Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gull, You've brought the sun to me...

Gull, You've brought the sun to me...

Gosh it's been so long since I've been here. It's been a rough few years. My Mom had a massive stroke back in 2010, then 2 months later, I had to put Oz to sleep for lymphoma. My Mom passed away about 8 mos ago. So it's just been me and Gulliver for awhile now and he got me through it all. Bringing me toys when I was upset to cheer me up. I finally got my feet back under me this year and was starting to feel fairly good and then a couple of months ago, he woke me up in the middle of the night, all panicky. He was trying to stand, but his legs wouldn't support him. I held him up, so he could stand and he stopped panicking, but he really didn't seem aware I was there. It lasted about a minute, then he wagged his tail and trotted off to get a toy to play. It almost seemed like a seizure to me, but the vet thought it was a stroke. We didn't have anymore of those incidents, but I could tell he was slowly getting weaker. And then he had trouble working his legs correctly. He couldn't back up very well and he'd do this lil' stutter step, when he walked. In the back of my mind, I knew our time together was growing shorter.

Last week, I was cooking dinner and dropped some turkey meat on the floor. Called him to come get it. I heard all this commotion, but no Gull showed up. I ran to where he was and he couldn't get up. He was so upset. He peed and threw up all over himself. I tried to lift him up, but he couldn't help at all this time. I called a friend to come help me lift him into my Jeep, to get him to the vet. My vet wasn't there that day, so they tranquilized him and kept him over nite for observation. I went in the next morning to see Gull and consult with my vet. The tranquilizer had long since worn off, but Gull was so non-responsive, when I was talking to him and he still couldn't get up. He looked so miserable, so I made the decision to put him to sleep.

When I put Oz to sleep, I had all nite to basically say goodbye to him, before we went into the vet. Everything was so rushed with Gull, but I said the things I needed to (at warp speed, but I did get the chance to say them at least) and sang his favorite song to him ("Girl" by Davy Jones. With Davy's accent, Girl sounds a bit like Gull). He went peacefully, staring into my eyes. I know he's up in heaven now, playing with Oz and Murph and Maddie. I've no doubt, he's also sharing a laugh with my Mom about the time he drug her thru my flowerbed. And hopefully "Girl" is playing on a perpetual loop for him and he's barking and dancing his way through heaven, to his very own theme song. I know there's a whole lot more laughter in heaven now.

Here's a lil' tribute video I did to his favorite song:

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Gull.

Oh, Par, so sad to hear this. Rest in peace, Gull, happy and whole again and all the dropped turkey a pup could eat.

Sending hugs to you, and our sincerest condolences. We have missed you!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Robin and Karen! After things settle down, I will probably look into a Collie or Sheltie rescue. The house is a bit strange now. And quiet. It's the first time in 23 yrs, that I haven't had a dog in the house. I keep thinking I need to let somebody outside or fill up the food or water bowl. I walk into the house and have to stop myself from calling out for Gulliver. Hopefully when I'm ready, I'll be able to find another pupper, that's every bit as special as Gull. And Oz. And Murph. And Maddie. I've been very blessed, dog-wise. Anywho, when I do, I'll try and be a lil' more active on the board again.

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I am so sorry for the loss of Gullivar. So sorry to hear about your other losses too, so close together. Sounds like your life
    has been turned upside down for a while now. I remember when you used to post with pictures of Oz, Murph and Maddie too.
    I hope things start to turn around for you soon. Rest In Peace Gull, then join your fur sibs over the Rainbow Bridge.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am so sorry for your loss Par - thank you for sharing Gull with us one last time - my eyes are smiling through the tears. What a beautiful and happy boy!

I sincerely hope that when you are ready another dear, sweet, loving pupper comes your way.

Big hugs, Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Thanks Liz and Betty! He was really something special. Almost 2 weeks with no Gull. I'm not sure how non-dog people do it. Doesn't seem like a home without the pitter-patter of doggie paws. Gull had the cutest lil' snore too. Actually, I miss all the noise he made, even his barking. And nosing me in the morning to get up and bringing me toys. I get teary-eyed every morning, when I make my smoothie now, because he's not there for his bite of banana. Didn't matter what room he was in, as soon as I peeled the banana, he'd come running (how he could hear peeling, I have no idea).

Quote Originally Posted by ParNone View Post
    Thanks Liz and Betty! He was really something special. Almost 2 weeks with no Gull. I'm not sure how non-dog people do it. Doesn't seem like a home without the pitter-patter of doggie paws. Gull had the cutest lil' snore too. Actually, I miss all the noise he made, even his barking. And nosing me in the morning to get up and bringing me toys. I get teary-eyed every morning, when I make my smoothie now, because he's not there for his bite of banana. Didn't matter what room he was in, as soon as I peeled the banana, he'd come running (how he could hear peeling, I have no idea).
    Hee hee - I bet it was the smell of fresh banana that called him like a siren! Dogs' sense of smell is hundreds of times better than ours, after all, and that looooong Collie nose probably made it even better!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hee hee - I bet it was the smell of fresh banana that called him like a siren! Dogs' sense of smell is hundreds of times better than ours, after all, and that looooong Collie nose probably made it even better!
    Yeh that's true. It's funnier for me to think he could actually hear the peeling of the banana though. When I had Murph and Maddie, I was a new dog owner and was a bit anal about not giving them people food, cuz that's what all the books said. One of the few people snacks I would give them was pretzels though. They knew the difference between a regular potato chip bag and a pretzel bag. They'd only come running when I opened up a pretzel bag, which always amazed me, but I'm going to guess it was smell for them too.

The sharing of food with our babies has always intrigued me. My sheepdog had a very sensitive tummy and I had to cook her food and give her sterilized water. However, she would always sit by me at dinner and my habit for years was to save my "last bite" for her. After she passed, for a very long time, I could not eat my last bite of food ... I still sometimes think about it . It seems our hearts are never the same after sharing this much love with our precious ones.

Good news is that after a while, every time you eat a banana - there will be a smile on your face and the image of your beautiful boy sharing that moment with you.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Gull. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Blog Entries
    ParNone what a wonderful tribute to Gull. Gull was really a character her on earth & I bet heaven is rolling with laughter. I am sorry for your loss & I wish our dogs could all have longer lives because they touch our hearts & bring us so much joy in their short times here.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Par, my heart breaks to hear this news. Your two made me consider getting a collie. They were both so gorgeous. RIP Gull. You are surely missed.

Hugs to you, Par!!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm so sorry I remember Gull well and all your funny, adorable videos of your collie and cairn fur kids. The video I will never forget was the "toy from hell" video. All these years later and I still laugh when I think about it. You have a wonderful sense of humor and I can see all your canine friends shared that with you. Rest in peace, beautiful Gull. You were such a handsome, adorable boy and you will be so missed

Thanks Bengalz, krazyaboutkatzk, Bonny, ramanth and AdoreMyDogs for all the kind words about Gull. I got some doggie therapy yesterday. Spent the afternoon at a friend's, who has 2 Goldens and a Chi Mix. I threw the ball, until my arm was sore. I had to make'em take a break, for my arm's sake. lol Retrievers amaze me. Oz and Gull would have been good to fetch for about 5-10 mins, tops.