethered in the shade and out of the way of the forklifts, so I was puzzled.

I asked my boss, who told me that there were actually FIVE chihuahuas that have been dropped over the fence and left in the backyard! 0_0 The warehouse guys have been feeding them since Friday when they were first seen, and trying to get close enough to catch them, but the dogs are having none of it.

The dogs are in good shape, and they are fenced in so they will not get in the street. They have food, water, and shady areas to rest so they are safe for the time being. Still, I would like to catch them and get them vetted and turned over to one of several local rescues. One in particular has a foster mom with a soft spot for chihuahuas, and a talent for working with fearful dogs.

Does anyone have experience trapping frightened dogs? I can rent a trap (or five? Maybe?) from a few places nearby, but I don't know how to proceed from there. Do I take a cheeseburger, Eldad Hagar style, and sit nearby to tempt them in? Do I bait it in the shade and check back a few hours later? How would you go about catching them?? How do I get them OUT of the trap afterward?

I was able to get within about six feet of the boldest one today, but he was on HIGH ALERT, and there was no way I was getting any closer.

Every chance you get, go back and sit near them, something tasty in hand. Peanut butter is nice and fragrant ... get them used to you, and the sound of your voice, and you may be able to win their trust in a less traumatic way than trapping them would be. Make a routine out of it - same time every day if you can, as we all know how dogs love routine!
    I've Been Frosted

Yikes, I work full-time half an hour away from the main warehouse, and I just go there twice a week for meetings. I can encourage the warehouse guys to keep feeding them and talking to them, and I can probably stop in to see them twice a ween on top of meeting days and bring them some hot dogs.

Since they're not in any immediate danger, maybe having the guys try to catch then would be better than getting a trap? I don't want anyone to get bitten, especially since the dogs seem timid but not unfriendly.

Ack, so much to think about...

This seems like a lot to handle on your own. Can you get in touch with one of the rescue groups you mentioned
    to get their help pick up the pups? Hopefully, with their help & experience, it would go much easier. Best of luck
    getting them out of this situation & into foster homes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Yikes, I work full-time half an hour away from the main warehouse, and I just go there twice a week for meetings. I can encourage the warehouse guys to keep feeding them and talking to them, and I can probably stop in to see them twice a ween on top of meeting days and bring them some hot dogs.

Since they're not in any immediate danger, maybe having the guys try to catch then would be better than getting a trap? I don't want anyone to get bitten, especially since the dogs seem timid but not unfriendly.

Ack, so much to think about...

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Offer dog food or treats, and whatever incentives you think these guys would need to convince the pups people are okay!
    I've Been Frosted

I agree w/ lizbud, you should try to get one or several of the rescues to help with this.

Does the warehouse have an office or any room? Working them in to one room will make things lots easier. Then I would suggest following TNR procedures, for trapping feral cats. The difference being, if these dogs were ever pets, ever handled, once caught they will calm right down.

Don't worry about getting them OUT of the traps, let the rescue or a vet do that. Then the dogs will in a small exam room, easier to handle.

I also suggest getting 5 traps, but do work with someone familiar with this sort of thing.

Thanks everyone. I'm headed back to the warehouse tomorrow morning and I'll chat with the warehouse guys about keeping these guys people friendly, and make sure my boss is OK with me having someone come out to trap them. (I dunno why she wouldn't be, but it seems polite to ask, LoL)

I don't...really...exist before 9am, so I will try to take a pic to post here, but I might forget. -_-