Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smokey has gone to be with Phred!

Smokey has gone to be with Phred!

Smokey died this morning at 2:00 am. He got sick with what we thought was a stomach ailment on Friday evening and had not be able to keep food or water down. We called the vet tonight because he was having trouble walking and though we thought it was because he as weak from not eating we wanted to talk to the vet. Our vet has combined with another vet who has a small practice by himself in a small town south of us but which still makes it about a 15 mile trip. And of course every time one of our dogs need help on the weekend, he is the one on call. He is excellent but I just hate having to take the dogs down there and especially tonight since Smokey started to fail so quickly. That was about 9:00 when I talked to him and we decided to wait until morning. About 12:30 Smokey started breathing heavily and whimpering. We called the vet and made the trip down to the vet as quickly as possible. Smokey was no longer able to walk and we had to carry him in on a blanket. Smokey's legs were out stiff and the vet said that was sign of something neurologically wrong and he thought it was probably a brain tumor. Then Smokey began to seize and the vet said he wasn't going to make it and we should go ahead and put him down. It was obvious that he was right and the only fair thing to do was let him go.

We have had Smokey and Cinder for 2 and a half years now and it has been like they have always been with us. But then they practically have. Hearing their many escapades here on Pet Talk and then seeing them 3-6 times a year has made them pretty much like we have known them forever. Phred did such a great job in raising them that they have been such a joy to add to our family. This has hit Carl and I pretty hard as we were not expecting this at all. I am getting too tired to write any more now.

Smokey, you were a great addition to our family and we will miss you forever. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5271.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	56409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5298.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	644.4 KB 
ID:	56410

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I'm so sorry for your loss. Smokey was such a wonderful dog and had many admirers here on PT. I'm sure that Phred was there to greet him when he got to Rainbow Bridge. RIP sweet Smokey. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry about Smokey. He's with Phred now. Bless you for taking both Smokey and Cinder in when Phred passed.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Such sad news! I am so sorry to hear this. RIP Sweet Smokey!

I am so sorry to read this about Smokey! He is with Phred now, that is true. Rest in peace, cutie, you were loved by so many

I'm so sorry. RIP Smokey - go be with your Dad now.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Smokey has had quite the life, being a PT dog for so many years, being so well known by so many around the world. And living in not one, but TWO PT homes!

I'm sure this leaves a hole in your heart, and I am sorry for your loss. Smokey will bound over and meet our Phred, and then, I bet he goes looking to check on "da Silver Cloud."

Having just gone through this with Lady, I feel your pain.

Play hard at the bridge, Smokey!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Smokey. He has had a good long life and we have all enjoyed him here on PT for so many years. Smokey is now at peace and Phred has surely welcomed him to the RB.

Rest in peace, dear Smokey!

Thank you for caring for him, Diana.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I am so sorry Diana and Carl, and family. You did a wonderful thing when you welcomed Smokey and Cinder into your home.

Rest easy Smokey <3.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years since Phred left us. But now he has one of his mutts back with him and the rest of the pets there at the bridge.

RIP Smokey
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh, the joyful reunion at the Rainbow Bridge that must have been. Diana, I know you and Carl are probably hurting, but we love you for taking them in, so Phred would know they were in good hands. We love you! Our deepest condolences.
    I've Been Frosted

I am so sorry to hear about Smokeys passing. It's shocking how fast they can leave us. Smokey is at peace now with Phred.
    Thank you Diana & Carl for taking such good care of both Smokey and Cinder. They couldn't have had a better home.(((Hugs)))
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My condolences to you and Carl - it was just the most wonderful thing to have Smokey and Cinder in your loving arms after Phred's passing. They could not have found a better home.

Rest in Peace dear Smokey and be sure to bring your Dad up to speed on all that is happening on da ole dirt ball. Cinder will miss you terribly and fortunately has Carl and Diana to love her.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Oh, I am so sorry to read this sad news. Sending you big hugs. (((HUGS)))
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678