Thread: Smokey has gone to be with Phred!

Hybrid View

Smokey has gone to be with Phred!

Smokey died this morning at 2:00 am. He got sick with what we thought was a stomach ailment on Friday evening and had not be able to keep food or water down. We called the vet tonight because he was having trouble walking and though we thought it was because he as weak from not eating we wanted to talk to the vet. Our vet has combined with another vet who has a small practice by himself in a small town south of us but which still makes it about a 15 mile trip. And of course every time one of our dogs need help on the weekend, he is the one on call. He is excellent but I just hate having to take the dogs down there and especially tonight since Smokey started to fail so quickly. That was about 9:00 when I talked to him and we decided to wait until morning. About 12:30 Smokey started breathing heavily and whimpering. We called the vet and made the trip down to the vet as quickly as possible. Smokey was no longer able to walk and we had to carry him in on a blanket. Smokey's legs were out stiff and the vet said that was sign of something neurologically wrong and he thought it was probably a brain tumor. Then Smokey began to seize and the vet said he wasn't going to make it and we should go ahead and put him down. It was obvious that he was right and the only fair thing to do was let him go.

We have had Smokey and Cinder for 2 and a half years now and it has been like they have always been with us. But then they practically have. Hearing their many escapades here on Pet Talk and then seeing them 3-6 times a year has made them pretty much like we have known them forever. Phred did such a great job in raising them that they have been such a joy to add to our family. This has hit Carl and I pretty hard as we were not expecting this at all. I am getting too tired to write any more now.

Smokey, you were a great addition to our family and we will miss you forever. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5271.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	56409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5298.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	644.4 KB 
ID:	56410

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I'm so sorry for your loss. Smokey was such a wonderful dog and had many admirers here on PT. I'm sure that Phred was there to greet him when he got to Rainbow Bridge. RIP sweet Smokey. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry about Smokey. He's with Phred now. Bless you for taking both Smokey and Cinder in when Phred passed.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Such sad news! I am so sorry to hear this. RIP Sweet Smokey!

I am so sorry to read this about Smokey! He is with Phred now, that is true. Rest in peace, cutie, you were loved by so many

I'm so sorry. RIP Smokey - go be with your Dad now.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!