Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There not Bad to the Bone!!!!!!

There not Bad to the Bone!!!!!!

Sometimes Dobermans or German Shepherd or Rottwilers get a bad name just because people think there bad. I know a beauitiful German shepherd whos as playful as a small kitten, people cross the street from him just because how he looks!Thats horrible, and for anyone whos like that they only are trained to be mean or they've had a bad past. Very rairly are they mean! Has anyone had a dog thats been treated like that or do you know anyone whos like that?

People who stereotype generally anger me anyway. I am beginning to take the tack that stupid people don't deserve my time. And in my opinion anyone who classifies a dog based simply on its breed is stupid and narrowminded.

I have NEVER met a mean Rottie. They are big babies and the sweetest things ever.

We OWN 2 Pit mixes and they are the best! Serenity knows no stranger or enemy and is more likely to lick you to death than anything else.

Dobies, GSDs, and any other "Bad" breeds have just got bad raps.

Our idiot City Council and Animal Control have "adopted" the policy that any Pit or Pit mix will be put down regardless after the mandatory 3 days. Don't make me go there or I'll be here for days and it's already after midnight and I have to get up and teach in the morning.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

That is *DISGUSTING* mugsy. I can't even think about that either

I basically feel the same about people who generalize and stereotype. I think its stupid and narrowminded. Whenever I meet a meaner dog, I always immediately place the blame on the idiot owner and it doesn't make me think anything bad about the breed. Someday I want to get a Rottie, Pit, Chow, and GSD... all really huge wearing spiked collars. I want to walk them down the street and find someone who looks scared of them then say "SIC EM" and have all the dogs jump on the person and lick them to death. Hehehe
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

One of my co-workers at my last job has a father-daughter pair of Pit Bulls. They both used to accompany him to the hobby store we worked at and lounge in the office for most if the day. Bolo (Dad) is a big couch potato. If anyone got up from their seat they lost it to eighty pounds of big puppy. Diamond (daughter) liked ot come down and socialize with the customers. I remember walking in one day to see her standing quietly while a toddler in a stroller pulled at her whiskers. Talk about tolerant!

I have worked with dogs a lot in the last few years. The only bites I have gotten were from a golden retriever, a bassett hound, and all but one dalmation I have come across. (out of 4)

I don't entirely disagree with breed generalizing since I am now almost phobic about Dals, but I find laws and regulations generalizing 'pit-type' dogs and other such breeds rediculous. For example, rather than turn down a prospective applicant for an apartment because they have a doberman, why not tell any applicant with a dog that their dog has to have passed the Canine Good Citizen test?

Gah, I'm not going to be able to stop if I keep going any longer.....

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'll bet you're really shocked by their hiding behind the argument of liability. The director of the shelter will talk the good talk, but she hasn't convinced me and I'm not very welcomed if I walk through the door.

Today was the worst Ruby was on a walk with Ollie the GShepherd and a little poddle was coming up the path and as normal Ruby and Ollie got excited and the women who owned this poddle rushed up to the poddle and picked him up and only put him down after we were out of sight! And the poddles name was Paris! YUCK!!!!!!!!

She might not have meant any offense by this. I pick up my Poodle sometimes when big dogs pass, only because I am paranoid about him getting hurt since he's so little compared to all the other dogs we come across. Its not a breed thing for me, its a 'that dog is bigger than my dog and I don't know the dog's history or anything so i'm not going to take a chance' thing. I'm afraid even if they're just playing, Reece might get stepped on and hurt bad.

Then again, she very well could have been one of those people that stereotype dogs.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I think she was because Ruby is the same size of the poddle !

Well I've had people with lil' dogs do that to me, when I have
    Oz with me, and he's a collie. I don't get offended, because
    having lil' dogs myself, I wouldn't hesitate to pick them
    up off the ground either. If people want to get offended so
    be it. I gotta think of Murph and Maddie first. There's quite
    a few people out there that even though their dog is on a leash
    and friendly, will just walk right up to you, without asking if it's
    okay. It's no big deal if I have Oz, who's huge and non-
    aggressive towards other dogs, but M&M being lil' and terriers,
    feeling trapped on a leash and intimidated and threatened by
    a dog coming up to them, would more than likely growl at the
    other dog. Just safer for all concerned, if I pick them up off the
    ground and avoid any possible confrontation. And I would do
    that for small or big dogs that looked like they were going to
    approach us.

Par...

I can understand the fear people have with some dogs,
    even though it might not be warranted.
    I also usually never get offended.
    In fact, if I am walking Rocky, I love
    that people make a point to keep their distance
    with their dog when I am walking Rocky.
    If I see them first,
    I will make sure their is plenty of distance.

The only couple of times, I got offended is the time
    I use to take Sheba to the leashless Dog Park.
    A woman getting out of her car yelled at me,
    and said "my dog doesn't like your dog, so
    keep your dog away".
    I ignored her and walked into the dog park.
    The other time I was also at the park and
    Sheba was nicely playing with the other dogs.
    I over heard a woman talking to another woman
    "those are mean dogs" and pointing out to Sheba.
    Sheba than came up to me for pets, and
    the woman appolized when she realized
    Sheba was my dog.
    (Sheba is not dog aggressive and use to love
    playing in the park with all the dogs)

(As the owner of a small dog too, I would not hesitate
    in picking up Pepper if a med. to large dog was off leash
    approached us)
    Last edited by KYS; 12-10-2002 at 08:48 AM.

----<---<--<{(@

I think what we all have to remember is your dog big or small is a stranger to others and I for one always lift Ricky & Lucy Tu when we come up to larger dogs. If I do not know the dog or the owner, my first reaction is "an ounce of prevention'" Ricky & Lucy's Vet insists that I keep a harness on both of them which allows for quick pick up from danger. As he constantly reminds us, it only takes one bite from a big dog to kill ours. It doesn't mean we are prejudice against big dogs, just responsible owners.

One more thing

I also pick Lucy Tu up when we walk her around our neighborhood and a certain tom cat shows up. He prowls around cars, trying to sneak up on us because he thinks she is a mouse and wants to pounce on her. He used to do the same thing to Ricky but Ricky got bigger.

The thing I don't understand is everyone is afried of Big dogs. I can understand because of there size but I'more afried of those nippy little dogs (not saying all little dogs are nippy). I know this has been said alot, but usually a mean dog is because of its owner, not all cases are that way, but I would say most.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Anna_66 has a rottweiler, and I really do think that sweet Angus would be a bad dog. Some dobermans do turn on humans, but they should not have a bad name. Nobody knows what a dog is going to do-nobody. Dogs are predictable once in a blue moon, but sometimes they are unpredictable. I love dogs, and I would never give a specific breed a bad name. German Shepherds are usually nice dogs. I have seen some mean Rottweilers on tv, but that certainly does not mean that that breed is a bad dog through and through.

Yep Ash, I'm with you. The dog most likely to bite is a cocker spaniel. A dog rated in the top 10 best dogs to have with children...Pit Bull. You can ask my kids at school. I harp on them all the time about not stereotyping with people or with dogs.