Thread: 2-wk-old kitten's eye is stuck shut: What to do?

2-wk-old kitten's eye is stuck shut: What to do?

I've posted in General about this new kitten family that was born to someone I know, and I'm trying to help them if I can .. see http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...-kitten-family .. latest update, I've found a couple of VERY low-cost spay/neuter opportunities for them!

I'm writing now here in Health to ask for any advice because one of the kittens has an eye stuck shut, and I don't know what might be going on and what if anything there is to do, or does this 2-week-old kitten need to see a vet.

Debbie called me this evening saying one of the kittens' eye was stuck shut. She said they wiped it with a cotton pad and got some gunk off, but the eye is still stuck shut. She was asking me what might be happening and what to do.

She said the eye was open a few days ago, and they just noticed today that it is stuck shut.

I told her to keep an eye on the kitten over the next day or two and please call me tomorrow and let me know how it is.

I am writing to ask for advice, because I don't really know what she should do if the kitten's eye does not open in the next day or two.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Love
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

They should gently wipe it off with warm water on a soft cloth a couple times a day, it may have an infection, so they should keep watch on it, just in case.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you, Karen. I will tell her. How long should it take to start getting better?

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

With eye issues I always opt in favor of a vet check. The risk is too high, IMO.

If it doesn't get better in a couple days, a vet trip is necessary.
    I've Been Frosted

And, I wouldn't rub the eye, I would put, and hold there, a warm, clean compress a few times a day. Rubbing can irritate anything under the lid.

I agree with Cataholic, hold a warm, clean compress on her eye a few times a day - boiled lukewarm water. Take her to the vet if she doesn't open her eye in a few days. I hope she's not in pain.

Sending lots of good thoughts to her.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What Cataholic said!! A warm compress until all the goo loosens up. It's best to get her to the vet to see if it's something minor or major with that eye.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. I couldn't find out until about 5pm that the kitten's eye is opening again.. meanwhile, I was calling Debbie, making vet appointments..

I told her to keep an eye on how the kitten is doing, and to call me if anything changes or anything else comes up.

Then after reading the tips here just to do warm compresses, not wipes, I just now called her again to tell her that. I asked her how the kitten is doing now.. she is at Ron (boyfriend)'s place now, where the cats are. She told me she hasn't seen the kitten yet, she was just about to ask Ron to bring them out for her to see.

????? !!!!! At any rate, she is very thankful for my help and for caring about them.

Thanks again, so much, this is the first chance I've had to get back on line today, too.

Love from Pat (and cats)
    Death thought about it.

Stay away from cotton balls as the tiny little particles can get stuck in the eye. Instead, do what others have suggested but have a stack of soft facecloths handy for the compresses and never use the same one twice just in case it is an infection. As soon as one is used, into the washer it should go. Just my two cents worth......
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thanks, Vickie. Good point about cotton balls and not reusing facecloths. I'll tell her next time I talk to her.
    Death thought about it.