Thread: An update on Sterling

An update on Sterling

Sterling's nasty looking tumor has been bleeding/draining lately. Since that means a mess around the house we have been trying to keep it covered. Not an easy task due to its location high on his shoulder. A bandage alone would need to wrap around his whole torso, and criss cross underneath to stay on. Would not stay on.

Then we tried using less bandaging and covered it with a doll t-shirt. (see photo. the red you see is the color of the vet wrap bandage). This only worked for a day or so. He licked at it until it was soaked through and the bandaging underneathe moved off the sore.

Now we have beed using a diaper in an unconventional way. Cut leg holes in the thick part of the diaper, wrap in up and around his shoulders over his back and fasten with duct tape (silver in the photo below). Wokrs OK, but he kicks at it until it shreds.

He is getting thinner, even though he does eat. You can tell his "condition" is less than average. He seems to be isolating himself....he used to always lay in a pile of other cats on our bed, sofa or recliner, now you find him alone in one of the cardboard boxes we leave around for the cats, up on the highest cabinet or buried behind where we hang our coats.

So, while he seems too "healthy" to euthanize, he is far from feeling well enought to be the Sterling I used to know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diaper wrap 2.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	56539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diaper wrap 1.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	56540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sterling with tshirt.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	56541  

Aww, thanks for persisting until you found a solution that works!
    I've Been Frosted

Hopefully this last solution will continue to work well. I hope that Sterling can remain as comfortable as possible. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and to Sterling and you, Jen.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Jen, you've been very inventive, and I hope this last thing works - and I also hope it's not too hot, because then it might be uncomfortable for him. Give him lots of loving and keep him comfortable - that's the best you can do.

Please give him some kisses from me. (((hugs))) to you.

How old is Sterling now?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

That sadly is not a good sign Jen, as Sterling may be trying to hide from the pain.
    That is how My Vet described it when My Moose stared to hide in the cellar.
    We are all praying for Sterilng and we know that Y.Lee and Lucas Angels are there for their Friend.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Sterling is 13 years old.

I was just thinking about how this tumor is located right where he gets his vaccinations. Just like the tumor that Rutherford got, Rutherford's never got this big, but it was believed to be caused by vaccinations.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but it is something to consider.

I am sorry that your baby is suffering

He looks cute with the doll shirt on.
    Can you put a piece of tape or one of those big band aids
    on the outside of the shirt so when he licks it the saliva cant penetrate it??
    just a though..

I must say, I am getting quite good at putting the make-shift cat vest on. I learn a new 'TRICK' every day. And he is being so good at letting me do it.