Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alberta's turn to get flooded...

Alberta's turn to get flooded...

Kevan Yaets swims after his cat, Momo, as the flood waters sweep him downstream and submerge the cab of his truck in High River, Alta. (Jordan Verlage/Canadian Press)

We in Cochrane are ok....towns near us are being evacuated. Canmore, 45 minutes down the highway, just had their river completely cover the highway (Hwy 1, the main east-west route). They are trapped until the water settles down.

Lots of flood pics here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...y-plan-ch.html
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My mom's in Sundre, at the top of a hill so she's ok. Low areas being evacuated. Bridge into town closed due to high water. My friend Daryn and his family are in High River, as the entire town has been evacuated I assume they are out of their home.

Prayers for everyone. Stay safe. Belongings can be replaced. You can't!!!!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Oh, my God!

Prayers for safety for all affected by these floods.

Last edited by phesina; 06-21-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Just to add - I couldn't post the picture, but there is one of that man and his cat and two rescue workers coming out of the river to safety. Many kennels in Calgary and around here are posting that they will help with evacuated animals.

Aw, thank goodness kitty knew to swim! You'll all be in our prayers. Friends in Indiana said they could use some of that rain ... if only we could redirect it!
    I've Been Frosted

Gosh, many folks here would LOVE to send it to Indiana! I don't think it will listen to reason, though....

Calgary is flooding and flooding badly. People need to stay home, stay off the roads. And for goodness sake stay away from the rivers, the ground is unstable. Getting the photo is not worth your life!
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    Calgary is flooding and flooding badly. People need to stay home, stay off the roads. And for goodness sake stay away from the rivers, the ground is unstable. Getting the photo is not worth your life!
    Amen!

Can't seem to delete the attachment.

High River, just south of Calgary:

Calgary

Kevan and Momo the cat are safe. That cat sure can swim!

High River

Attached Images Attached Images  

There was a scene on the news this morning showing what looked like a house being swept along by the flood under a bridge with the roof being torn off.

How awful. Please stay safe, Albertans!

Last edited by phesina; 06-21-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Worst thing is it continues to rain.

Oh, Q of P. I know how that goes. I wish you could send the rain to the Chicago area. Even though it has been very rainy this spring, we are still behind because last year was so dry. Please be safe. (((HUGS)))
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Found this pic of the flooding on twitter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, that's a lot of water. Is the flooding mostly in business areas or neighborhoods?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

lizbud - all of downtown Calgary is flooded. Many neighbourhoods near the river were evacuated - about 22 of them last time I heard.

Towns near Calgary are affected - Canmore and High River are in horrid condition; Bragg Creek is full of water and with nearby Redwood Meadows is still under a mandatory evacuation.

In my town there have been voluntary evac notices, but so far so good.

The rain is stopping here, thank goodness.