Thread: Am I being irrational???

Am I being irrational???

Hi,

Okay. maybe I am being a bit irrational about this....

When I got Snowy 8 months ago, he was very, very sick, very thin, so for about 2 months, he couldn't go anywhere (it was winter anyway in NJ) until he was better.

But the thing is, I don't take him anywhere with me because I am afraid that he may get frightened of people, other dogs, get sick etc. My family is always home with him when I am at work, so he has never even been alone before!

I want him to be socialized, so how can I start out slow with him?

I know I sound crazy!

Thanks,

Jordan

Hi Jordan. I have posed your question to some of my rescue experts on another site. I just don't have the experience they do. I'll report back as soon as I get some responses. I think the main thing is to take it slowly with Snowey, maybe one dog or person at a time, get accustomed to walking on the leash, praise, praise, praise and reassure. I'll bet it will be easier than you think. But I'll share whatever responses I get.

Good luck!
    Logan

Snowy's Mommy,

I have been volunteering with the Humane Society for about 3 years now and one of the things I do is help socialize the dogs. This gives them a taste of how things will be when they have their own home. Snowy has been fortunate enough and has been given a wonderful home. He has already been exposed to people (members of your family).
    I do not know what breed Snowy is, but here are a few tips that may help you out a bit.
    First and foremost, you need to make sure that Snowy is comfortable around other people who are not members of the family. Invite a friend over and tell him/her that you are tyring to socialize Snowy. See how Snowy reacts to them. Another good way to expose him to "the world" is to take him for a ride. Let him see and watch him react. Then you might want to take him on a walk in an area where there are people (no dogs this time). Next step is exposing him to other dogs. If Snowy is too big for you to handle (in case he decided to chase the other dog), ask someone who has the physical strenght to help. Take him out on a leash with another dog of his own size or perhaps smaller. It is OK for him to bark. That's how dogs talk to eachother. A good sign to look for is wagging of the tail. If you have a fenced in yard, try to let Snowy and a doggy friend play together (no leashes this time). Don't forget to reward Snowy when he does well. Do not reward him if he attacks anyone or is afraid. This will tell Snowy that it is OK to attack or be afraid.
    Hope this helped.

Thank you both for your responses, I greatly appreciate them!

Logan, please let me know what your friends say!

Souraya, what you said makes perfect sense--especially taking him for rides in the car. Unfortunately, the only time he has been in the car was to go to the vet (about 8 times in two months), so I can understand his apprehension.

He is a Cairn Terrier and he is small, 10 lbs (he was under 6 when we rescued him). We have another dog, a Pekingese, that he plays wirh in the yard alot,so that is good. He is actually the Alpha, although we have had Poo Poo for 6 months before we got Snowy.

But when my friends come over, he loves some of them, but with others he does not stop barking and he gets himself all upset over it.....which in turn, is very hard for visitors as well (although Snowy's well-being of course is my primary concern).

Do you know how I should tell my friends to react to him? Should they maybe go down to his level, give him a treaty (we call them treatys!), etc.?

Thanks,

Jordan

If Snowy barks at certain visitors, ask them to kneel down to his level and try to pet him. Remember to tell them to extend their hand with the palm downward or else Snowy may think they are trying to hurt him. A treat also helps. But if Snowy continues to bark at them, just ask them to leave him a lone and put Snowy in another room. This will teach him that he can not "hang out" if he is going to act like that. Make sure your guests do not force themselves on Snowy and try to pet or play with him without his consent. Snowy may snap and bite them. I have seen it happen many times. This upsets everyone, you, Snowy, and your visitors.
    About the car. 10 lbs. is small enough for you to carry him and put him in the car. Take him to the park or somewhere you think he will like (lake, stream, a trail where you can both walk together) or even for a ride. Be sure to give him a treat if he is quiet int the car and well behaved, and treat him when you get home. After a couple of times, he will no longer associate the car with the vet!
    Good luck!

It is interesting that he likes some visitors and not others - try to fathom that one out! It could be a man/ woman thing, do the people he likes have dogs, cats, other animals or are they the ones he hates? It may be tall people he dislikes, short, chubby, smelly (by that I mean people who wear a lot of perfumed products, so don't tell anyone that your dog doesn't like them 'cause they are smelly - and if you do don't tell them that was my idea!!!!!!!) people with facial hair, wearing coats or hats. Anything can be the trigger but if you can find it then it is a huge help to overcome it.

Try to feed the dog in the car if he is nervous of it.

Have you actually tried to take the dog out of the house or are you worried about what might happen?

Snowy's Mom, that sounds like the problem that I have with Daisy and Perry (both Schnauzers) They like certain people, one Grandson, they love kisses and all, the other two they bark at and go crazy. I think it's when the two were younger they would scream and jump around and got the dogs excited. If anyone comes around that they don't know, they bark and bark. I think Carrie and Souraya's advice is excellent.
    We take them out riding quite often to get them used to seeing people and dogs and they are doing better. Good luck, as Carrie says if you have a Schnauzer or most likely any Terrier you either love them or leave them.

Jordan,
    Here is Part 1 of the response...from the lady who I was hoping would respond. She came back with another little bit, so I'll put that in the second message.

Not a whole lot of info in this post.....but here is what I would recommend.

. I assume the puppy or dog has been "subjected" to other dogs via vet. visits...if it was a sickly dog! ask the author: What reaction did her dog have with other dogs in the waiting room??? Was it "happy" to see them....or upset. If happy...then she should go to a local park, for short visits....and let the dog get use to "sounds of children" at the park...."dogs" at the park....as well as socialization of "humans" at the park.

I would also recommend...short rides in the car....take the pup out of the car...and walk along the sidewalk of a strip mall. Again, giving the pup the opportunity to yet experience many different situtions...doors opening and closing into shops...folks walking on the sidewalks...

Does the dog have any "obedience training"....will it sit/stay, down and come. If not...work on those things so that should an event come up....you have some control over the pup! And here too, a good puppy class might be very beneficial .....giving the dog "socialization" skills...and seeing a range of different type dogs...small and large.

Incorporate the dog on family visits....let the dog get use to going to someone's home. Even if the first visit is "hectic"...which it will be...for they need to "explore" everything in the new surrounding. But the more you take them; and reward them with a treat...the more socialized the pup will be....under any condition.

So....It is time for Jordan to step up to the plate....put his fears behind him....and now "introduce" the pup to all these "noises, sounds, and different people...young and old"....

Short visits to any of these elements is the key....and even if the pup seems "anxious"....expect that....but do it everyday...and the pup will get "use to" it all...and absolutely love going "places"...seeing "things"....and having fun!!!

Ok...that is my advise to your Pet Talk question...

Here's Part 2

also one other thing!

Depending on the area the author lives in....but if not "rural"....but in a neighborhood....

Just plain ole ....sit outside with the dog everyday....and let him get use to all the "happenings" in his area....Mailman....delivery people....kids riding a bike....neighbors coming in and out of their driveways....etc. etc. etc...

Great way to start.....and if there is someone else on the block who has a dog....see if you can make a date to "walk" with them....and Fido will become acquainted with another dog...and benefit from the exercise of the walk....

Dear Jackie, Logan, Carrie and Souraya,

Your responses have helped incredibly.

I have 2 days off of work this week which I am going to spend trying to acclimate my Furry Son into the world....one day I am going to take him to the park walking and another we will try to go to PetSmart for presents. Lots of treatys with me for reward too!

I think maybe my own fears of something happening to him have stopped his progress, which makes me sad. He is just so precious to me....

Carrie, I think you are right about if certain people have pets, wear perfume, etc., he barks. And certain people he will wag his tail at like crazy and roll over for tickles. I just realized that the people that he does not like haven't really taken the time to try to pet him the correct way, so I will educate them on this.

Sorry to go on so long, but it's so nice to know that there are other people out there that think of their dogs as little children, not just as a "dog", if you know what I mean.

Thank you again.

Jordan