Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Vet!

Ask a Vet!

Anyone have any questions for the vets on the radio show this week? As always I'll need them before 2 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, so ask away! Sorry so last-minute!
    I've Been Frosted

Just the insulin question I posted before. Unless you asked it last week and I missed it. Thanks!

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Thanks, I will ask it - we didn't do the Ask the Vets show last week, so I'll ask it this time!
    I've Been Frosted

So Moesha, I will email you the audio files when I get them, but Doc. Carol made it clear that she would never, ever give any pet or animal you care about Vetsulin. Too many lawsuits, deaths, illnesses and issues, and it is pig derived insulin, so very old technology.

Newer insulins, and much safer ones, are DNA based, and she'd recommend those. You can buy human-grade insulin very cheap at Wal*mart or Wal Greens, she gives specifics, but there are less expensive ways that are NOT Vetsulin one can do it!
    I've Been Frosted

Ok, thank you very much. We are having to buy insulin again next week, so I will look forward to getting the audio files.

I actually got them and emailed them to you already! If anyone else is interested, let me know!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you. I was out of town this weekend and just got back and listened to the audio file. I forwarded it to my mom and to my friend who also has a diabetic kitty.

Yes, anyone with a diabetic kitty who takes insulin should hear it!
    I've Been Frosted

Okay, anyone with any questions for this week? The show starts recording at 2 on Thursday, so before then, any questions are welcome! It will be Dr. Kathy this week instead of Dr. Carol, and she has horse experience, and does a lot of nutritional work with patients. Dr. Don from Florida will also be there.
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, did you ever ask them why canned food would make a cat have loose stools or diarrhea? I can't feed Alani or Blaze any kind of canned food or else it causes them to have these problems. They did have giardia as kittens before I adopted them so I don't know if this did something to their internal organs or not. They are currently eating Merrick's Before Grain Salmon flavor and also the Chicken flavor without any problems. I also give them chicken broth at night. If they eat grain free dry food that is too high in protein, this will also cause them to have loose stools or diarrhea.

I will ask about that. We kind of discussed it loosely before, but this will have one different vet on, might you want to call in so you can explain the whole situation?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I will ask about that. We kind of discussed it loosely before, but this will have one different vet on, might you want to call in so you can explain the whole situation?
    What time is the show? Remember I'm 3 hours behind you.

The show is at 2 p.m. Eastern, so 11 a.m. your time ...

And folks, we will have one veterinarian and one behaviorist this week, so behavior questions are also welcome this time!
    I've Been Frosted

What is the best holistic food for my pit/lab? I was thinking about Blue but I read you should ask a vet to see what is best for the breed. Also if they know what would be the best percentages (protein, fat, fiber) to make a rat food mix. I work at that time. Is there a way I can still listen later?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The show is at 2 p.m. Eastern, so 11 a.m. your time ...

And folks, we will have one veterinarian and one behaviorist this week, so behavior questions are also welcome this time!
    Well I leave to go to work by 11am so I wouldn't be able to call in.

Here's a behavioral question. Why does my cat Alani love to chew up cardboard or any other paper product? He did this when he was a kitten and he'll still do it. He's 3 years old now.