Thread: Please spread awareness of the cat and dog meat trade in China.

Please spread awareness of the cat and dog meat trade in China.

I don't post very often anymore but am friends with Freedom via email and she knows how strongly I feel about animal welfare and animal rights.

I am posting this to raise awareness of the dog and cat meat trade that exists in China. Although us in the west (UK, America, Europe) are aware of the dog/cat meat being eaten in the orient, even being a taboo subject, not a lot of people realise the sheer horror of what the dogs and cats go through whilst in the slaughterhouses, markets and restaurants that they end up in.

Please take a look at the album by animal equality on the meat trade in China.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/animale...7635439511911/

Of course these photographs are terrible and show the brutality of how the Chinese country treats these animals (aswell as cattle and other meat) and there are a lot of people campaigning worldwide to ban the dog and cat meat trade.

By making more people aware of what it going on, the word will spread about this trade. The more people see, the more they will become passionate about ending this horrific world for these animals.

I understand a lot of people don't like looking at pictures of animal cruelty, of course I don't myself. But people NEED to know this is going on. We cannot turn a blind eye to this.

I apologise if I have offended anybody by posting this link and raising this issue. But this is something I feel very passionate about and cannot just stand by while these animals are tortured and treated this way.

Thank you for reading.

Kate (Culturejunky)

The cat and dog meat trade does expose the animals to much cruelty. BUT, I have Chinese students who point out to me the cruelty inflicted upon turkeys who are raised in this country. They say we think nothing of eating these birds for our "national holiday". They get a bit offended when WE point fingers at them. When I say I am against ALL animal cruelty they respond by telling me to have our country clean up our act before we accuse others of cruel acts. In other words, they don't want to hear it until it is not an issue in our country. They have a point. We find it abhorrent because it is dogs and cats, but we treat our poultry, pork, and beef food animals little better. I say we work WITH people to end this, not attack them. That will do little good and make us look like total hypocrites.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Oh yes you are 100% right. The treatment of all animals is despicable. I am a vegetarian/vegan and choose to be so not because I don't like the taste of meat, but because I don't agree with the intensive farming methods of meat being reared for our consumption increasingly for cheaper products.

I try to spread awareness by showing people what is going on, and signing petitions, writing letters etc. It all has to start somewhere and if you can get the ball rolling in terms of getting it debated, raising awareness among the public and getting legislation pushed through parliaments then that will help to kick start a chain of change.

Farm animals in the UK and the US have the standards they are raised in now because of people campaigning for better welfare standards. Although they are still not good enough, people speaking out can force a change.

I am not saying it can be banned overnight, that won't happen. Even if legislature was pushed through in China for better treatment and housing for these animals before they are slaughtered and better slaughtering methods while the meat is still consumed this would be a step forward.

Surely that's what we need to use our intelligence as humans for. To help those who don't have a voice.

That is terrible to us , but every county has its standards. In India they so not eat Cows and we do.
    With all those people meat must be scarce.
    That is so sad for those poor animals.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS