Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Luna's legs are getting weaker (x-ray shot of her spine; #77)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    Prayers for a good bloodwork result. Is there anything the can do about the discs?
    Thank you! No, just pain meds (which we do already)

Oh Kirsten, I so hope Luna's blood work will be within normal range. How pitiful she looks - I remember Fister looking like that after being sedated, and you just feel so bad. She'll have to sleep it off, but knowing cats, she'll probably try to get to a certain spot, even if she has to wobble around and fall over, to get there.

I hope she'll be feeling OK soon!

Oh, and tell Lily to stop hissing and growling like that!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I am saying big prayers for meowmie, Lily and Luna today
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Prayers going out. I hope the pain meds and gradual weight loss will help!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers and good wishes and loads of love for you all..

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to Luna and you.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Kirsten, could you throw a couple of bottles with water in them in the freezer, so once they are frozen you can take them out and create a small zone of cool for your self and for the kitties? Just a thought! Hope she clears the drugs from her system soon, and will say a prayer for good results on the blood test!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you so very much for your good wishes for my beloved girl! Luckily, things are more back to normal now. Temperatures went down after heavy thunderstorms so the air is much fresher now, and Luna, who appeared very exhaused and almost lethargic yesterday, is now back to her old self. And Lily has finally realized that it's her kitty buddy Luna whom I brought home from the vet. There was still a little hissing this morning, but it's much better now.

I got the results of Luna's bloodwork this noon. Not as good as I was hoping for, but it could have been worse.

- Cystatin C (early recognition of renal failure) is cleary increased now (it had been slightly increased in 2009), but the "standard" kidney values are still normal. I will get her Renes Viscum next week to support her kidneys. I had the same for Lily when her urea was increased some years ago, and it worked fine for her.

- one of the liver values is slightly increased, but not so much that my vet would be worried about it. She thinks it could be due to the pain meds she's on for a while now. Her liver looked fine in the x-ray shot, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about this at this point.

- Her fructosamine is not increased yet, but close to the upper limit. So she's definitely at risk of developing diabetes sooner or later; I need to keep an eye on that.

- Her blood count was as bad as I expected. Leucos are dramatically low, and we don't know why. However, Luna's blood count has always been like this, and Lily has the same abnormalties in hers. It is strange, probably some kind of underlying virus that both cats have, but we don't know which one it might be. Last year, Lily has been tested negative for Feline Leukemia, FIP, and FIV, so it might be something else. I won't dig any further here at this point as both of them show no signs of illness.

So, all in all, I think the results could have been worse for a 13 year-old senior.
    Last edited by Kirsten; 06-21-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Kirsten, you, Lily and Luna are in my thoughts and prayers. I know how difficult it can be with senior cats. But you're an awesome Meowmie. They are both lucky to have you.

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Kirsten, you, Lily and Luna are in my thoughts and prayers. I know how difficult it can be with senior cats. But you're an awesome Meowmie. They are both lucky to have you.

Donna
    Thank you for saying this, Donna! I'm trying to do my best - and how couldn't I for I love them so very much. ♥ But often, I feel so bad because I'm poor now since I retired, and some say that poor folks shouldn't have pets as they cannot care for them. However, I'm doing all that I can to give them everything they need. They're my babies. ♥

Dear Kirsten, I'm so glad things are getting more back to normal now. I know you are doing everything you can for them both, and I agree completely with what Donna said, ".. you're an awesome Meowmie. They are both lucky to have you."

Continuing prayers and loving good wishes and warm energies that things go well for you all for a long time to come. God bless.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

It's tough when you are poor to afford pets, but we do for them whatever is necessary. We always find the money somewhere. You are doing a great job and your girls are lucky to have you!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

So glad that things seem to be getting back under control with Luna Kirsten. She looks so pitiful coming out of that anesthetic but then we don't look so great when we come out of it ourselves. I hope everything will be uphill for the rest of the way--prayers for Luna.
    If poor people weren't supposed to have pets there would be a lot of homeless pets out there---poor people always seem to find the way to give their pets the care they need. You're giving Luna and Lily a great home and the best care when they need it so don't even think you shouldn't own your cats... I've seen people with no money issues treat their pets horribly and I often wonder why they own them.
    Love goes a long way when it comes to caring for our pets.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Thank you so very much for your good wishes for my beloved girl! Luckily, things are more back to normal now. Temperatures went down after heavy thunderstorms so the air is much fresher now, and Luna, who appeared very exhaused and almost lethargic yesterday, is now back to her old self. And Lily has finally realized that it's her kitty buddy Luna whom I brought home from the vet. There was still a little hissing this morning, but it's much better now.
    Yay, yay! I will keep praying and thinking good thoughts for Lily, Luna and meowmie

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    You're giving Luna and Lily a great home and the best care when they need it so don't even think you shouldn't own your cats... Love goes a long way when it comes to caring for our pets.
    What Asiel said!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words.

And I'm happy to report that things are back to normal now! No more hissing and howling from Lily. These days may have been tough for Luna who had to endure the vet visit and the sedation, but it's been hard for Lily as well because a "drugged" Luna scared her so much!