Thread: Advice for a future vet tech

Hybrid View

Advice for a future vet tech

Hello everyone!

A great goal and dream of mine is to become a Veterinary Technician and it seems that dream is going to have to wait. I was in the middle of transferring to an AVMA accredited school, but personal issues came up and I can't go through with the transferring just yet, so my plan is to study on my own!
    So, community, what I'm asking is what material, books, e-books, websites, etc. would help me understand how to be a vet tech? I know I need to learn about anatomy and different medicines, but what else? And this isn't just open to people in the vet tech field either!
    I want to know what people who bring in their beloved pets would like to see from the vet staff! Is there something that you wanted to know more about, that you weren't quite sure on or it wasn't explained enough? Or was there something that you really liked about an experience that you had at a clinic? I know at some clinics I will be the main person handling your pet, so any advice or comments I could get from the customers, would help me become a better vet tech!

So give me all the advice you want!

Hi Mackenzie,

I have a friend who is now a vet tech and is also in Veterinary School to become a vet. I will message her tonight to see what helpful information she may have and I`ll either post or message you whatever information she gives me.

What I really enjoy about my cats` vet is how he makes them feel comfortable in the examination room. I`ve seen that not everyone just has that type of demeanor or behavior that helps the animals relax. Even Rocky, my most skittish cat who is terrified every time I bring him to see the White Coats, is put at ease after a few minutes with our vet. I`m sure as an animal lover you already possess this skill, but I just wanted to add that as it`s what I like about my vet. Of course, treatment wise, he is also phenomenal, but I feel bad when my babies are terrified of someone that only wants to help. I understand that not all animals will be put at ease while at the vet, but I just really like how he seems to have a talent with making them feel a bit less scared.

I will definitely get back to you when I hear from my friend; I`m sure she will have plenty of useful information for you. I wish you the best of luck and I`ll be messaging you soon!

- Brittany
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa