Thread: Choosing Safer hygiene products

Choosing Safer hygiene products

I am sharing this in part because I remember Donna / Moosmom asking about henna and hair coloring, in the past. And lots of PT members piped in with pros and cons of various items.

Our daily newspaper carries a syndicated column by Dr. Keith Roach on health issues. This column has been around for years, Dr. Donohue used to be the author. He recently (in the past year) retired, but he took his time finding his replacement author, and introducing Dr. Roach to his reading public.

Today's column responds to a reader query on picking safe products for skin, hair, makeup and so forth. You can read the column here:
    http://herald-review.com/news/opinio...9bb2963f4.html

Here is the link to the website mentioned in the article. Products are rated on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the 'safest,' and 5 being the most problematic.
    http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

It takes a few minutes to learn how to navigate through the site, but I found it very interesting reading. Just as we have to read labels on our pet foods, we should learn to read labels on our home hygiene things as well.

The site researches and reviews a product ingredients for:
    - overall hazard
    - cancer
    - development and reproductive toxicity
    - allergies and immunotoxicity
    - use restrictions

It makes for interesting reading.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Thanks for this - very interesting.

Out of curiosity, I put in a couple of different products that I use/have used, and was shocked at the difference in rating. I don't use a lot of makeup, but when I do, I use the newer mineral powders. I have used both the Bare Essentuals and Maybelline brands - the B.E. being quite pricy and claiming to be the best, and M being much cheaper and available anywhere. Maybelline scored far better!!!! That was a shocker.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I have been using Mary Kay skin care products since my daughter started selling them last year. They did not score very well.

I have previously used some products by a company called "Kiss my Face" which I purchased at the health food store. They score very well.