Thread: MICHIGAN RESIDENTS: Please support bills to establish Registry of convicted animal abusers

MICHIGAN RESIDENTS: Please support bills to establish Registry of convicted animal abusers

(Legislation was introduced last month) in the Michigan House of Representatives. The two bills, if passed, would create a registry of convicted animal abusers, making Michigan the first state to have such a database.

The bills, H.B. 4534 and H.B. 4535, were introduced by state Reps. Harvey Santana, D-Detroit, and Paul Muxlow, R-Brown City. The legislators said they hope to have the measures up for a vote before the Legislature's summer recess.

The bills would compel all convicted animal abusers 18 and older to register with the state within five days of sentencing or release from jail. Offenders with a conviction in another state would have to register within 21 days of moving into Michigan. This would apply to cases of dog fighting, animal cruelty, abandonment or neglect.

The names would remain on the registry for five years.

The law would require adoption agencies and shelters to check the registry before adopting out animals. The database would be open to the public, including breeders and pet shops, although those entities would not be required to check it.
    ---------------------------
    --From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2T7DLTd7r

Details of the proposed legislation, named Logan's Law in honor of a husky who had acid thrown in his face, can be read/downloaded here: http://docs.housedems.com/district/0...se_Doc_Web.pdf

MICHIGAN RESIDENTS: Please contact your State Representative and State Senator to inform them that you support these bills and you want them to do the same.

State Reps and their contact information can be found at: www.house.mi.gov .
    State Senators and their contact information can be found at: www.senate.mi.gov .

Please also send Reps. Santana and Muxlow e-mails or letters expressing your support for the bills.

Please spread the word to other people who you think will support this effort.

And if you can, please attend public events such as rallies and press conferences to publicize the bills. An outdoor rally is scheduled this Friday, May 17, 10:30am, at the Blue Water Humane Society in Port Huron. Saturday, May 18, 12 noon, there will be an indoor event at Cooley Law School in Grand Rapids.

LET'S MAKE MICHIGAN THE FIRST STATE IN THE NATION TO ESTABLISH AN ANIMAL ABUSERS REGISTRY!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I think this is a wonderful idea & hope the people of Michigan will too.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

What a good idea! You should PM Ramanth, and make sure she sees this!
    I've Been Frosted

I will definitely contact my Representative. Finally, something the Michigan Legislature is doing right!!

This is a great idea. I will contact my Illinois state legislator about starting a similar registry.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    What a good idea! You should PM Ramanth, and make sure she sees this!
    I just did. Thanks, Karen!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

We have a similar bill pending here in New Jersey. I don't know for sure when it might come up for vote in the legislature but will check when I get back to work. From what I understand, support in favor of the bill is tremendous. A few months back, our legislature passed a bill that allows judges to issue protective orders for pets in domestic violence situations.

After 30 years on the job, I'm going to retire in September. From there I plan to team up with two friends in animal rescue and do legal research for animal welfare. Maybe this can be my contribution to improving the quality of life for animals everywhere.

Michigan - go for it!!!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

That would be wonderful if New Jersey would enact similar legislation! And Elyse is going to contact her state legislator in Illinois too. How good would that be if these efforts caught on across the nation! (And in other nations too.. )

And thank you so much, Eileen, for your post-retirement plans of putting your skills to work on behalf of the animals. God bless you!

Death thought about it.