View Poll Results: my dog hides under the sofa or bed...

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • is it b/c he's sick?

2 100.00%
  • is he in pain?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: My dog hides under the sofa or bed.

From Indiana, but now living in Columbia, TN. which is approx.50 miles South of Nashville.

Angry My dog hides under the sofa or bed.

My male, neutered, mixed breed dog has been diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. He is 9 years old and the love of my life. I found him on the street 8 1/2 years ago. He has always had a tendency to hide under the bed or sofa during storms or firecrackers. Since his diagnosis he spends even more time hiding. He shows no signs of pain. He eats well, still plays and his brown eyes still sparkle. I am trying not to be emotional b/c I know he will pick up on that. My concern and worry is that his illness is making him hide more...even though he shows no signs of pain. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help ease my mind? Has anyone out there gone through anything like this? Thank you Peanut10

He is likely hiding when he wants to rest because of the instinct animals have. When they feel vulnerable or weak, they tend to hide so predators will not pick up on that. So it is natural. So sorry to hear his cancer diagnosis. Give him a kiss from us, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

From Indiana, but now living in Columbia, TN. which is approx.50 miles South of Nashville.

Thumbs up Hiding

Thank you for your response. It was very helpful. I will gladly give BD Boy (Black Dog) a kiss from everyone! He's doing quite well this morning...slept soundly and had his breakfast. It's going to be a hot day here in Tennessee...will have to watch him closely to make sure he doesn't get over heated. He's such a sweet little guy. Very mild personality, loves to play...even now with the cancer. Thanks again. Peanut10:

Aww, thanks. Any pictures of him?
    I've Been Frosted

I'm so sorry your boy is sick! He is probably hiding more often because he needs more rest and, like Karen said, feels vulnerable out in the open. Or maybe somehow his ears are more sensitive.
    And I'd love to see pics, too
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Red face BD Boy

I'd love to show you a picture but I don't know how to get pics from my camera to the computer. I'm technologically deficient! Question...what does I've been frosted mean? I'm new to all this so I'm kind of fumbling my way around. Thank you everyone. Peanut10

"I've been frosted" is just part of a little game that floats around forums, usually in the fall!
    I've Been Frosted

BD Boy hides under the sofa and bed

Dear all. I took my boy to the vet yesterday for a check up. I told the vet how BD is spending more time hiding. He said that since BD is fighting off cancer his little body gets tired easily and he needs the rest. He said he was not surprised by BD's behavior...he would expect that BD would do that. Lymph nodes are clear, lungs sound fine, tumor has not started to grow back. He has gained weight so I was told to cut back on his kibble and add veggies instead. He suggested green beans or peas but to rinse them first to remove the sodium. I gave all 4 dogs dinner with green beans and they loved it. I was concerned b/c BD had not moved his bowels in maybe 3 days. He told me to give him mineral oil. I wondered about dark kayro syrup. Vet said he uses that for puppies. Will give him several cc's this morning and we should have results fairly soon. I feel better now. Everyone who left replies were pretty much right on. You guys rock! Thankyou.Peanut10