Thread: Tiger Kitty's checkup

Hybrid View

Tiger Kitty's checkup

I took TK in for his last round of shots today and Dr. Lee noticed that he's missing hair in spots. He has idiopathic alopecia, ie., he's tearing his hair out. I haven't noticed, quite honestly, b/c he lives in the garage b/c of his FIV. So Dr. Lee couldn't determine if it's due to allergies or the FIV b/c he's also sneezing hard and in rapid fire. So Dr. Lee gave him a Depo shot, which should help for at least 30 days, but if he starts doing it again, then I'll have to keep him on monthly Depo shots. He has skin like rhinoceros hide. Dr. Lee had difficulty inserting the needle. I sure don't relish a monthly trip to the vet, that's for sure, but I'll do it if I have to. I now need to apply his flea stuff and then he can go back outside if he wants to. I had a kitty door installed in the garage but hopefully, he'll want to stay close to home. I don't like my cats being outdoors but I have no choice.

So...has anyone else dealt w/a cat obsessively tearing out his hair?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

It is often caused by stress, or discomfort. Is he not liking being confined, maybe? Is this a new behavior?
    I've Been Frosted

I don't know if it's new behavior. I've never seen him do it, so it must be when I leave. I spend time w/him every day and at night after I put the rest of the Fur Posse to bed, I bring him in the house for about an hour. He seems to like it in the garage just fine but I'll see how he reacts when I show him how to use the kitty door. It's locked right now but he sits in front of it and if he sees movement, he cringes. I can see now why he was so beat up when I rescued him. He's definitely a lover and not a fighter. He finally has hopped up onto the shelves in the garage and sits in front of a window and he doesn't seem to be afraid there. I'm not sure what could be causing him stress.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I don't know if it's new behavior. I've never seen him do it, so it must be when I leave. I spend time w/him every day and at night after I put the rest of the Fur Posse to bed, I bring him in the house for about an hour. He seems to like it in the garage just fine but I'll see how he reacts when I show him how to use the kitty door. It's locked right now but he sits in front of it and if he sees movement, he cringes. I can see now why he was so beat up when I rescued him. He's definitely a lover and not a fighter. He finally has hopped up onto the shelves in the garage and sits in front of a window and he doesn't seem to be afraid there. I'm not sure what could be causing him stress.

Maybe he is just lonely. You certainly have done everything under the sun for him already, but it could be something as simple as he doesn't like being alone.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You could be right, Liz. There isn't too much I can do about it, though, except to try to spend more time w/him but I doubt it's human company he wants. He bolted through the door the other day before I had a chance to put the others to bed downstairs. He ran up to Coco Puff as if to say "Hi, buddy! Wanna play?" Coco Puff screeched at him and TK became very submissive. It made me sad.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Hmm, maybe pick up a stuffed kitty to be his friend?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    You could be right, Liz. There isn't too much I can do about it, though, except to try to spend more time w/him but I doubt it's human company he wants. He bolted through the door the other day before I had a chance to put the others to bed downstairs. He ran up to Coco Puff as if to say "Hi, buddy! Wanna play?" Coco Puff screeched at him and TK became very submissive. It made me sad.

Awwwww, that is sad. Maybe your Vet could put you in touch with another FIP kitty who needs a home and would be a good match with TK. That would
    be a win-win for both of them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt