Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Luna's legs are getting weaker (x-ray shot of her spine; #77)

I am sending prayers and loving thoughts and helpful energies to dearest Luna, and to you too, Kirsten. Much love to you both.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Poor Luna isn't doing better; and she's back on pain meds, and in addition, I give her hypericum to support her nerves. She seems to be less depressed, most likely because she's feeling less pain, but there's still this weakness in her hind legs. Especially when she's changing directions, her legs give in. And she can no longer jump onto tables (for some strange reason, she still manages to jump onto the closet from her scratching post). It's hard to see her like that!

I've spoken to my vet again, and she still says it's difficult to diagnose what exactly is wrong. She said she could do an x-ray shot, but if it's a pinched nerve, or a herniated disc, it won't show. So she advised me not to go for it... Well, maybe she said that because she knows I don't have money, but I will talk to her again next week. My gut feeling is telling me that Luna will not recover from this, and I really fear for her.

Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear that she's not improving. This brings back bad memories of my Storm. His back legs gave out on him so he couldn't even walk. Since he was older, I didn't bother to test him to find out what was wrong. I just had to let him go even though it was very difficult. I hope that you'll be able to keep her comfortable and hopefully she'll start improving. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Continued prayers and caring thoughts for dear Luna!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear that she's not improving. This brings back bad memories of my Storm. His back legs gave out on him so he couldn't even walk. Since he was older, I didn't bother to test him to find out what was wrong. I just had to let him go even though it was very difficult. I hope that you'll be able to keep her comfortable and hopefully she'll start improving. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))
    Tracey, how old was your Storm when this happened? Luna is 13, but the muscles in her hind legs have been a little weak all her life, even as a kitten. I remember that back in 2001, I asked my vet to make an xray of her hip bones because I felt something was wrong (she did, and her bones were fine). Meanwhile, vet visits are extremely stressful for Luna, it wouldn't be possible to make an x-ray shot or even draw blood from her without sedation, but she doesn't tolerate anaesthesia very well. For this reason, I was so far hesitant to put her through all this, but I feel I'm letting her down.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Continued prayers and caring thoughts for dear Luna!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Tracey, how old was your Storm when this happened? Luna is 13, but the muscles in her hind legs have been a little weak all her life, even as a kitten. I remember that back in 2001, I asked my vet to make an xray of her hip bones because I felt something was wrong (she did, and her bones were fine). Meanwhile, vet visits are extremely stressful for Luna, it wouldn't be possible to make an x-ray shot or even draw blood from her without sedation, but she doesn't tolerate anaesthesia very well. For this reason, I was so far hesitant to put her through all this, but I feel I'm letting her down.

Thank you.
    This happened last year in late July so he was 16 1/2 years old. Since I adopted him from the Humane Society and we were guessing his age, he may have been a year or so older than that. It came on very suddenly and he had never had any problems with his back legs before. Now I'm thinking that he could've had a stroke that may have caused this.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    This happened last year in late July so he was 16 1/2 years old. Since I adopted him from the Humane Society and we were guessing his age, he may have been a year or so older than that. It came on very suddenly and he had never had any problems with his back legs before. Now I'm thinking that he could've had a stroke that may have caused this.
    Hmm, if this came out of a sudden, it may in fact have been a stroke. Of course I fear it could be something like this with Luna as well, even though I think in that case, she won't have symptom-free periods. If my gut feeling is right, it's something neurological, but what if I'm wrong and the weakness is just a side effect of an illness (heart condition, virus or whatever), or a circulatory disorder? I really fear that. On the other hand, she seems to be fine, apart from that. Fur and eyes are shiny, nose and eyes are clean, she's eating and playing. She enjoyed the cat nip pads that I made for Lily's birthday so very much! And she's cuddly, she always wants to be with be. I think is because she knows I'm protecting her against Lily. Right now, she's sitting right next to me on my mouse pad, purring, and trying to get my attention. She's always near me these days (unless she's sleeping or stealing food in the kitchen )

Oh, Kirsten, we are sending along all our love and prayers and good wishes and healing energies for Luna, and for you too.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Kirsten, to me it sounds like a bit of arthritis, combined with old age, but if she still eats, drinks and can jump up in your bed, she's not that bad. Fister was more vocal in his last year and wanted to cuddle more, but his appetite wasn't that good, even his favourite treats.

I hope Luna will be with you for a long time yet, she's such a sweet and beautiful girl.

Kirsten, I was also thinking... if you put something she could jump up on, to make it easier for her, that might work. However, I did that for Fister and he didn't want to use it.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Do you have vets that will come to your house? Maybe that is an option for Luna.

Could you mix her struivite crystal food half-and-half with weight loss food? Ask your vet. I'm sure even a few ounces off would make a difference for Luna. If you can get real fish oil that's a good source of Omega-3. It really helped Oscar and Cole when the vet said they had some arthritis in their hips.

hugs and I know you'll what's best for your girl!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Kirsten your cat seems to be overweight from the pictures and from what you say here...has your vet checked Luna for Diabetes? She could have diabetic neuropathy, her condition would then be neurological but it can be treated --that would cause the weakness in the hindlegs. Also I'm wondering if she was checked in case she has a blood clot lodged in the main artery, this would block blood supply to the hind legs and cause weakness. And I wondered if you thought of adding potassium to her diet, it helps humans and animals alike. Matter of fact I'm on extra potassium for weakness in my legs and I've seen a huge change.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Kirsten your cat seems to be overweight from the pictures and from what you say here...has your vet checked Luna for Diabetes? She could have diabetic neuropathy, her condition would then be neurological but it can be treated --that would cause the weakness in the hindlegs. Also I'm wondering if she was checked in case she has a blood clot lodged in the main artery, this would block blood supply to the hind legs and cause weakness. And I wondered if you thought of adding potassium to her diet, it helps humans and animals alike. Matter of fact I'm on extra potassium for weakness in my legs and I've seen a huge change.
    Well, yes, she is overweight, and I will definetely ask my vet if she could have diabetes. However, she doesn't show any of these typical diabetes symptoms, like increased thirst and urination. As for the blood clot, I have already asked my vet (and my former vet also) about this, and they said that cats with blood clots scream loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Could you mix her struivite crystal food half-and-half with weight loss food? Ask your vet. I'm sure even a few ounces off would make a difference for Luna. If you can get real fish oil that's a good source of Omega-3. It really helped Oscar and Cole when the vet said they had some arthritis in their hips.

hugs and I know you'll what's best for your girl!
    I put her on a calory reduced struvite crystal diet a few weeks ago, and she has already lost a little weight. Last year, I got her salmon oil since I was told omega 3 would be good for cats with arthritis, but unfortunately, she didn't like it at all. Now I've got her Gimpet multivitamin paste, which she loves.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    Do you have vets that will come to your house? Maybe that is an option for Luna.
    We tried that once when Luna had to get an enema, but here at home, she was fighting worse than she does at the vet's office! She was screaming like a banshee which traumatized Lily as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Kirsten, to me it sounds like a bit of arthritis, combined with old age, but if she still eats, drinks and can jump up in your bed, she's not that bad. Fister was more vocal in his last year and wanted to cuddle more, but his appetite wasn't that good, even his favourite treats.

I hope Luna will be with you for a long time yet, she's such a sweet and beautiful girl.

Kirsten, I was also thinking... if you put something she could jump up on, to make it easier for her, that might work. However, I did that for Fister and he didn't want to use it.
    Yes, I hope she will still be with me for a while! And yes, I need to rearrange things here to make life easier for her. Yesterday, I build a barrier around the top of the cabinet because I don't want her to fall down (Lily attacked her there the day before yesterday and Luna panicked up there), and I need to come up with more solutions for her.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Oh, Kirsten, we are sending along all our love and prayers and good wishes and healing energies for Luna, and for you too.

Pat and cats

Thank you very much!

I am glad to hear she is losing some weight. It takes a while in cats - heck in all of us! - - but over time she should get more comfortable.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I am glad to hear she is losing some weight. It takes a while in cats - heck in all of us! - - but over time she should get more comfortable.
    I hope so! After two weeks, I could see she has lost a little weight (and Lily as well 'cause she's also eating that food), but now, the weight loss seemed to have stopped, for both of them.