I have been really torn up about this and haven't been able to bring myself to write up a proper memorial, but I know you guys should know that Ethan lost his battle with the illnesses he has been fighting for over 1 1/2 months. Here is what I posted on facebook on monday morning...

Just before 11:40 last night Ethan passed away. He fought a good, long fight for over a month and a half against an illness that simply ended up being too much for him. A lot of people have questioned if a dog is worth all the money and all the sleepless nights. Now that its all over, I can safely say I have no regrets. I know we did everything we could for him and exhausted our efforts to try to get him well again. Yesterday he finally got that look in his eyes that I had been dreading to see. He had just had enough and his body couldn't fight it any more. He was tired and I had made the decision to have him put to sleep the next morning. He went suddenly in the middle of the night, but I was right by his side like I have been for the past 8 1/2 years. He passed away in the comfort of our home and he wasn't alone, and that means a lot to me. I know a lot of people don't comprehend the love I have for this dog. Its something I just can't explain. He came to us a frightened, broken dog. We taught him how to be loved, that not every person is going to abuse him. Before we adopted him, so many people had given up on him... but we just couldn't. I think he knew that and he became one of the most loyal dogs. He was difficult at times, but I wouldn't trade a single second of my time with him for the world. I am so lucky to have had such a great dog in my life that taught me so much. Things just won't be the same without him.

11/14/2003 - 5/26/2013
Weeks ago an xray showed calcification around his aorta, and it was only a matter of time. We let the dogs say goodbye to him after he passed. The difference in their reactions was pretty shocking. Sala walked right past his body then went to mom's room to play with her toys. She is seemingly unaffected by his passing. Towser, on the other hand, layed on the blanket with his body and licked his nose once like a final goodbye. When we wrapped Ethan up Towser kept crying and sniffing the blanket. He misses his buddy so much, but is starting to adjust.

I want to write a better memorial when I find the right words. I miss this dog so much, I feel like I have lost my best friend, but I know he is no longer in pain. He is with Frisk and dad and I am the luckiest person to have been blessed with 8 1/2 years with this dog.

Rest easy, Ethan. I love you.