Thread: Help, my dog won't go outside.

Help, my dog won't go outside.

We have a 1 1/2 lab mix that we rescued. She is afraid of loud noises mainly from trucks, we live right next to an expressway, so lots of trucks around. In the last 3-4 days she will not walk outside. We have to carry her to the door she will walk out once the leash is on but start shaking and try to run back inside. She will only stay out if she needs to eliminate but then try's to run right inside. Up to this point she LOVED going for walks but now it seams like she's just wants to stay indoors. She'll run around the apartment and play with us inside just very scared, distracted & overwhelmed outside.

Okay, you need to hall her realize that outside is a good place. Keep treats in your pocket, and when you bring her outside, keep her on a leash (so she feels linked to you, and reward her when she does her business, then linger and do simple commands ... build up the time every day, and above all, praise, praise, praise! If you can walk her early or late when trucks are not as present, that might help, too!
    I've Been Frosted

Re

I agree with the previous comment! Keep treats on you and slowly coach her outside. She will get used to the noise eventually, just like humans have to! But for now, I would make her go outside when they expressway isn't as loud. Distraction is the key! Anything that will keep her focused on what YOU have instead of the trucks. Try using squeekers, clickers, praise is always a good distraction as well. Hope this helps! Good luck.

Thanks for the input, we walk her very early.. Not alot of trucks but there is foot traffic and she's afrad of men (except me). She's not food driven I've tried the treats so that hasn't worked. Even when she try's to pull us home ill stop she will try clawing away when she realizes I'm not gonna move she'll sit, ill then walk up to her and pet/talk to her letting feel and see me so she doesn't think she's alone but that's hasn't helped either.

What does motivate her? For some dogs, a squeaky toy is better than any food, others just the sight of a tennis ball is thrilling, one bounce and the rest of the world disappears ...
    I've Been Frosted

Dog Care

My dogs used to all enjoy going outside, and for whatever reason they nearly .This is a discussion on Dogs won't go outside anymore within the Dog Behavior forums, part of It really helps them to cope with the separation.My dog has always loved going to walks, but lately he seems disinterested in going. I've had to pull him out of the door to go for a dog walk and then he'll sit .