Thread: Cat Dandruf- Essential 6 Oil ?

Cat Dandruf- Essential 6 Oil ?

Hi all
    My 4yo Burmese has a light dry skin condition around tail and neck and its spreading - no sores or bald patches (yet!)
    I used one dose of a product for cat skin care - "Essential 6 spot on" cat skin care and the poor cat was quite distressed - constantly licking herself all over her for several hours and unable to settle. It was like an allergic reaction. This morning she is ok but Im interested to know if anyone had the same experience. She will need weekly doses for 8 weeks (so the instruction brochure says). I dont want to see her have the same reaction each time I give her a dose. I would value anyone's thoughts/experiences on this product.
    Oh, and I feed her Science Diet dry food and two Vit amin D oil caps every second day
    Thanks Chris

I would absolutely not give her any more of the product. It does sound like an allergic reaction, and if it is, the next dose will be even worse. It sounds in fact like it may be an allergy to something she's already ingesting - try a simpler food (fewer ingredients) . I just looked at the ingredient list for Science Diet Indoor Dry - just one picked among all they have. It starts with
    "Chicken, Whole Grain Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Powdered Cellulose, Pea Bran Meal, "

Cats do not need grain like wheat or corn - and these are the second and third ingredients in the list!

I'd transition her to a simpler food, maybe a grain-free one, even a wet food and see if that helps her skin. Do not use any more of that product on her until you try the new food for a few weeks, okay? In fact, keep the receipt, you may be able to get a refund if it turns out you don;t need it!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! And bless you for not waiting until there are actually bald spots, for catching this early!
    I've Been Frosted