Thread: Clicker training for cats: Has anyone ever tried that? (update #10)

Clicker training for cats: Has anyone ever tried that? (update #10)

I heard about that a lot lately, obviously it has a very positive effect on cats. Now I'm thinking about trying this with Lily because I think one of the reasons she's bullying Luna is that she is bored and unchallenged. Lily is a smart girl, and maybe she would enjoy learning something new. However, I have no idea how to start. lol There are several books on the market and I think I will order one of those. Hope Lily will like the training.
    Last edited by Kirsten; 05-30-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Sure it works with cats as well as dogs! I find clicker training quite easy. The thing with a cat will be finding the high value treat to reward with. Something the cat never normally gets, it is just used for training and it is irresistible to kitty. Maybe some fish? Canned or cooked. You'd just need a little each time.

The way it works: you mark the behavior you want with a click and then immediately follow up with a high value treat. The idea is, that it is easier and quicker for the human to CLICK than it is to get the treat to the pet, praise the pet, pat, etc. You something to quickly and clearly indicate THAT is what I want you to do! Start with something easy to introduce the sound so kitty learns to connect the sound with what she is doing and a reward.

I've known cats trained to shake - one cat would jump up on a table next to the front door at the sound of the doorbell, and as visitors entered, kitty would hold up a paw. Visitors were instructed to shake and say hello prior to meeting with the humans, lol. That is more advanced and you train that in stages. So there is plenty you can do with a cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Sure it works with cats as well as dogs! I find clicker training quite easy. The thing with a cat will be finding the high value treat to reward with. Something the cat never normally gets, it is just used for training and it is irresistible to kitty. Maybe some fish? Canned or cooked. You'd just need a little each time.

The way it works: you mark the behavior you want with a click and then immediately follow up with a high value treat. The idea is, that it is easier and quicker for the human to CLICK than it is to get the treat to the pet, praise the pet, pat, etc. You something to quickly and clearly indicate THAT is what I want you to do! Start with something easy to introduce the sound so kitty learns to connect the sound with what she is doing and a reward.

I've known cats trained to shake - one cat would jump up on a table next to the front door at the sound of the doorbell, and as visitors entered, kitty would hold up a paw. Visitors were instructed to shake and say hello prior to meeting with the humans, lol. That is more advanced and you train that in stages. So there is plenty you can do with a cat!
    Interesting! I agree it would be hard to find such a treat, especially when your cat is on a diet! Another thing is, Lily always comes running when I grab for a treat, she knows the sound of the treat box, etc. I hope the instructions in the books will help me with that. Anyway, I think I will give it a try.

Perhaps you can find the books at the library?

Also, search on youtube!

I can see me clicking away at My Cats while they make circling motions with their paws at their head.
    Hes gone batty , even more than normal they sigh.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I went to our local pet store today, hoping to find a clicker and a book with instructions, but they were sold out. Now I've ordered them on amazon, should be here in a few days... I'll keep you updated. :-)

Hopefully it ill work for you! The best cat training book I read said the reason most people think cats are not trainable is cats are far more patient than people are. A cat will sit and watch a mouse-hole for hours, for example. So the biggest challenge in cat training is to out-stubborn your cat!
    I've Been Frosted

Ha! i am sure you also saw the pet magazine on Vox TV ( not related to Fox) with that lady Birga Dexel who helps owners with cat problems. I see it every saturday and in many of her stories the cat is underplayed. Like that little boy who kept chasing his older sister so much that she had taken to living under the bed. Or those two black guys who really shred the apartment to pieces ( including opening and raiding the fridge) when their purrson was at work.
    I was also thinking of starting with clicker training but I may be too lazy However do you remember Faramir, the Swiss Aby kitty who was also a friend of Randy's ( Mango's dad). Faramir did the most amazing tricks like balancing on a ball and giving his little paw. I think he also got clicker training. It might help Orion who right now sits under the sofa because he does not want me to write but to play. I am fairly sure Birga has videos on youtube about clicker and Faramir may as well.

The more food motivated the cat, the easier they are to train. My Franklin LOVES treats so it was fairly easy to train him to do a few things on command. He knows "sit", "up" (sits on his haunches and reaches up with one paw), "turn" and "give me five". However, I didn't use a clicker so I'm finding it hard to train him to do more complicated things. I think I'll pick one up and give it a try. Maybe we could compare notes....
    One thing I can suggest: break the treats up into smaller pieces. Good luck!
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

Well, the book arrived yesterday, so I had the chance to read a bit and learn some of the lessons before the clicker arrived. Today, I had it in the mail and was really excited but - both of my girls fear the sound!

At first, Lily was interested in the target stick, touched it with her nose which the book suggested to do in the first lesson, but it's really obvious she doesn't like the sound. Later, Luna showed up to see what we were doing, but she even jumped back in fear when she heard the click. She fears the target stick also but that is not surprise because she fears long objects like sticks in general.

Barbara, yes, of course I saw Birga Dexel's shows on Vox and I was really impressed what clicker training did for other cats, and how many problems it solved. And when I talked to my sister, who was also watching the shows on Vox, she suggested to try this with Lily because she thought she might chase Luna because she was bored. Anyway, looks like this is no option for my girls, I'm really disappointed.

However, I can understand they're afraid of the sound. Even for my ears, it's uncomfortable. And I ordered one that was said to be suitable for cats as the click sound wasn't as loud as in most clickers. Weird.

But maybe you can muffle the sound so it isn't as loud, and get them accustomed to it! All part of training - desensitize! As for muffling it, try just wrapping it and old sock or something!
    I've Been Frosted

Okay, I will try that. And maybe I really need to watch some of those youtube videos first, maybe the ones of Faramir Barbara has suggested.

How about one click while giving a treat? Maybe that way they will come to associate the click with something they like...
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

Quote Originally Posted by dehlers43 View Post
    How about one click while giving a treat? Maybe that way they will come to associate the click with something they like...
    I already tried that, and I think I will do that for a while so they may get used to the sound...

Kinda thought you would have tried it already....in my very limited cat-training experience, the kitties work to their own schedule....lol I taught Franklin afew simple tricks and he taught me patience!
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"