Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Place Is Safe These Days

Quote Originally Posted by popcornbird View Post
    Thefts have been increasing. Don't know what jerks think they gain by invading the privacy of others and stealing.
    I'm not excusing the behavior whatsoever, but with real unemployment in double digits and many jobs paying minimum wage and few benefits, I can think of a few things they could gain:

Food

Rent money

basic living needs

Medicine...

It's the wrong way to do it, but when push comes to shove, thigns happen.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Best wishes, Tracey. I sure hope they catch whoever did these things. As long as they're still out there, this could happen again.

Those are good ideas for increasing your security, the dead bolt for the door and the wooden board by the sliding glass door.

Is there a condo association that hired these workers, or was it an individual owner? Could the association put pressure on the owner to be there to let the workers in, not just allow them to prop the door open?

Sending along all our good wishes and positive energies that you and your kitties stay safe, KAK.

Thanks. No, it was an individual owner that hired the workers. In the past doors have been propped open when people were moving or work was being done on certain units and there's never been a problem. All of our buildings had new carpet installed in the hall ways and all of the walls and doors were also repainted earlier this year without any problems. They also repainted our front doors but we were home when this was being done. I sure hope that nothing more will happen. Thanks again everyone for all of the good vibes and wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I'm not excusing the behavior whatsoever, but with real unemployment in double digits and many jobs paying minimum wage and few benefits, I can think of a few things they could gain:

Food

Rent money

basic living needs

Medicine...

It's the wrong way to do it, but when push comes to shove, thigns happen.
    While this is really true, I do think there are people that steal just to make a profit and make a living off it and making EXTRA money off it.

A girl I knew but wasn't close to in High School was involved in robbing several condos in the area. We wondered where she always got all the money she had because she never had a job! I guess that was her job. She got caught, that's how we all found out. She definitely didn't need it for living expenses. She lived with her parents in a nice house in our area.

Update

Last night I noticed that another flyer was taped to the front door of my building. It said that they are adding more security for the complex which starts immediately. It also said to never allow any one to follow you through the doors inside the building. I know that I've been guilty of this and others ahead of me have also let me in. I'm usually carrying packages though so they know that I live in the building.