Thread: Half Marathon tomorrow!

Half Marathon tomorrow!

In my town there is an annual event called Footstock. http://www.footstock.ca/

My chiropractors were so impressed with my weight loss and all the walking I do that they sponsored me this year. I am walking the half-marathon. 21K, about 12 miles.

I am 56 (almost 57) and am doing my first half marathon ever! I am so glad for the support of the chiro folks and my mom is even excited.

Will post tomorrow afternoon...if I can lift my head up!

We start at 8:00 a.m. MST.

I am stoked!

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

WTG Candace!!!! You shouldn't have any issues with 21K. I am betting you can do it in about 4-5 hours depending how fast you walk. YOU GO GIRL!!!! WOOT WOOT

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Go, Candace! I'm cheering for you from rainy, cloudy Chicagoland
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Dood luck, at least you are a musician at heart, so can sing songs to keep the feet moving if you need to!
    I've Been Frosted

That's fantastic, Candace! You go, girl!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Happy walking Candace. You can do it and you're going to feel great after!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

This is wonderful Candace. You GO!!! Cheering for you, you can do it.

WHEW!

Home again - just as the thunder and rain start. The weather for all races this morning was perfect!

The half marathon is 21.1 k which is 13 miles. I did it mostly walking, with a jog here and there. They put HILLS on the route! We live in the foothills, so that makes sense!

My time was 3 hours 15 minutes and 31 seconds. Not counting the seconds, that is an average speed of 4mph, which is how fast people walk, apparently.

The chiropractors that sponsored me had a place set up where walkers/runners could sign up for a free adjustment or massage. I did both! The massage was great for unlocking my hips and thighs. I was walking more normally after that!

I'll post pics when I have them.

Folks, I'll be 57 in July. I have been walking 3 hours a week with the walking group since April of 2012. I began working the program of a recovery group to deal with my eating addiction last June. I am some 47 lbs down and just did my FIRST HALF MARATHON!

I ROCK!!!!

Wow, I am very impressed with your exercise program & run/walk you did today. You have every reason to
    be proud of yourself. You do Rock.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Congrats Candace!!!!!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Dear Candace, CONGRATULATIONS on this spectacular accomplishment! What an achievement!

And what deep commitment you had to start your recovery/training program more than a year ago and stay with it.

You deserve absolutely to be PROUD AS CAN BE of yourself!

Rock on, Candace...

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

That is awesome! Great time, too.

So many people do this sort of thing - but since it was my first, it was special. There is always time to have a happy childhood!

Results page: I am #139. I was far from last! I just can't BELIEVE that! http://www.sportstats.ca/displayResu...acecode=104871

There were some younger folks running with the iPods plugged in. That works wonderfully.

I wonder if they noticed
    the chittering squirrels, the crrrrick of that frog, the birdsongs that prettily splashed the air;
    the musky sweet smell of the blooming wolfwillow,
    the lilacs bursting
    the rolling tumbling rushing of the creeks and river
    new flowers blooming

On the advice of Aaron, one of the chiropractic team who was sponsoring me, I had a heavier carb meal the night before. Had to think about that, being Miss High Protein! I measured out a double helping of whole wheat fettucine. When it was done, I drained almost all the water then stirred in a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup! THAT did it! Brekkie two pieces of whole wheat toast with butter and peanut butter AND a protein shake.

After the race - bless the snack stand! Banana, bag of salt and vinegar chips, muffin, and the free pancake breakfast a little while later complete with two small containers of syrup and two sausage patties. Not until after that did I lose the feeling that carbs were evaporating as soon as they were in my tummy!

Free chiro adjustment and massage for all runners afterwards. Thank goodness!!! The adjustment was great. The massage released enough muscles so that my legs felt like legs again, not like a pair of stiff broomsticks!

The amount of work that goes into this two day event - volunteers TOTALLY ROCK!!!! Runners would have nothing to rock here without them! From getting all the little ziplock bags and putting 4 safety pins in each (to pin our number tags to our clothing) for up to 900 people (4 different events) on Saturday alone. The Activettes handing the food and drink. The folks doing the breakfast - all men. The ATCO utilities trailer inside the sports arena which opened into a stage with a wonderful band!

When I went home I took in a bunch more fluids and put my feet up. Oscar was first on the lap; he left and then Zoe joined me squirming like the wriggly piglet she is until she settled down. Cole jumped on the couch for some attention (he's not a lap cat). After a bit I had a very warm bath, dinner, and went to bed about 9:30.

Hips a bit sore today. Toes feel better - maybe I can wear real shoes again?

What an amazing day.

God bless, Candace!

Glad the kitties gave you such fine home nursing when you got back after the race.

Death thought about it.