Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh Lordy.....

Slick, I am so glad there is a place you can get regular fur therapy! If Puppy does not come to you, I hope he will be in a loving forever home very soon. He sure is beautiful!

Thinking of you,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Slick, I have a feeling that you're not quite ready yet, so do take your time. Go get some fur therapy at the sanctuary and one day, you'll get a sign and know it's right.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Of course whatever you feel is right-on the other hand getting Orion 3 days after Filou left for Rainbow Bridge saved us a lot of tears. Made me feel a little guilty but it was the right decision....

Slick, Yes please take your time. From my own experience, I've always found that by adopting another cat that I was able to heal a lot faster. I also agree with MOFF in that if you do decide to adopt another older kitty, that you may not have the cat for very long. Then you'd have to go through the grieving process all over again way too soon. I also seem to remember that you posted some where on PT that when Merlin was gone that you wanted to eventually adopt 2 cats the next time. If this is still true then Puppy wouldn't be the right choice. I know that I've posted many things on PT before and then I've changed my mind later so maybe you have too. Good luck with whatever type of animal companion that you end up adopting. I know that they'll have the best home.

I had a look at the video from the shelter you go to, Slick. What a bunch of sweeties you have there! I'd love to visit that place. The guy called Noel seems nice, too - have you met him?

http://www.vancouverfoundationstorie...hp?recordID=65

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What a great sanctuary! From the video it sounds like cats can be adopted there, but they are very fussy about who adopts.

I think the black kitty found on Main Street who doesn't like other cats might be an option for you in the future. He looks adorable and very loving!

Oh gosh...I wish I could win a huge lottery. There are so many places I would like to help!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I think it's great they are so fussy about who adopts... I know we all agree about that.

I noticed an orange with a white chest and a big grey boy, who I fell in love with. Oh, there are so many. Hope they all find loving homes.

That video was made quite some time ago. Sadly, some of the furbabies have passed on now. The sanctuary is just that, a sanctuary, not a shelter. You can't adopt from the sanctuary because the 600+ kitties are there to spend the rest of their lives. Most of them are elderly or very feral. The sanctuary was started up to provide a home for all unwanted or abused cats. It never ceases to amaze me that they all cohabitate with very little feuding. They all know their place in the pecking order. It's a very calming place to sit, especially when you have several kitties circling your feet and wanting to sit on your lap.

The sanctuary is run by the Richmond Animal Protection Society (RAPS) and their office and shelter is about a 10 min drive from the sanctuary. You can adopt from this shelter. I was there on Sunday and almost came home with a beautiful 17 yr old grey girl. Granted, she could come with issues, but she's in a cage because she doesn't like other cats. Just can't stand thinking about her spending the rest of her precious life in a cage when I can provide a loving home for her, even if it's for a short time. For me, it's worth it. I try and try to explain this to my friends up here but they just don't get it. It's very frustrating.

My head still says "wait" while my heart says "go for it". Who would you listen to?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    That video was made quite some time ago. Sadly, some of the furbabies have passed on now. The sanctuary is just that, a sanctuary, not a shelter. You can't adopt from the sanctuary because the 600+ kitties are there to spend the rest of their lives. Most of them are elderly or very feral. The sanctuary was started up to provide a home for all unwanted or abused cats. It never ceases to amaze me that they all cohabitate with very little feuding. They all know their place in the pecking order. It's a very calming place to sit, especially when you have several kitties circling your feet and wanting to sit on your lap.

The sanctuary is run by the Richmond Animal Protection Society (RAPS) and their office and shelter is about a 10 min drive from the sanctuary. You can adopt from this shelter. I was there on Sunday and almost came home with a beautiful 17 yr old grey girl. Granted, she could come with issues, but she's in a cage because she doesn't like other cats. Just can't stand thinking about her spending the rest of her precious life in a cage when I can provide a loving home for her, even if it's for a short time. For me, it's worth it. I try and try to explain this to my friends up here but they just don't get it. It's very frustrating.

My head still says "wait" while my heart says "go for it". Who would you listen to?
    Slick, when I lost Kylie and Keegan so close together last year, I said "no more pets!" My mom said
    "now Stace, you will get a dog again" and I said "NO, it hurts too much." that took me about a week of feeling that way. Someone asked me if I had looked at petfinder and I said no b/c I had been looking at it in the few weeks before Keegan's death, to help my sister find a dog, and I already felt guilty b/c of that. So she pulled it up and we started looking at work one night, well then it was like the search was on! I am surprised it wasn't blocked at work! I still was on the fence about when. I thought maybe I'd get one by the end of 2012, then I thought maybe by fall. I thought maybe I wanted an older puppy. Then I started hearing about my sister's new dog's sheningans, and decided nope don't want a puppy!
    There really is no right time for another pet. One of my neighbors waited 3 days, another 6 YEARS!!! I saw several dogs on petfinder and Craigslist ( ) I emailed about and nothing came out of it. I met 3 at a local rescue but none had the connection. Then I saw Brodie's picture on Facebook. I thought "oh he has to be someone's dog" a week or so later I was looking thru that shelter's pics again. And somone mentioned he was still available. I made the trip and as soon as I saw him I thought I would like him. My friend that went with me said she thought as soon as she saw us together "that is her dog". I stood around awhile with him kind of on the fence of what to do. Then as I was standing by their desk I looked down at their huge desk calender and at the bottom corner of the calender was one word. When I saw it my eyes widened, I got a tear in my eye and knew at that moment it was meant to be. The word? KEEGAN

Within a minute or too they looked at me and asked what I thought and I took a deep breath and said "I'll take him."

I always have thought you would enjoy a small dog. I can say without a doubt that the love of a dog is different than a cat. I can also say that having both is very rewarding, seeing their relationship grow and change is wonderful. Being curled up with a dog's head on your leg and a cat on your chest is wonderful. Puppy is just wonderful. He is gorgeous but if something is telling you still No then you aren't quite ready. You will know. Without a doubt.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Slick,

I so agree with Shais Mom - you will know!! We hesitated for years to get another cat (or dog) after our precious August passed. That all changed in what seemed like a second when Eve walked into the garden - she belonged to someone else and yet, she made it well known that she had "come home".

For now, all you need to do is heal your heart and stay open to possibilities. The best surprises are the ones you don't expect. There is a baby out there looking for you, just not sure where or when.

Hugs, Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Our hearts were shattered when Kuhio died at 17. A month later, Bobcat found the strength to go to the same shelter that mistakenly put Kuhio to sleep. He rescued Halo.
    She was weak and sick from just giving birth.

Over the next months, her silvery fur soaked up a lot of our tears as she helped heal our broken hearts. I would like to think that we helped heal hers as well.
    Our hearts were broken again when we lost her in 2010. But, we would do it all over again. Because the only thing worse than losing a baby, is never loving another one.

Any kitty would be lucky to have you as the purrson.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 05-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

As for me, I could not stand to be in an empty house. But then, I'm almost isolated. I get out to run errands but never have humans around other than a cousin who comes visting once a year. I go weeks without talking to another human sometimes.

But even before that, I just can't take an empty house. I always listen to my heart because my head, specially now that I'm getting old, tends to get things confused a lot.

If I had listened to my head, I would never have tried to tame Winnie down and for sure never tried bringing her inside. Now she is the most loving cat you can imagine. Well, exept for the occasional laspes when she tries to bite my head.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

For what it's worth, I would love to see you adopt Puppy but if you're not ready, you're not ready. And there's no need to feel guilty over either decision.

FOR ME, I adopted Gus and Lizzie way too soon after K'Cee passed. (She passed on a Monday, I adopted Gus and Lizzie that Saturday, and had surgery two days after the adoption.) I don't regret my choice of furbabies but I did feel guilty about adopting so soon, I kind of felt that I cheated my heart cat out of a "proper" mourning, that I did her a disservice, etc. All of that of course is ridiculous but as you said, the head and heart are sometimes at odds.

On the other hand, I was facing surgery and a long time off my feet and on my butt and couldn't imagine anything worse than being alone in my home during that time. (Yes, I had FiFi bunny but I have a hard time catching her when I'm "normal" so I could forget even attempting to let her out during this time.) So, it was adopt them while I could drive or wait three months and chance that they might not be there. Selfishness won out; I went and adopted both and cried the two hour drive home, asking K'Cee to forgive me.

When I got them home, first order of business was a bath and pedicure. Afterwards, I shut them in the bathroom with fresh blankets, litterbox, food, etc. Then I sat down and bawled. What had I done?

I checked on them frequently, earning hisses and growls anytime I entered. What had I done? Later that night, I was able to snag Gus and I took him into the living room; I held him and just cried and cried and cried. I told him about K'Cee and how she would be so mad at me and what a great cat she was and how I felt like my heart had been split open. He didn't move but he didn't growl. We both fell asleep and I woke up with a stiff neck (not to mention puffy eyes) 5 hours later, Gus still draped across my chest.

Five months later, I still can't think or mention K'Cee without tearing up. But what I CAN do is answer the "What have I done?" question. I have rescued two kittens from a humane society and, more specifically, a foster that had 25 other cats and could only tell me that Gus (then a different name) had very long whiskers. I have provided medical treatment for their colds, flea-disease (I can't remember what it was called), got rid of their worms, and put them on a good food. I have slowly opened up parts of my home and heart to two kittens who have very different personalities; Lizzie the clown isn't much for cuddling, while Gus, who was only known for his whiskers, is a snuggle bug and will wake me up to be held. (It hurts my heart to think that this cat who so clearly craves attention, didn't receive ANY in his foster home. The foster's quote to me was, "Well, I have about 27 cats. It's hard to know each one's personality." The foster cried as I left so I know he cared for them, I think his heart was just bigger than his schedule/wallet.) Even now, there are places in my home (and truth be told, my heart) that are off limits to the new kitties, they are "K'Cee spots" and I'm just not ready.

I honestly couldn't ask for better kittens, though. They are THE BEST about using a scratching post/pad. The only times they've had accidents were when the antibiotics (and change in food) gave them tummy aches. They don't get on the counters (anymore... or at least that I know of.... though Lizzie was bound and determined to hide behind the Keurig when I first let them out of the bathroom). They don't try to run outside. They get along with the bunny although, being kittens, I don't let them play together. Their only "vice" is any sort of paper; they will SHRED it (or better yet, put it in bed with me THEN commence to shredding it). Oh and Gus has a fetish for the kindle and ipad... he knows how to turn the pages (digs at it like he's in the litterbox lol) -- hard to read with him around.

So, would I adopt again so soon? I can't say "no" but "probably not." My heart still DEEPLY aches for K'Cee. But then I see these two kitties running around playing or hold Gus and listen to his monster-sized purr, I know I made the right choice for THEM .... and me, too, even if I'm not ready to admit it yet.

Fret not, it'll work out like it's suppose to.

There is one remarkable thing I have learned over my MANY years. The heart has an amazing ability to expand and make room for more love without taking away any love that is already there. Every animal I have ever loved; and there are tons of them, are still in their own special place in my heart. No other animal will ever take their place it is theirs for ever!!!

No matter how long you have a fur friend, there will never be enough hugs given. You will always want to give them at least one more. I still tear up at times wanting to give Leonard and Luke and all of them "one more hug". Every day that passes brings us closer to the time we will be able to hug them again. Only difference is there will never ever have to be 'one last hug' again.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Ok, now I am here crying at work from these heartfelt stories.

I believe you should listen to your heart. It speaks louder than our heads, usually. You will do the right thing, at the right time, for you.

I think it would be wonderful if you could give the 17 year old grey kitty a loving home for the remainder of her time here.

Again, you will do what's right, don't you worry about that.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)